Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103861 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #325 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
SE quadrant is the worst overall. I don't think it is even close, although the fact that Horton is in the NE quadrant made me hesitate.

No way. Western KS is terrible.
Western KS smells like money. SE KS smells like ass.

:lol:

I'm glad to see SEK represented so well, something to hang their hat on.  Parsons, C'ville, Chetopa, Galena, Girard, Oswego...........I'll nominate Humbolt.  Biblesta.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:16 AM »
Wellsville is pretty shitty

can confirm. also la cygne. and blue mound. and garnett. and parker.

Those are all disqualified because you made them up.

i wish linn county was made up. as coal aggie is to the nation, so linn county is to kansas. (garnett is not in linn county)
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #327 on: December 20, 2012, 07:20:02 AM »
SE quadrant is the worst overall. I don't think it is even close, although the fact that Horton is in the NE quadrant made me hesitate.

I'm glad to see SEK represented so well, something to hang their hat on.  Parsons, C'ville, Chetopa, Galena, Girard, Oswego...........I'll nominate Humbolt.  Biblesta.

You can't take away big Brutus and Little Balkans Days (maybe the most WTF "Days" event I've stumbled across).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »
Lots of amazing emaws from Colwich. 

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 20, 2012, 07:36:48 AM »
What is wrong with Big Brutus? Do you think those beautiful strip pits made themselves?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »

You can't take away big Brutus and Little Balkans Days (maybe the most WTF "Days" event I've stumbled across).

Also don't understand Katy Days in Parsons.  Celebrate a railroad that took a giant dump on the town, talk about low self-esteem.  Drove around town and noticed how they use plywood as window treatment, amazing. :thumbsup:

I've been through Horton and it's a shithole but I'll throw my vote behind C'ville.......tops.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2012, 07:39:22 AM »

Also don't understand Katy Days in Parsons.  Celebrate a railroad that took a giant dump on the town, talk about low self-esteem.  Drove around town and noticed how they use plywood as window treatment, amazing. :thumbsup:

I've been through Horton and it's a shithole but I'll throw my vote behind C'ville.......tops.

You can't throw your vote behind Coffeyville, it is already #1.

The reason for the plywood boards in Parsons is because of the tornado that went through. So, it was 4 years ago. Big deal.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
So I can't vote for the current leader?  Drive around Parsons sometimes with open eyes.....these homes are condemned and not from the tornado 12 yrs ago.

Get your crap straight.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:03 AM »
So I can't vote for the current leader?  Drive around Parsons sometimes with open eyes.....these homes are condemned and not from the tornado 12 yrs ago.

Get your crap straight.

This is for the 2nd worst. Coffeyville is the undisputed worst.

Has it been 12 years already? I was being sarcastic. I don't drive around Parsons, just through it about 4 or 5 times a year.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »

Get your crap straight.

Has it been 12 years already? I was being sarcastic. I don't drive around Parsons, just through it about 4 or 5 times a year.

I'm good with that.  #2 Parsons. 

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »
Colwich also has a failed lumber yard.  The owner has been trying to sell the property for about a decade.  Has been reduced to trying to rent.  No takers so far.  Have you ever smelled fermented milo.  It is flavo-ass with a tangy twist.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2012, 08:28:44 AM »
Parsons has some neighborhoods that are actually pretty nice. Most of those people send their kids to school at Altamont, but choose to live in Parsons. For this reason alone, I have a hard time believing they are actually second worst. I mean, why not just move to Altamont if Parsons is so bad?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
Parsons has some neighborhoods that are actually pretty nice. Most of those people send their kids to school at Altamont, but choose to live in Parsons. For this reason alone, I have a hard time believing they are actually second worst. I mean, why not just move to Altamont if Parsons is so bad?

No Super Walmart in Altamont.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »

They drive their kids to school at Altamont five days per week, though. Wouldn't it be better to drive to the Super Walmart in Parsons once per week?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »

They drive their kids to school at Altamont five days per week, though. Wouldn't it be better to drive to the Super Walmart in Parsons once per week?

Valid point. Maybe they carpool to school.

When I was in high school, Labette Co. was one of the nicest high schools around.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
Altamont is pretty bland. Nothing super depressing other than the abandoned rest home on the main intersection. Possibly the best bball gym in the SEK. Also, liquor store! But maybe below the bubbles line.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
Colwich also has a failed lumber yard.  The owner has been trying to sell the property for about a decade.  Has been reduced to trying to rent.  No takers so far.  Have you ever smelled fermented milo.  It is flavo-ass with a tangy twist.

I got really PAK'd in Colwich once. Not sure how that adds to the discussion  :dunno:

Colwich does have a liquor store and a bar.

