Author Topic: Fixing the Octagon.  (Read 119853 times)

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the Octagon.
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Rent an apartment or house somewhere in the Vattier-Thurston-Kearney neighborhood, park your car in the back and walk your ass to class and to Aggieville.  Carpool to tailgates and the Bram.  This was how we did in the late 90s early 2000s.  Have things changed that much?  When has campus parking ever been viable?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
You know what may be better than buying half of Manhattan and making one super mega parking structure?  Bus system/pub transport.

That sound was your mind being blown.

TRANSPORTATION IN MANHATTAN
Neither Kansas State University nor the city of Manhattan has public bus service. Local taxi service is available.

:sdeek:  I never used the MTD at Illinois because I liked to walk unless I was really drunk and it was really late and it was really cold out, then yeah.  Still to not have any?  You guys :frown:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
You know what may be better than buying half of Manhattan and making one super mega parking structure?  Bus system/pub transport.

Neither Kansas State University nor the city of Manhattan has public bus service. Local taxi service is available.

:sdeek:  I never used the MTD at Illinois because I liked to walk unless I was really drunk and it was really late and it was really cold out, then yeah.  Still to not have any?  You guys :frown:

Used to have an excuse of not having a pop in excess of 50k, so no federal grants to help fund it.  Now they are over 50k and the grants were available, but the city said no.  Iirc, they wanted the uni to pay for the rest of it since they thought no one other than students would use it. 

Retards.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

Used to have an excuse of not having a pop in excess of 50k, so no federal grants to help fund it.  Now they are over 50k and the grants were available, but the city said no.  Iirc, they wanted the uni to pay for the rest of it since they thought no one other than students would use it. 

Retards.

Man that's horse crap on the city's part.  Illinois' is actually the cities' (Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District), but they have a deal with the uiversity to provide campus public transportation for the students. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline qatzmanchu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
One of the best parts about KState is the campus is ped friendly. Those worried about parking should go check out Terra State or something. Looks like plenty of parking there.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »

Retards.

I think Riley county is one of the most impoverished counties in the state even.  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
most of the frats are close enough to walk so most of those people do.
even the frats that are really far away (ahem) hardly ever drive and park.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Retards.
not entirely true. 
http://www.rileycountyks.gov/index.aspx?nid=795

I'm not sure what they are going to do with it for 2013 since the conservative ass hats on the council are being conservative ass hats.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Fixing the Octagon.
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
DNR the majority of this thread.

1. painting the risers makes a huge aesthetic difference for essentially no cost.  this simply needs to happen

2. is it feasible to relocate current west side chair backs in the north and south ends?  Then replace the west side with modern plush premium seating for the first 10-20 rows and go upgraded chair backs the rest of the way up?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fixing the Octagon.
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
DNR the majority of this thread.

1. painting the risers makes a huge aesthetic difference for essentially no cost.  this simply needs to happen

2. is it feasible to relocate current west side chair backs in the north and south ends?  Then replace the west side with modern plush premium seating for the first 10-20 rows and go upgraded chair backs the rest of the way up?

Would make the westies pretty comfy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Number 1 pet peeve when I was a student: People complaining about parking. Just walk to class you lazy frat boy.

Or you could just put in a proper amount of parking like normal people. KSU's east stadium lot and engineering lot are roughly equivalent to what my highschool of 2500 students had.

Offline qatzmanchu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
I try to go to as many zoning meetings as possible in our neighborhood, and I swear to god that an hour 15 of the hour and a half meering is a bunch of elderly locals bitching about the parking. JFC if its such a big rough ridin' deal move to the suburbs. Same with you parking nazis. Go to ku or some other god forsaken shithole with a bus. The rest of will enjoy the majesty that is walking up the hill in front of anderson hall, or lovers lane or walking down denison.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:53 PM »
God you are horrible

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »
I try to go to as many zoning meetings as possible in our neighborhood, and I swear to god that an hour 15 of the hour and a half meering is a bunch of elderly locals bitching about the parking. JFC if its such a big rough ridin' deal move to the suburbs. Same with you parking nazis. Go to ku or some other god forsaken shithole with a bus. The rest of will enjoy the majesty that is walking up the hill in front of anderson hall, or lovers lane or walking down denison.

