Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 53255 times)

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
They seem to eat crap loads of Lamprey also to add to Rusty's list "You know nothing Jon Snow."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
And was the word "niggardly" really necessary? It's a fictional fantasy land, George. Come up with another word.

leaving the discussion regarding the healthiness of (most) white americans' extreme aversion to the word n-word for another day; you should be aware that the word niggardly is etymologically unrelated to the word n-word.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=niggard

I'm fully aware, doesn't really matter.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
They seem to eat crap loads of Lamprey also to add to Rusty's list "You know nothing Jon Snow."

Oh god, yes.  And "broke their fast".

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »

You'd prefer that they'd say "ate breakfast," which isn't period correct?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

of course it matters.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »

You'd prefer that they'd say "ate breakfast," which isn't period correct?

no, it just annoys me. was it the only phrase they could use that is period correct?

of course it matters.

Nope.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »
"make water" creeps me out for some reason
emaw

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »
So you guys are all ok with reading about tyrion's mismatched eyes seventy thousand times

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »
So you guys are all ok with reading about tyrion's mismatched eyes seventy thousand times

I honestly hadn't noticed

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2013, 07:12:55 AM »
Gmafb with period correct

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
USE THE OTHER THREAD FOR SPOILERS  :runaway:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »
So I finished the 3rd book a while back. Really great last 80 pages or so. Lots of stuff going on. Welcome back, Lord Baelish.  :peek:

I also went on a Season 1 re-watching binge yesterday. Was great. Did not know that Beric Dondarrion showed up in Season 1, albeit in only 1 scene.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
so i downloaded all of the books just a minute ago.

is there a big difference between the books and the show?  because reading is boring.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

is there a big difference between the books and the show?  because reading is boring.

Not huge so far, but have read that there will be starting either this season or next.

:dunno:

Also, seriously, if you don't like the red lady or the white walkers part of the story, you should find a diff use for your time.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
So I finished the 3rd book a while back. Really great last 80 pages or so. Lots of stuff going on. Welcome back, Lord Baelish.  :peek:

I also went on a Season 1 re-watching binge yesterday. Was great. Did not know that Beric Dondarrion showed up in Season 1, albeit in only 1 scene.

Great points, all, mocat. You don't miss much.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
I am in the middle of book #2.  Loving the series so far.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »

Not huge so far, but have read that there will be starting either this season or next.

Also, seriously, if you don't like the red lady or the white walkers part of the story, you should find a diff use for your time.

it's not that i hate the red lady or white walkers, they just feel out of place in the tv series so far.  i'm about halfway through season 2.  if you're telling me that a lot more of that is to come, then i'll try it out and see.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

it's not that i hate the red lady or white walkers, they just feel out of place in the tv series so far.  i'm about halfway through season 2.  if you're telling me that a lot more of that is to come, then i'll try it out and see.

The storyline involving both are prominent going forward in the books. 

Especially from book 3(iirc) on.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

Season 1 was pretty much right on with the book and season 2 had a few minor differences. Seems like Season 3 may depart a bit more and probably won't cover the entire third book. As with most books that get turned into movies/shows, there are more details in the books which make you more invested in the characters (IMO). However in GOT there are some things that are only hinted at in the books but are explicit in the show. For that reason I like the combination of reading the book and then being able to have the show bring it to life.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »

Season 1 was pretty much right on with the book and season 2 had a few minor differences. Seems like Season 3 may depart a bit more and probably won't cover the entire third book. As with most books that get turned into movies/shows, there are more details in the books which make you more invested in the characters (IMO). However in GOT there are some things that are only hinted at in the books but are explicit in the show. For that reason I like the combination of reading the book and then being able to have the show bring it to life.

Yeah, such a large story with so much background, it definitely helps.  Normally, I dislike movies after the books, but this one definitely doesn't fall into that category.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Renly/Loras comes to mind

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »

The storyline involving both are prominent going forward in the books. 

Especially from book 3(iirc) on.

Get a load of this guy..
OK Cat (after seeing Star Wars): "I don't know about these Jedi and the Empire, is there going to be alot a that in the storyline?"
(Eating at a Mexican restaraunt): "Is there beans in that?  I am not that into beans."
(Gambling):  "Well now wait a minute, you mean I either win or lose money based on the result of a completly random event? Now you tell me!" 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
The books are fantastic. They take a long time to read, but for the most part, it's a really enjoyable read. The biggest difference between the books and the show at this time are when certain characters get introduced. I would expect the show to deviate from the books more as it moves forward, though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
The books are fantastic. They take a long time to read, but for the most part, it's a really enjoyable read. The biggest difference between the books and the show at this time are when certain characters get introduced. I would expect the show to deviate from the books more as it moves forward, though.

They have to.  Too much material to not.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »

They have to.  Too much material to not.

Yeah. Also, certain key characters have not been introduced, and every change is going to have to affect how the story is told moving forward, sort of like a butterfly effect.