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

I got really PAK'd in Colwich once. Not sure how that adds to the discussion  :dunno:

Colwich does have a liquor store and a bar.

Colwich now has TWO bars. In celebration, a small group of friends did a pub crawl there last Christmas.

The town has plenty of drawbacks, sure:

Super religious anti-abortion signs in every field
Crazy guitar lady at church
Lady who thinks there is an angel living in her barn
Sign at city limit that states "Home of Joel Weber, Speedboat Champion" or something
Priest forbid alcohol during receptions held in church assembly hall (This ban may have since been overturned.)
Ethanol plant

But it has pros:

Gambino's Pizza
Two bars, both serving food
Liquor store
Gas station that had the arcade version of Double Dragon for like 3 months in 1987
Small grocery store sells meat from Goddard locker
Elite Co-op
5 minutes from new hospital, 10 minutes from West Wichita

Colwich does not belong in this discussion. If you want a candidate for worst town in Western Sedgwick County, go with Garden Plain.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
Since I typically avoid small, shitty Kansas towns (except for Lincoln Center three times a year :bang:), my knowledge on the subject is fairly limited. However, my vote goes to Westmoreland.

I had a friend move there in junior high and went to visit him once. What do the kids do for fun there? They go hangout in a cemetery.

All but two of the people I met there had spent a night in jail within the last month (all for separate reasons). Additionally, on more than five occasions, my buddy successfully fled from the cop(s?) by simply cutting across a field.

I was also stunned to find that literally everyone I met, regardless of age, chewed tobacco or smoked cigarettes. How did minors obtain their tobacco? From the local mom and pop's grocery store, of course.

It was a horrible place.

The Big Train

« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »

Get your crap straight.

Was a student-athlete at JUCO in Coffeyville for 2 years.  First week I was there a basketball player got shot in the ass ON CAMPUS.

The "Great Flood" happened between my frosh and soph years, may have actually helped the city not be so shitty.

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
The "Great Flood" happened between my frosh and soph years, may have actually helped the city not be so shitty.

Define "easy on the eyes" - Still standing condemned oil soaked houses.

I lived in C'ville for a year (CCC!).  In a town known for bank robberies (check out the Dalton Gang) I was locked down on campus one night when a man robbed the Bank of America and killed an onlooker while in a shoot out with police after being chased down on his bike.

I vote Sedan for #2. I thought it was a junkyard when I first drove through it. They have a nice museum at least:

http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=kssites;id=15;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eemmettkellymuseum%2Ecom%2F

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about SE or SW Kansas because I would never go there, but the worst town in Kansas I've been to is WaKeeney.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 20, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »

yeah, more green space now, less dumpy.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 20, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
Colwich is pretty awful. 

They have an alcohol plant just east of town.  It make the entire place reek of fermented milo.  There is a new business that engineers/invents new industrial equipment, but they lay people off as fast as they hire.  The town had a nice ball diamond but the ball club sold it to the school district so they could expand the grade school yet they still have mobile unit class rooms.   :dunno:  The new diamonds are ok but are depressing because all the new trees and shrubs planted are dying because of the record drought. 

There is a power plant just east of town that caught on fire last week and will cost $8 million to repair the damage.  Also a forest of radio/tv towers litter the eastern horizon.  You would think that your radio would be able to pick up a signal on the other side of the planet being so close to all those towers.  Nope all you get is static.  The cooling towers from the power plant produce their own clouds some times.  The radio towers are also magnets for lightning strikes wich almost makes the towers worth while but still an eye sore 99%  of the year. 

Oh and the town water treatment facility is just west of town 50 yrds south of the main road and on hot days your car's a/c will blow the cent of human crap in your face.  It's a late entry but feels like a strong contender to me.  The only thing saving this town is being in close proximity to Wichita.

Not alcohol plants, biofuel.  Abengoa is elite.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
Colwich now has TWO bars. In celebration, a small group of friends did a pub crawl there last Christmas.

The town has plenty of drawbacks, sure:

Super religious anti-abortion signs in every field
Crazy guitar lady at church
Lady who thinks there is an angel living in her barn
Sign at city limit that states "Home of Joel Weber, Speedboat Champion" or something
Priest forbid alcohol during receptions held in church assembly hall (This ban may have since been overturned.)
Ethanol plant

But it has pros:

Gambino's Pizza
Two bars, both serving food
Liquor store
Gas station that had the arcade version of Double Dragon for like 3 months in 1987
Small grocery store sells meat from Goddard locker
Elite Co-op
5 minutes from new hospital, 10 minutes from West Wichita

Colwich does not belong in this discussion. If you want a candidate for worst town in Western Sedgwick County, go with Garden Plain.

I'm certain we are at least friends of friends.