You have neighborhood zoning meetings? I thought MHK had a city-wide zoning board. Whatever. That said, you make some good points.

Offline qatzmanchu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
Not to mention, ive found through out my life that the same people who bitch about parking are the same people who will drive around a walmart parking lot for a half hour waiting for a front row spot to open up, while all the nonretarded people who took thr first spot available are waiting in the checkout line

Offline qatzmanchu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:45 AM »
God you are horrible

Thanks CNS, I like the rest of this thread got off topic about the octagon. Will redirect course.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »
I paid for a preferred spot in the garage and never complain about parking.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:26 AM »
People, in general, are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

These are the same idiots that would literally work themselves into a conniption fit during the planning and construction years for the Sprint Center because it was located downtown and the traffic would be gridlock and nowhere to park their car.  Neither of which was a relevant concern in the slightest.

It's a Midwestern thing.  Urban density is scary.  The thought of public transportation is more scary.  The thought of parking their car in a parking garage a block away from an arena or stadium instead of on the outskirts of a 100 acre asphalt parking lot and then walking a quarter mile is also foreign and frightening to many people. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:15:20 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2013, 01:04:41 AM »

I walked whenever possible. Made me feel good.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »

These are the same idiots that would literally work themselves into a conniption fit during the planning and construction years for the Sprint Center because it was located downtown and the traffic would be gridlock and nowhere to park their car.  Neither of which was a relevant concern in the slightest.

It's a Midwestern thing.  Urban density is scary.  The thought of public transportation is more scary.  The thought of parking their car in a parking garage a block away from an arena or stadium instead of on the outskirts of a 100 acre asphalt parking lot and then walking a quarter mile is also foreign and frightening to many people.

Uselessly wasting a bunch of time must be a midwestern thing too as I grew up in Philadelphia and we don't have time to stroll the yellow brick road everyday. A city designed in the 1600's with 6 million residents has less parking issues than a town of 50,000 in the middle of no-where.

The garage is full.
The lots are full.
The dorms are overflowingly full (8 people are crammed into 4 person jardine apartments) fwiw.
crap, even today the brand effing new rec was full.

It's like they are designing this place for 10 years in the past as opposed to 10 years in the future.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:04 AM »

Uselessly wasting a bunch of time must be a midwestern thing too as I grew up in Philadelphia and we don't have time to stroll the yellow brick road everyday. A city designed in the 1600's with 6 million residents has less parking issues than a town of 50,000 in the middle of no-where.

The garage is full.
The lots are full.
The dorms are overflowingly full (8 people are crammed into 4 person jardine apartments) fwiw.
crap, even today the brand effing new rec was full.

It's like they are designing this place for 10 years in the past as opposed to 10 years in the future.

None of this really has an effect on whether an on campus arena would work.

Agree with a lot of what you're saying in that Manhattan is way behind the curve in providing the necessary infrastructure for the population growth and development.

Replacing the surface lots with more parking structures would go a long way on campus.  UMKC has more parking garages than K-State.

The campus bus system, like every other school in the BigXII, would also help considerably.

More, on campus housing is apparently coming.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
I was actually pretty serious about lifting the roof and getting a second level in there. Think it could be done, and we could get rid of those very touchdown clubesque boxes we have now and get some real VIP stuff with bars and lounges.

http://www.rooflift.com/e-z-riser-process

I like this idea but I don't know if they can jack the Octagon's roof that easily, it is more substantial than your typical warehouse's roof due to the clearspan requirements.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
LED ribbons are awesome! Get one. or two.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »

THIS

Somebody did a study when The Royals were actively campaigning AGAINST the downtown ballpark...The biggest fear of those that didn't want a downtown ballpark was parking...the average walk from a parking spot to the gates in the Sports Complex is something like .2 of a miles...the average walk from downtown parking to the gates @ the new Busch Stadium in StL is like .15 miles. It's just the psychology of the midwest that drives people to always bitch about parking for some reason

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »
LED ribbons are awesome! Get one. or two.

Excessive commercialization of something that's already too over-commercialized. Don't want ribbons. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.