Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 53225 times)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »
I still have hope, the fact that they are supposedly belatedly introducing the Reed Children and Ramsay means they could still bring him into the fold.  I think they are just leery of shoving too many new chars into the story too quickly (maybe they are waiting for a few more to die off first  :grin:)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
What'd everyone think of S3E1?  I generally don't like the episodes that just kinda "check in" on everyone as as much as ones that stick in one spot and flesh out a better story.  Overall, i'm glad to have new episodes again.

No Strong Belwas.  Not happy.

And they should have left Selmy's identity a mystery a little longer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
Yes, Mrs. Gooch that grinded (ground?) my gears as well

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
What'd everyone think of S3E1?  I generally don't like the episodes that just kinda "check in" on everyone as as much as ones that stick in one spot and flesh out a better story.  Overall, i'm glad to have new episodes again.

No Strong Belwas.  Not happy.

And they should have left Selmy's identity a mystery a little longer.

How do they do that, though? Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but in the books I think it was possible because Jorah didn't recognize Barriston with the beard because he hadn't seen him for many years. On the tv show, the audience has seen Barriston just 1 season ago, and they are going to still recognize him with the beard, so they might as well just come out and have Jorah figure it out right away.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
I haven't watched this one yet, but in the books it really wouldn't have changed anything other than Danny being less skeptical of his advice early on.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
*SPOILER (late book 3 variety)*

It was a dramatic scene when Barristan and Jorah both revealed their secrets to Dany near the end of Storm of Swords. I suppose it will just be dramatic for Jorah then in the show. Not a big deal I suppose. It was a big deal to find out who he was in the book. I was guessing he was some sort of Targaryen when I was reading it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
*SPOILER (late book 3 variety)*

It was a dramatic scene when Barristan and Jorah both revealed their secrets to Dany near the end of Storm of Swords. I suppose it will just be dramatic for Jorah then in the show. Not a big deal I suppose. It was a big deal to find out who he was in the book. I was guessing he was some sort of Targaryen when I was reading it.

Yeah, the way the book did it was better because the reader didn't know who he was. I don't know how they could have concealed his identity from a television audience who already know what he looks like, though.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
They could have put a thicker beard and more hair on him and maybe shot from the back and/or side for at least a couple of episodes or something.
It was significant to Dany in the book that he didn't immediately revel his identity and therefore she had to decide whether or not to trust him after he had been lying to her.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
They could have put a thicker beard and more hair on him and maybe shot from the back and/or side for at least a couple of episodes or something.
It was significant to Dany in the book that he didn't immediately revel his identity and therefore she had to decide whether or not to trust him after he had been lying to her.

I think the trust issue was also, if not more about, that he served the king who ended her family's rule.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »

I think the trust issue was also, if not more about, that he served the king who ended her family's rule.

Yes, but it is all tied together. The fact that he didn't reveal his identity immediately meant that she had to decide if he was spying for the Baratheon family (who he served to end her family's rule) or really was going to be loyal to her.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
Diana Rigg is pretty great, but man, when you are reading about the Queen of Thorns (especially if you watch Downton), aren't you reading her dialogue while imagining Maggie Smith?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I thought Diana Rigg was a good get

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
Did Catelyn's story about when Jon Snow was sick as a boy make her more or less likable? I mean I guess she at least tried to love him but just couldn't do it. In book she just seems like a cold-hearted bitch toward him.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
Did Catelyn's story about when Jon Snow was sick as a boy make her more or less likable? I mean I guess she at least tried to love him but just couldn't do it. In book she just seems like a cold-hearted bitch toward him.

I don't think it really moved the needle for her at all. I mean, sure, she didn't want the kid to die. She still hated his guts, though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
Just the show's way of establishing she is a cold bitch toward him without having to spend time giving repeated examples.  Pretty efficient really.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
So Littlefinger talking directly to Sansa on the dock about getting her out doesn't seem very Littlefinger-ish of him. In the book he had Dontos as a go-between and Sansa didn't even know he was involved until the whole thing was over. I understand they want to keep the character count as low as possible in the show, but Littlefinger going directly to Sansa and talking to her out where anyone can see and just telling her to keep it a secret is pretty out of character. (Unless they are going to different way with how that all plays out.)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
agreed, Mrs. Gooch. Except in this case they already introduced Dontos in season 2. He was choking on wine and saved by Sansa exactly like it happened in the book.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
Yeah, I can see why they wouldn't want to introduce an unimportant character like Dontos, but since they've already introduced him, I just don't see why they aren't using him.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Plus drunks are hilarious

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
are we all pretty sure what the Season 3 finale is going to be? I mean, the major event in the middle of the 3rd book?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
are we all pretty sure what the Season 3 finale is going to be? I mean, the major event in the middle of the 3rd book?

It seems like so far they have always put the major events at Episode 9.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »

It seems like so far they have always put the major events at Episode 9.

Looking at the epi titles on wikipedia, you are definitely correct.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
I hate it when they say "jape" instead of "joke"

Book 4 really beats this into submission. Woof, George, woofity woof.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
I hate it when they say "make water".

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
man, book 3 is just great.