Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 44333 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
**quietly Googles Gil Scott-Heron**

we almost lost detroit paul.

eff gil and eff detroit. i just made a post where i called pete(r), pumpkin eater and also used a twenty year old tribe rhyme from low end theory that included a reference to kid capri to describe his lack of posting in his mexican food thread. nobody acknowledged it. i'm like god damn van gogh hanging out with a bunch of belgians in the late 1880's in this thread. so frustrating.

pro tip: if you were trying to be cool, you just lost the script.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
**quietly Googles Gil Scott-Heron**

we almost lost detroit paul.

eff gil and eff detroit. i just made a post where i called pete(r), pumpkin eater and also used a twenty year old tribe rhyme from low end theory that included a reference to kid capri to describe his lack of posting in his mexican food thread. nobody acknowledged it. i'm like god damn van gogh hanging out with a bunch of belgians in the late 1880's in this thread. so frustrating.

pro tip: if you

were trying to be cool, you just lost the script.

Thanks rays Apple market but I really don't need your buy ten gallons get a free milk punch card. Pretty sure I'm not coming back but thanks for the concern.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Hey Pete, what the eff man?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Hey Pete, what the eff man?

OK, two things.

First, I have lost a BUNCH of weight during this dieting binge.  You should see me naked.  I'm starting to look pretty hot.

Second, I am nearing my weight loss goal.  Once I hit that, I intend to get back to a once a week update for the rest of the summer.

To sum up, I am looking good naked but have a little bit longer left before more updates.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Went to El Torito II today.  It's not Kansas Ave, it's off Central.

There's a grocery store (supermart) you have to walk through to get to the restaurant.  It's, from my perspective, a pretty typical Mexican grocery.  There were a variety of beef cuts in the carneceria that I'd never heard of.  They did have "flank" for under $4/lb.  Also like a ton of the cutest little Mexican babies/kids running around.  They are the best.

Anyway, I'm pretty much a noob at this so take this review with a grain of "sal," if you will.

The seating area of the restaurant is a small room, but looks pretty new and clean.  Tile floor, fresh paint, two flat screens playing a "telenovela" in the corners.  Also vintage B&W paintings of "banditos" and such (cool wood frames, too).  Tables are clean faux marble.  Staff was friendly and bilingual.  I chose to use English so I didn't make my friend uncomfortable, but also because what if she asked me a question and I didn't understand?  Would be really embarrassing.

I was pretty hungover so to drink I ordered an iced tea.  Pfft, she said no and laughed right in my face!  So I ordered a Coke instead.  It was like a real ass coke in a big bottle.  Nice!   :thumbs:

My friend recommended the tacos and they didn't have tamales so I went tacos.  Got two asada and two carnitas.  They serve them plain, and you add the cilantro and onions and salsa yourself.  I screwed up and forgot to put lime juice on them which I usually do.   :curse:  Both were pretty damn good and when I left I felt like a I drank two light beers.  Like a small food induced coma or something.  I could take a nap right now.

The only bad thing was this really obese KU fan came in and he kept licking all over his hands when he ate.  Like sucking his fingers and just being really gross.

Anyway, I'd go back for sure, but only after I sample some more places detailed in this thread.  Pictures forthcoming.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Awesome.  That place looks like a keeper.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Drove by all these wonderful places and it made me sad that this has gone no where.  KCK just can't catch a break.  Also, it made me sad that it was waaaaay too early for lunch.   :frown:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
got my mom a molcajete (mentioned earlier in this thread by pete) for mothers day. she seemed to enjoy it...  :dunno:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Shame on all of you. A KCK taco thread and no mention of Tacos On Wheels?  :facepalm:

Its at 299 S.10th St. just a couple blocks north of Kansas Ave.

The name is misleading since it's in a building now (former food truck). Pastor anything is my favorite.

First, Mr. Paul  Nyak... Nyak... Nyaka-gonna work here anymore anyway...

I will visit your Tacos on Wheels today, and I WILL BE THE JUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, it was freaking closed.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
:lol:

JUDGED!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
paul, that place sucks.  (see above)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
After Paul's dead-end suggestion on 10th street, I decided to stay on 10th street, but a few blocks south of Kansas Ave, and I found a gem....

El Poblano Taqueria
1003 Osage Ave. Kansas City, KS

Facade: Excellent.  Animated poblano pepper man, full menu tacked to the front of the building, security bars, their phone number listed in THREE different places on the front of the building, LOADS of blight….DELIGHTFUL!  Basically a home run here.

Décor/Ambience:  Good.  It’s half miniature grocery store and half café.  There is a little bar area around the cooking area, and a separate area with tables in toward the back.  The bar area is where the local dudes hang out and shoot the crap and stare at you and presumably make jokes about you and laugh their heads off….at least that’s what my colleague and I think that they were doing.  I do not know how frequently they get guys in slacks and dri-fit golf shirts, but I’d wager we were the first in quite a long time (if ever).  They have a wall-o’-international-calling cards that dwarfs El Pollo Rey.  You want to call somewhere south of Texas?  You get your ass to El Poblano, they will hook you up!  Also, their painting of the Virgin Mary was large, and prominently placed, unlike the little one tucked away in Camino Real II's dining room (sure, Camino has a shrine to Mary in the airlock area, but that doesn't mean you skimp on the dinning room...it's not an "either/or" type thing, IMO).

Service: Good.  They were friendly and quick.  They spent a bit too much time staring at us in disbelief, but other than that it was fine.

Food: Excellent.  I had a Carne Asada Taco, a Pastor Taco, and a Chorizo Tostada.  Each was amazingly good.  Unless you tell them otherwise, they load the tacos up with guacamole, verde salsa, cilantro, and onions.  The tortillas were great too, and they put the tacos in these little napkin holder thingies.  Adorable!  And, how about that side of radishes and limes with the taco….very fresh and delicious.  The serving plates were all logoed with various U.S. Navy inscriptions.  There is a really large and infamous Military surplus store a few miles away on Strong Ave. (“Mickey’s”), so I am guessing they went in there and loaded up.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
That is a lot of guac.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That is a lot of guac.

Yep, I'll bet you a peso that Pablano regulars ask for it on the side.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
RU-FI-OOOOOOO

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Pete, I feel like my brain just took a vacation to old Mexico. Thank you.