Author Topic: buying a house  (Read 80865 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: buying a house
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
I am surprised we are 4 pages in w/o a realtor posting.  I guess a gE realtor maybe savvy enough to use pm

here's the thing with a buyers agent, they get a cut of whatever you buy this place for. the sellers agent also gets a cut. this all takes away from your negotiating power. the seller is going to part with their house at $180k a lot easier than they would at $180k with 20% going to a couple of JCCC grads.
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
i have no student loan debt, paid cash for my ksu education  :cool:

also I pay approximately 0 dollars a month on health insurance  :dance: ($5 for dental though)

between my wife and I we have about $100k in student loan debt. no big whoop.

yeah me too. agree is super pud.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »
Well of course.  Fanning's sock doesn't have a mother as it is a sock and ipso facto that mother does not have a career.

i think you're mistaken, mr. bread.  fanning's sock is a female.  a girl.  female.  get that through your head.

Thank you, sys. And suck it, bread, and whoever else called me a sock.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
Depending on the quantity of value you think you can create through the renovations, I wouldn't worry about the 20% down unless your renovations wouldn't increase the value of the home enough to cross that 20% threshold once complete...

All that said, PMI isn't very expensive.  Mine is like $80/mo.

good point and tip for our listener, cns casey.  he should do that.  $80/month is expensive though, in that $960/year would be a better return on the 15% of your house money than you could expect to get in the markets.  and no risk.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
If you are looking at houses and want to know what the homeowners insurance would be on that particular house, I could help with that.

so can just about every insurance website ever. or my insurance dude.

sorry guy.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
you know me so well. do not itemize. will start after buying a house though.

don't bother.  you aren't going to even be close to your standard deductions once you're married.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
If you are looking at houses and want to know what the homeowners insurance would be on that particular house, I could help with that.

sorry guy.

that was really mean, kcfdcat.  i maybe will give you bad advice from here on out, and hope you take it.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »

sorry guy.

that was really mean, kcfdcat.  i maybe will give you bad advice from here on out, and hope you take it.

it was. sorry TBT. hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

note to self. do not take sys advice.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
Well of course.  Fanning's sock doesn't have a mother as it is a sock and ipso facto that mother does not have a career.

i think you're mistaken, mr. bread.  fanning's sock is a female.  a girl.  female.  get that through your head.

Thank you, sys. And suck it, bread, and whoever else called me a sock.

this fanning sock crap is creepier than anything fitz ever did to random 17 year old townies in his mother's basement.

:users:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: buying a house
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
I am surprised we are 4 pages in w/o a realtor posting.  I guess a gE realtor maybe savvy enough to use pm
Have you ever met a realtor? If there was a realtor on here, we'd hear about it 5 times a day at least.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: buying a house
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Have you ever met a realtor? If there was a realtor on here, we'd hear about it 5 times a day at least.

And, it would be a great sign of who not to hire as a realtor.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
KCFDcat, have you approached HGTV for possible inclusion on a future episode of House Hunters or Property Virgins (w/ Sandra Rinomato)?

based upon your posts here i think you'd make a great subject for the show

this is a great option. do they pay you for that kind of stuff? I'll look into it. would wear an emaw shirt for every shot of course.

did you talk to anyone when you called HGTV? 

http://www.hgtv.com/about-us/are-you-getting-ready-to-buy-a-home/index.html

sending them an email as we speak. have to attach a picture. looking for something super elite and sexy. good thing I am both of those things.

is this you guys?  you do seem kind of new and moderny, not sure about the husker you decided to marry though, but i guess she's prob old school. 

Style Battle Near Downtown Kansas City
A couple with a budget of $250,000 want out of their cramped condo, so they look for a large single family home near downtown Kansas City, but they don't agree when it comes to style: She likes old and charming, while he prefers new and modern.

tonight at 9pm   :fistpump:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Nope not us. Didn't do the TV thing, did buy a house in Brookline though. Just finished renovations :Woohoo:

Also getting married in Saturday, so there's that.

