Author Topic: engagement rings  (Read 15427 times)

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: engagement rings
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
This is a terrifying thread. How do i delete it?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Pro-Tip: Put the ring in some kind of food nachos

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
Also, if she has a pinterest page, she's probably got a subsection for like wedding stuff. I'm guessing that will steer you in the right direction.
whoa 'ol Opossum sounds like he knows a lot about this!

:surprised:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
My advice: Get some jewelry with legendary Argonian craftsmanship.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Pro-Tip: Put the ring in some kind of food

Yeah, this always goes over well. Unless she's fat. Then she might choke and die.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Locally owned jewelry stores will price match online on the stone; stick with GIA stones only.  Then you still get to see it with your own eyes before you're paying for it.  Let them make the money on the band. 

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Moissanite.

It would be foolish not to buy Moissanite, which is sometimes called a Russian diamond.  It is sparklier than a diamond, and chemically so similar to a diamond that a jewler cannot tell the difference with one of those lens things they put in their eyes. 
My wife gets compliments all the time on her ring because of how sparkly it is.

It also costs about 1/2 what a diamond would cost.  I'm not recommending deceiving your fiance though, you should be honest with her.  If you frame the question as "Hey, would you like a Russian diamond that is twice as big for the same price?" she will be fine with it unless she isn't very bright.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Re: engagement rings
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Also, if she has a pinterest page, she's probably got a subsection for like wedding stuff. I'm guessing that will steer you in the right direction.
whoa 'ol Opossum sounds like he knows a lot about this!

:surprised:

No, denied. I'm just a smooth cat.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
color is pretty important. don't sacrafice a whole bunch there. her friends will be able to see the color just during casual conversation. sacrafice some on the cut and then clarity if you need. buy a simple band/ring to go w/ it. she can always upgrade this later if she wants something more interesting. maybe would make a nice 5th anniversary gift! good luck.

Hate to disagree with goE founding father Rick Daris, but I have it on good authority (Canadian friend) that cut is the most important of the four Cs. You want "ideal" or "very ideal" or whatever is the best, and that can hide some of the other stuff if it has too. (Although you shouldn't have to hide anything, :kstategrad:)  I'm not saying color isn't important, but it's the cut that makes the diamond most sparkly. Definitely think the diamond separate/simpler band idea is a strong one, the band is easy to change.

I bought Mrs. WonderMeal's ring from BrilliantEarth.com, which was really easy to use, all GIA certified, and all of their diamonds are conflict free. (Most come from Canada, like my Canadian friend.) She'll appreciate the bling and the fact that she can rest assured knowing that her diamond wasn't mined by someone who had their feet and hands cut off shortly after working a 19 hour day in the mines.  A bunch of my EMAW buddies (I see you, SkinBen) have since used Brilliant Earth on my recommendation, and all have been very happy with it.

Also, this is personal preference, but I think gold or white gold is the way to go. Platinum seems kind of like a fad, and also just looks like silver or steel or something to me. But hey, we're all EMAW fans here, so different strokes for different folks :cheers:.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
FTR, my wife appreciated the fact that someone may have died to provide us with her blood diamond.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
FTR, my wife appreciated the fact that someone may have died to provide us with her blood diamond.

Conflict free diamond, lol.  That is just fantastic.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
Go to store buy biggest diamond you see, you're welcome

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
if your not going to do online, I like Swirk on the Plaza.  Very small and relaxed place, pretty hard to beat if you want something custom.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
thanks, now we have ads for Adiamor, Exquisite Engagement Rings on our page.

Those dudes have lined several of the owners pockets, with ICE bruh!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
Thank god for the movie "Blood Diamond". My wife saw that movie and made the decision she didn't want a diamond. We both wear platinum bands with no diamonds.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
man, what a fun yet stressful time.

everyone keeps telling me they have the sparkliest diamonds, but they all look the same.

o boi do i know it

brilliantearth.com was great for me because my lady hates colonialism/people getting their hands chopped off. Also I did not hear about it from WonderMeal and we are not friends irl.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:48:48 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
there are definitely more brilliant and sparkling diamond cuts.   My wife gets a compliment on hers about every 3 weeks or so from strangers.    A lot of it has to do with lighting, but the diamond can really sparkle if cut right.

You really need to know what setting you want, as some can let you get away with a grade less on the clarity to enhance color or cut.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
Question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about engagement/wedding rings.

Is the engagement ring different than the wedding ring? Like do you buy an engagement ring AND a wedding ring? Does the engagement ring turn into the wedding ring?

So confused.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
Question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about engagement/wedding rings.

Is the engagement ring different than the wedding ring? Like do you buy an engagement ring AND a wedding ring? Does the engagement ring turn into the wedding ring?

So confused.

Separate a lot of times, same a lot of times.  Depends on the bride.

A lot of the time the engagement is the large rock and the wedding is a lesser decorative band that they wear right next to each other.  My wife had hers fused together so that they are technically one piece now. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
Moissanite.

It would be foolish not to buy Moissanite, which is sometimes called a Russian diamond.  It is sparklier than a diamond, and chemically so similar to a diamond that a jewler cannot tell the difference with one of those lens things they put in their eyes. 
My wife gets compliments all the time on her ring because of how sparkly it is.

It also costs about 1/2 what a diamond would cost.  I'm not recommending deceiving your fiance though, you should be honest with her.  If you frame the question as "Hey, would you like a Russian diamond that is twice as big for the same price?" she will be fine with it unless she isn't very bright.

True story, I thought Moissanite was some London East End slang term used in Snatch that was not a real thing.

"A moissanite is an artificial diamond, Lincoln. Its Mickey Mouse, mate. Spurious. Not genuine. And its worth...eff-all."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

So confused.

A lot of the time the engagement is the large rock and the wedding is a lesser decorative band that they wear right next to each other.  My wife had hers fused together so that they are technically one piece now.

Ya I think the large rock (or enormous if you're a :kstategrad: ) followed by a tiny, usually matching wedding band is what most people do. And then I think a lot of people get them fused together just because it's easier to keep track of, and then they're not getting all twisted and having to fiddle with them anymore.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »

So confused.

Ditto.  The commercial stores usually have engagement/wedding ring sets that match the design of the other ring.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »
If you get a solitaire diamond for the engagement ring, it is very easy to find a wedding band that is shaped to go around the engagement diamond.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »

So confused.

+1 

The downside is that now she wants the "other side" of the ring.  Too much bling I think looks gaudy and like you're an old whore.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »

So confused.

Do both need to be hid in food, or just the initial engagement ring?