Author Topic: KSU Booze Cats  (Read 557675 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Booze Cats
« Reply #6225 on: August 18, 2022, 02:52:45 PM »
If you accept that Hughes sucks (and he does), there's no need for an extension. The notion that an extension will magically allow for Hughes to recruit better is stupid. He's actually had plenty of draft picks (including the first 1st rounder in KSU history) and still can't make an NCAA tourney. If you want to be cheap and avoid a buyout, just take our lumps for a year or two and let his contract expire - it's not like we can get much worse (if we go 4-22 in Big 12 instead of 8-16 - who cares - it still sucks).

If you gave him an extension because you genuinely think he's doing a good job... well, that means Gene is right there with the other ADs in K-State history who place zero value on fielding competitive teams (outside of football and men's b-ball).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: August 18, 2022, 04:54:34 PM »
I don't think it allows him to recruit better than he has been, but I do think it allows him to continue to recruit at the same level as opposed to much worse.  There aren't many, if any, head coaches that have contracts that are expiring as it's a pretty clear sign to players that they'll deal with a coaching change.  The cost of the buyout is the cost of not having a dogshit roster to hand off to the next guy.  When we do make a change, publicly being cheap about it ensures that any quality coach will stay away from our program.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: August 18, 2022, 07:14:32 PM »
Is this really anything more than a "we're not going to fire him so we have to extend him so we can recruit" extension?

no, and imo gene just needs to be honest about the fact that the extension is due to factors that have nothing to do with previous on-field success

The pro Pete crowd on Twitter are pointing to how much better the talent is in the program now as his success point. To me, that's problematic. He's upgraded the talent but we're what, 1, 2, 3 games better a year under Hughes than we were under Hill? This contract is bizarre. I guess the good news is that it might be the last one, for baseball anyway, that Gene gives.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:29 AM »
i'm unreasonably mad about this. it would seem like a minimum investment to try to be good at baseball and it's a cool AF sport.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: August 19, 2022, 09:03:56 AM »
He honestly hasn't really upgraded the talent if we're being honest with ourselves. Brad had a guy or two, just like Pete does. It's just the same program overall.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: August 19, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
do we have big donors who are like baseball only donors?  would imagine donating a bunch for the stadium and then getting this over and over would make you a little mad

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: August 19, 2022, 01:11:23 PM »
I thought it was weird to extend him but I wouldn't worry too much about it you guys. We're a football/basketball combo school now, and the last couple baseball seasons have actually been better and more fun.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: August 19, 2022, 01:45:45 PM »
how much would it cost to become a "good" baseball program? probably not a lot I bet. I say we do it. Just go for it. WOW!

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: August 19, 2022, 03:41:08 PM »
Well, we can feel great that we're stuck with Hughes for at least two more seasons (probably three) thanks to the buyout sitatuon with this new contract. He's now making 535k with escalators up to 635k in the next four years.

At that salary, we could absolutely have a coach who hasn't missed the NCAA tournament 80 percent of the time during a 20-plus year career and one who could probably finish in the top 5 in the Big 12.

Thanks Gene, you dumb butthole.

https://amp.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article264643739.html

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: August 19, 2022, 03:56:03 PM »
how much would it cost to become a "good" baseball program? probably not a lot I bet. I say we do it. Just go for it. WOW!

Imagine having a Miss St run, wow
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: August 19, 2022, 08:16:15 PM »

Imagine having a Miss St run, wow

Yeah, no. We'll never have that much talent, I don't give a damn if the coach is Terry Francona. I bet Mississippi State could never leave the state to recruit and they'd out recruit us.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: August 20, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »
If K-State decides to terminate his contract early without cause, it will owe Hughes 70% of his remaining contract value before July 14, 2024, 60% the following year and $635,000 at any point after July 15, 2025.

:facepalm:

Literally no one would hire him away.

Does his contract have a buyout if someone tries to hire him away?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: August 21, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »
Does it have a requirement to seek gainful employment with the new employment salary reducing the K-State payout?

That was in Brad Hill's contract.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: January 20, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »
Did they put the new turf down in TFS?

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: January 21, 2023, 09:39:36 AM »
Did they put the new turf down in TFS?

Hope so.  Old one had loser stink on it

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6240 on: January 21, 2023, 11:15:27 AM »
I’m glad Greg got @‘d by JamSam and restored some of his credibility bc right now I’m thinking about how this time last year Greg was crowing about how good the booze cats were going to be and we started the season like 0-10 or some crap

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: January 21, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »
Pete needs to reverse his trendline pretty quick, or the glistening sheen on that aura around Gene will start to diminish a bit.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: January 27, 2023, 11:09:16 PM »

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: February 07, 2023, 04:44:44 PM »
I’m glad Greg got @‘d by JamSam and restored some of his credibility bc right now I’m thinking about how this time last year Greg was crowing about how good the booze cats were going to be and we started the season like 0-10 or some crap
Lmao i worked for the team last year was I supposed to act like they were gonna be dogwater? I worked with the guys everyday. You have to make them think they are the best in order to perform at their best. It sucks yeah but you have to get in a positive mindset. There are so many variables in the college game that can change but coaching needs to be the number one thing that the administration should care about. We also have the least amount of money allocated to the sport in the entire Big 12 and just checked the new Big 12
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: February 07, 2023, 04:47:59 PM »
The analytics team is also all student volunteers except for one. The Analytics team will die this year because of lack of interest/new graduates. We did everything we can. K-State Baseball will be even worse because they won't have this group of hard working volunteers that I was very fortunate to be a part of last year and it makes me very sad. But such as life.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: February 07, 2023, 09:24:14 PM »
 :sdeek:
Do something about this crap, Gene!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: February 07, 2023, 09:28:18 PM »
The Analytics team will die this year because of lack of interest/new graduates.

This is surprising and sad. I've seen schools with sports analytics clubs who you would easily be able to pluck some students from. Perhaps K-State doesn't have much of a Stat department.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: February 07, 2023, 10:27:15 PM »
The Analytics team will die this year because of lack of interest/new graduates.

This is surprising and sad. I've seen schools with sports analytics clubs who you would easily be able to pluck some students from. Perhaps K-State doesn't have much of a Stat department.

Sports analytics is more of an economics/econometrics thing. K-State has 150-200 students that take Sports Economics every year and nobody from K-State baseball has contacted the faculty that teach this course about this analytics team.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: February 07, 2023, 10:52:28 PM »
Do something about this crap, Gene!

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: February 08, 2023, 07:48:59 AM »
I mean, I'm fairly certain Gene doesn't even pay attention to baseball and was super annoyed people kept asking him about it, so he just resigned dipshit Pete to make them go away for a little while.