Also, paid for the house 100% in cash. :cool:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »
i knew it was you guys, your denial just proves it.  did you actually meet suzanne whang in person, what was she like? 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
Nope not us. Didn't do the TV thing, did buy a house in Brookline though. Just finished renovations :Woohoo:

Also getting married in Saturday, so there's that.

Also, paid for the house 100% in cash. :cool:
:cool:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
KCFDcat, have you approached HGTV for possible inclusion on a future episode of House Hunters or Property Virgins (w/ Sandra Rinomato)?

based upon your posts here i think you'd make a great subject for the show

this is a great option. do they pay you for that kind of stuff? I'll look into it. would wear an emaw shirt for every shot of course.

did you talk to anyone when you called HGTV? 

http://www.hgtv.com/about-us/are-you-getting-ready-to-buy-a-home/index.html

sending them an email as we speak. have to attach a picture. looking for something super elite and sexy. good thing I am both of those things.

is this you guys?  you do seem kind of new and moderny, not sure about the husker you decided to marry though, but i guess she's prob old school. 

Style Battle Near Downtown Kansas City
A couple with a budget of $250,000 want out of their cramped condo, so they look for a large single family home near downtown Kansas City, but they don't agree when it comes to style: She likes old and charming, while he prefers new and modern.

tonight at 9pm   :fistpump:

Let's hope their realtor points them to a nice JoCo alternative.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
In the process of buying soon.  Anyone bought a new build?  Pros/Cons?

It looks like it's either that or buying a pre-1950 pre-1940 home.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
pretty much everything you need to know about building is here
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=26704.0

Thank SD for his time

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »

I am thinking you are talking about one already built rather than one you are building?

I bought a new build before - do research on the company that built it and get some sort of warranty.  I had some little things like issues with an outlet here or there, a cable jack, a garage issue, and some caulking that was missed that I would have them come in and fix.  Most was things that I could've done myself but it was nice to put on a professional.

Anything you think you might want to do/change in the future, try to work into negotiations.  Even if you want something that you will buy professionally installed, try to make them do it.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »

I am thinking you are talking about one already built rather than one you are building?

I bought a new build before - do research on the company that built it and get some sort of warranty.  I had some little things like issues with an outlet here or there, a cable jack, a garage issue, and some caulking that was missed that I would have them come in and fix.  Most was things that I could've done myself but it was nice to put on a professional.

Anything you think you might want to do/change in the future, try to work into negotiations.  Even if you want something that you will buy professionally installed, try to make them do it.

Yeah, didn't clarify.  Went through 10 pages of that previous thread and pretty much got that it's beneficial to have fresh eggs, an upstairs and downstairs laundry, and kim carnes thinks everyone is terrible.

But yeah, it's a new build community, about 15-20 different designs/sizes of house that they will start building and you pick layout/different options/finishes/etc.  When you are talking about getting something done in the future to negotiate, what do you mean... like try and get them to do it when they are building?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
Have bought 2 new builds. You will have some difficulty getting the little crap fixed/finished by the builder, but it's still worth it. Make good lists of things that need fixed or corrected. We have had a 30 day check list and a 1 year check list in both instances. Stay on them, they don't want a bad reputation about not following up. Walk through Ye neighborhood and find a couple of people that have bought through the builder you are looking to buy from and ask them for feedback on their work and responsiveness after the sale.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Have bought 2 new builds. You will have some difficulty getting the little crap fixed/finished by the builder, but it's still worth it. Make good lists of things that need fixed or corrected. We have had a 30 day check list and a 1 year check list in both instances. Stay on them, they don't want a bad reputation about not following up. Walk through Ye neighborhood and find a couple of people that have bought through the builder you are looking to buy from and ask them for feedback on their work and responsiveness after the sale.

What made it worth it?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »

What made it worth it?
not having to deal with the previous owner's dead skin flakes and dust mites and other gross crap that you can't see or remove.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
seems like a pain in the ass

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
i'm very picky and don't want to deal with other's choice of cabinet pulls