Author Topic: T Gipson. Man.  (Read 15635 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: T Gipson. Man.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
What would be the other way of looking at it?

That JO is not a senior that has played himself out of the starting lineup and doesn't spend half the time of watching a sophomore play with more heart, defensive intensity, and offensive assertiveness than he does?

Now you've got me confused!

I hope we get the answer on tomorrow night's #oscar radio show*!

*Which is interfering with the premier of EMAW Bachelor :curse:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
If I were to look at it differently I'd start by not looking at it as an either or proposition.  If I couldn't wrap my hands around that I'd go with they are two completely different players and the demands of this offense plays to the strengths of one guy more than the other guy.

I could see how it would be easy and ironic for someone to play the lazy card though.

catzacker

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
yeah, JO had twice the production and minutes last year under a coach who demanded effort, intensity, and hustle to play, so I could see where people would think that's the problem this year.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
yeah, JO had twice the production and minutes last year under a coach who demanded effort, intensity, and hustle to play, so I could see where people would think that's the problem this year.

oscar doesn't demand effort?

catzacker

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

oscar doesn't demand effort?

if you've watched our defense in transition, no.  he demands (or makes it more complicated than it should be) that JO screen his motherfuckng ass off though.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: T Gipson. Man.
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
If I were to look at it differently I'd start by not looking at it as an either or proposition.  If I couldn't wrap my hands around that I'd go with they are two completely different players and the demands of this offense plays to the strengths of one guy more than the other guy.

I could see how it would be easy and ironic for someone to play the lazy card though.

Yeah, it's hard to make a comparison, they just have very different bodies and skills.

I do like that for the first time since Curt, Gip is getting close to being a big we can dump the ball to if/when we need a basket. Now, he is still limited and had to catch at the correct spot and use his body correctly, but one on one he can score with his little hook shot somewhat consistently.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

Their minutes are interchangeable.  That is the point he is trying to make.  Far be it from your dumbass to understand that.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »

JO absolutely is lazy.  Lazy on both ends of the court.  Which is why he doesn't start and has been a complete non-factor this season outside of one good effort against Florida.

This has nothing to do with a better matchup against Okie State Weber was trying to exploit.  He sat because of shitty defense, where he got beaten to the basket and made dumb fouls where he tried to settle for a block instead of getting in position.

But this is JO.  It's just nice to see a guy like Gipson, step up in a big time game and do all the things he doesn't do in the low post for us.  Hopefully he keeps up the progress.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
And damn, I love this.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
You're right JO is unmotivated and/or lazy at times, no one is doubting that.  You're also right about it not being a matchup against OSU that oscar tried to exploit.  You hinted that JO is losing playing time to Gip because of effort and that's what I will continue to disagree with.

First of all even lazy JO is a better defender than Gip.  When JO is on the floor and not in foul trouble he is a difference maker.  I don't think I will ever think of Gip as an elite defender.  JO is not losing playing time because of the defensive end, anyone who thinks so is a fool including oscar Weber if this is his mindset.

Now offensively oscar needs someone who is effective with his back to the basket, that isn't JO it never will be JO and it has nothing to do with effort.  As I've mentioned a half dozen times this year, JO was effective last year because the pinch post allowed him to play the high post, he can't do this anymore.  In this offense you need to either be able to play back to the basket or hit a 15-17 foot jumpshot, neither are strengths of JO.

Yes, Gip has played well and he plays hard.  Yes JO has stretches of laziness.  Your talking point of JO getting some of Gip's minutes if he played harder is wrong.

catzacker

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
MIR, i think it's really too much to expect a coach to try to extract the talent he has on his roster by, let's say, tweaking his offense.  That's just batshit crazy.  I mean, what coach would change his offense, especially now that we're in season. 

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
MIR, i think it's really too much to expect a coach to try to extract the talent he has on his roster by, let's say, tweaking his offense.  That's just batshit crazy.  I mean, what coach would change his offense, especially now that we're in season.
I think I remember Frank changing up the offense to get more movement.  :dunno:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »
I think I remember Frank changing up the offense to get more movement.  :dunno:

oh really?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I think oscar's "commitment" to his offense is overplayed by goEMAW. He implements ball screens and its been plenty effective at creating good shots since the Gonzaga game.

JMHO

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
A few of us have pushed this unorthodox theory before, and I still believe you can play Gip and JO together as "power forward" and "center."  If McG keeps shooting the covers off balls from deep, that eliminates #oscar's concern of having too much cat bulk down in the paint and making it impossible for Rod to operate "inside the arc."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
JO was a difference maker against OSU. The only problem was that the difference favored OSU.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
A few of us have pushed this unorthodox theory before, and I still believe you can play Gip and JO together as "power forward" and "center."  If McG keeps shooting the covers off balls from deep, that eliminates #oscar's concern of having too much cat bulk down in the paint and making it impossible for Rod to operate "inside the arc."

He's going to have to against some teams.

It's pretty much evolved to 80 minutes available for Gip, JO, and Nino to split. Maybe DJamer and Diaz get a few scraps, occasionally Shane. Will be interesting to see if it evolves further as the season goes through conference play.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
The only reason he doesn't play gip and jo at 5 & 4 is because Nino can't be a productive 3, right?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
The only reason he doesn't play gip and jo at 5 & 4 is because Nino can't be a productive 3, right?

Nino can't play 3 and Rod is going to play 35+ at the 3 anyway. And Rod can't play 2.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »
That was my point.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
I think oscar's "commitment" to his offense is overplayed by goEMAW. He implements ball screens and its been plenty effective at creating good shots since the Gonzaga game.

JMHO
we knew we would be having this conversation. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

JMHO

There was one reference to oscar's commitment to his offense. Before we get too off the rails with a strawman, I think zackers larger point is that we have a lot more bigs who can give productive minutes but oscar hasn't and won't play 2 of them together.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »
I want Rod to play the 2 so bad. Can you imagine Angle, Rod, Nino (sorry dorks), Gip and JO? Man, we'd be undefeated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »

JMHO

Nostraclamus
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »
I want Rod to play the 2 so bad. Can you imagine Angle, Rod, Nino (sorry dorks), Gip and JO? Man, we'd be undefeated.

We wouldn't.