Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 43264 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

they're ok, but why

there are a lot better wings in kc

We just get them as a side deal and split an order amongst a few guys.  I totally agree that other places have better wings.  They are super tangy and have too much sauce, but it's nice to have one or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
agree hey bud I've gotten them too

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that Johnson Drive and Metcalf has taken the crown of "Best mexican restaurants in one area"

Check this out (All within like .3 miles of each other)

1. Jose Peppers- Just ask Dlew

2. Chipotle - DUH

3. Don Chilitos - My mom used to eat there as a kid and its still in business, so you know its good.

4. Freebirds - Knock off chipotle but its good for a change up

5. Taco Bell - Best known mexican restaurant in the U S of A.

6. Salsa Grill - Owned and operated by EMAW alums.  http://salsagrillks.com/

Well that seals it. Johnson Drive and Metcalf will now be referred to as "little Mexico"

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
WORLD CUP EDITION TODAY!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I'll believe it when I see it.  We've been hurt before.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Only one new pic.  We hit El Camino Real II, which was extensively reviewed earlier in this thread.  They have the best TV situation in the Greater KS Ave area, which is to say 2 30 inch flat screens (one kinda blurry).

The audio was in Spanish, on Univision.  Very good commercials. 

The Al Pastor was quite good today, but the waitress thought a colleague of mine asked for fish tacos, but he really asked for Carne Asada.  So, it probably got spit in when he got his replacement tacos.  Touch and go there for a bit.

The crowd was lively.  The Manager had his 5 young children in there situated in the best TV viewing spots.  We sat beside them, and one of them translated stuff from the broadcast to me.  I would ask why they called a foul, his Dad would yell something in Spanish, and the kid would say "I can't say that, that was a cuss word."  It was a pleasant time.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
El Torito II has two or three flat screens at least that size.  They always have telenovelas on them. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
that sounds adorbs, pete!

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that Johnson Drive and Metcalf has taken the crown of "Best mexican restaurants in one area"

Check this out (All within like .3 miles of each other)

1. Jose Peppers- Just ask Dlew

2. Chipotle - DUH

3. Don Chilitos - My mom used to eat there as a kid and its still in business, so you know its good.

4. Freebirds - Knock off chipotle but its good for a change up

5. Taco Bell - Best known mexican restaurant in the U S of A.

The Metcalf/Johnson drive corridor is the Isle Mujeres of the Shawnee Mission area.

That's why I moved there  :thumbsup:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Anyone know of a place in the Olathe/Lenexa/OP area (hell I guess could be KCK) that sells the crap out of fantastic tasting tamales?  Like by the dozen, to go, for freezing and eating at a later date?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Anyone know of a place in the Olathe/Lenexa/OP area (hell I guess could be KCK) that sells the crap out of fantastic tasting tamales?  Like by the dozen, to go, for freezing and eating at a later date?
Margaritas!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I haven't been, but some of my peoples love the crap out of KMacho.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

bichelmeyer's

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Only one new pic.  We hit El Camino Real II, which was extensively reviewed earlier in this thread.  They have the best TV situation in the Greater KS Ave area, which is to say 2 30 inch flat screens (one kinda blurry).

The audio was in Spanish, on Univision.  Very good commercials. 

The Al Pastor was quite good today, but the waitress thought a colleague of mine asked for fish tacos, but he really asked for Carne Asada.  So, it probably got spit in when he got his replacement tacos.  Touch and go there for a bit.

The crowd was lively.  The Manager had his 5 young children in there situated in the best TV viewing spots.  We sat beside them, and one of them translated stuff from the broadcast to me.  I would ask why they called a foul, his Dad would yell something in Spanish, and the kid would say "I can't say that, that was a cuss word."  It was a pleasant time.

I've been there a couple of times.  Except I liked it for the food, as far as Univision is concerned, the actresses all looked like gringos.  Not saying that's bad, just saying.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Glad you asked, because I don't eff around with this.

reyna's bakery kansas city ks

Call ahead, and make an order, OR just show up.  If you just show up on a normal day, you can prolly get half dozen or dozen no prob.

You are dealing with prolly the premier tamale outfit in town, so COME CORRECT!  I go to Reyna's  a couple times a month for a chalupa or gordita, but I ALWAYS call ahead for a big tamale order and have NEVER been anything but delighted.

Worth the drive.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Case closed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Bonito michuacan

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
pete already closed this ticket

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Call ahead, and make an order, OR just show up.  If you just show up on a normal day, you can prolly get half dozen or dozen no prob.

You are dealing with prolly the premier tamale outfit in town, so COME CORRECT!  I go to Reyna's  a couple times a month for a chalupa or gordita, but I ALWAYS call ahead for a big tamale order and have NEVER been anything but delighted.

Worth the drive.

Hey Pete, when I show up will they already be frozen?  Thinking on grabbing them on my way out of town but I doubt they freeze in a cooler as I don't have an elite cooler.   :frown:  Or if they will keep just a few days cold in my shitty cooler then maybe that's good enough.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They have lard so I wouldn't want them sitting around luke warm for a few days.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
They have lard so I wouldn't want them sitting around luke warm for a few days.
Lard is totally fine at room temperature, and won't go rancid for months
:adios:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Worth the drive.

Hey Pete, when I show up will they already be frozen?  Thinking on grabbing them on my way out of town but I doubt they freeze in a cooler as I don't have an elite cooler.   :frown:  Or if they will keep just a few days cold in my shitty cooler then maybe that's good enough.

They always have a few dozen packaged up in 6 counts ready to sell, but if you call ahead they may freeze them for you.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Tamale pro tip:  Almost all restaurants and ppl with side tamale biz's freeze them intentionally.  Most tell you they are like gumbo and better after being frozen.

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this top 5, Pete?

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/article_de6787e8-b625-11e4-9a43-0b8a4f7f512d.html

it's terrible.

bonito is #1. el camino is #2. el torito is #5.

the others i have yet to try.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."