Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149566 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #800 on: September 02, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Quote from:  not Mark Twain
The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 02, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »

It's literally the coldest big city in America for June, July, and August. But it turns out most of our cities are ridiculously hot then so it's not bad.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 02, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
so apparently we are going to Mrs. Mikey's friends wedding next Memorial Day.   It's in Oakland?

I'm looking at making it a 4-5 day trip for our 10th anniversary.    Sounds like we will want to stay in Oakland for the wedding Sat/Sunday, but where else should we look?

what do you like to do and where in Oakland are you staying?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 02, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »

It's literally the coldest big city in America for June, July, and August. But it turns out most of our cities are ridiculously hot then so it's not bad.

When I was a little kid and first started watching Cubs games, whenever they played in San Francisco I thought Candlestick Park was up in the mountains or something because people would be wearing coats in the middle of July.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm not reading 33 pages of this crap, but I'm going there in 3 weeks.

Should I just go to tripadvisor and read their material or are you people serving up some San Francisco treats in here?  If so, summarize.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

Should I just go to tripadvisor and read their material or are you people serving up some San Francisco treats in here?  If so, summarize.
Just go to trip advisor

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »

For good deals, mention to everyone you meet how much you loved burning man this year
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 02, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
the thing about this thread is that san francisco is identical to los angeles, in pretty much every way. I guess that san fran has a few more hills and trees (and mountain view is a pleasant small town when they don't run out of beer), but that's literally all that is different.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
the thing about this thread is that san francisco is identical to los angeles, in pretty much every way. I guess that san fran has a few more hills and trees (and mountain view is a pleasant small town when they don't run out of beer), but that's literally all that is different.

:fatty:

The Big Train

« Reply #809 on: September 02, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
so where is the LA thread then clamsy? or should this one just be changed to san francisco/LA things?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »
so apparently we are going to Mrs. Mikey's friends wedding next Memorial Day.   It's in Oakland?

I'm looking at making it a 4-5 day trip for our 10th anniversary.    Sounds like we will want to stay in Oakland for the wedding Sat/Sunday, but where else should we look?

probably the closest Hilton.    We like a variety of things.    I haven't been to Frisco since I was 10, and my wife has never been.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 03, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »

probably the closest Hilton.    We like a variety of things.    I haven't been to Frisco since I was 10, and my wife has never been.

Don't stay at the Oakland airport Hilton. Basically, unless you're stating at the Marriott downtown or the Claremont in Berkeley just stay in San Fran. Bart is kind of confusing but works really well if it's close to where you want to go.

A bike ride across the golden gate bridge and ferry ride back is a great thing to do. Cable car rides are probably my favorite touristy thing to do in the city. Beach Chalet/Ocean Beach/Golden Gate Park makes a great afternoon or full day. And there are countless concerts, comedy shows, theater, hikes, great restaurants, sporting events, sex shows, wine tastings, etc. depending on the specific days you are here and what you like.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »

Don't stay at the Oakland airport Hilton. Basically, unless you're stating at the Marriott downtown or the Claremont in Berkeley just stay in San Fran. Bart is kind of confusing but works really well if it's close to where you want to go.

A bike ride across the golden gate bridge and ferry ride back is a great thing to do. Cable car rides are probably my favorite touristy thing to do in the city. Beach Chalet/Ocean Beach/Golden Gate Park makes a great afternoon or full day. And there are countless concerts, comedy shows, theater, hikes, great restaurants, sporting events, sex shows, wine tastings, etc. depending on the specific days you are here and what you like.

Great.  We are into good food, any can't miss places?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »
Great.  We are into good food, any can't miss places?

You'll have to miss some of these, but here's a start:

http://www.chezpanisse.com/intro.php (Berkeley)
http://www.lazybearsf.com/
http://statebirdsf.com/
http://www.thehse.com/

Probably with the first three you should look into making reservations as soon as you know your dates. (Not sure how far out they allow reservations, but it's good to check). Also spend some time on yelp doing research, these are just 4 off the top of my head.

I'd also recommend one of the Mission burrito places like El Farolito and maybe an Off the Grid event to sample food trucks. http://offthegridsf.com/

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 03, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »

so where is the LA thread then clamsy? or should this one just be changed to san francisco/LA things?

The thread is called Dallas things
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/roo/5200199518.html

Stop moving to Oakland. Our landlords are greedy, unaccountable and vicious. They take every chance they can to raise rental costs. We can't afford to live here anymore. Maybe you don't understand, you bring all of your money and privilege and resources from New York, from LA, from Silicon Valley, we're not like you. We're blue collar, we're busted, we struggle to keep our heads above water, healthy food on the table, roofs over our heads. We're not start ups and cafes and gastropubs (WTF? Gastropub?) We're doughnuts and churches and liquor stores. We're community gardens and fried chicken. We know it's pretty here, it was in the 90s when you wouldn't have anything to do with us, so not hip and not San Francisco. It was in the 80s when you were afraid of us and our dangerous neighborhoods. We have yards and wide streets, old buildings that look like ships. You're turning our neighborhoods into Brooklyn and our freeway into LA. You're replacing our family neighborhoods with bad over manicured facial hair and fixed gear bicycles, four dollar cups of coffee and high end food trucks. Our landlords aren't responsible enough to handle your presence, your money, your ambivalence to how you affect the world around you. They see dollar signs, dream of becoming powerful real estate moguls, or at least have no qualms about taking as much as they can from whoever will give it. And you give it. You have it to give. You can't seem to love something for what it is, you need to leave your mark, possess, influence. We love what we are already, without you. 

You can have San Francisco. It's already been destroyed.

Please stop moving to Oakland. Go home, go back to whatever place it was you already mumped up, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, San Francisco, Palo Alto. Go back there. Stay there.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 08, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
Looks like Rollie Fingers fathered an illegitimate son while he played for Oakland.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
maybe it goes here

idk where to put this but it's pretty interesting

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 22, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/roo/5200199518.html

Stop moving to Oakland. Our landlords are greedy, unaccountable and vicious. They take every chance they can to raise rental costs. We can't afford to live here anymore. Maybe you don't understand, you bring all of your money and privilege and resources from New York, from LA, from Silicon Valley, we're not like you. We're blue collar, we're busted, we struggle to keep our heads above water, healthy food on the table, roofs over our heads. We're not start ups and cafes and gastropubs (WTF? Gastropub?) We're doughnuts and churches and liquor stores. We're community gardens and fried chicken. We know it's pretty here, it was in the 90s when you wouldn't have anything to do with us, so not hip and not San Francisco. It was in the 80s when you were afraid of us and our dangerous neighborhoods. We have yards and wide streets, old buildings that look like ships. You're turning our neighborhoods into Brooklyn and our freeway into LA. You're replacing our family neighborhoods with bad over manicured facial hair and fixed gear bicycles, four dollar cups of coffee and high end food trucks. Our landlords aren't responsible enough to handle your presence, your money, your ambivalence to how you affect the world around you. They see dollar signs, dream of becoming powerful real estate moguls, or at least have no qualms about taking as much as they can from whoever will give it. And you give it. You have it to give. You can't seem to love something for what it is, you need to leave your mark, possess, influence. We love what we are already, without you.

You can have San Francisco. It's already been destroyed.

Please stop moving to Oakland. Go home, go back to whatever place it was you already mumped up, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, San Francisco, Palo Alto. Go back there. Stay there.

Pretty awful post, but they are right about the bolded part.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 14, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
twitter layoffs are big news right now! and holy crap what a way to do it!

http://sfist.com/2015/10/14/some_twitter_employees_found_out_th.php