Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103981 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
Now I just want to see photoshops of city limit signs and post cards with awkwardly true assessments of the nominated town.

There is a sign on I-70 that says "WaKeeney: It's Affordable". Always struck me as a pretty sad boast.

:lol:

"We're Poors"

Lehigh - "Small, but it's home."

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
osawatomie.

like 3 mcdonald's in the history of the world have failed. and osawatomie was home to one of them.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
This thread is so depressing.  If you aren't a large land owner, or a skilled professional (e.g. Doctor, Accountant, Engineer), what the eff do you do to make a living in these towns?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has nominated Salina yet

Rankings of mid-sized Kansas Cities without major colleges. 

Best to worst:

Salina > Hutchinson > Garden City > Dodge City
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
This thread is so depressing.  If you aren't a large land owner, or a skilled professional (e.g. Doctor, Accountant, Engineer), what the eff do you do to make a living in these towns?

3 or 4 work at the gas station/restaurant/grocery store.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »

Cook/sell meth, manufacture and sell moonshine, collect welfare

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

Schools, Insurance, Gas Station, Auto repair, Grocery Store, Lawyer, City/ County Government, Law enforcement.  Some have a decent manufacturing business, a lot are close enough to a larger place with more jobs. 

For this reason the towns farther into western Kansas seem nicer.  I think they are forced to be more self-reliant.  Some towns in far NCK are similar, supporting businesses that similar sized towns closer to larger cities cannot. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
I'm going to run with Bubbles's idea

NCAA League - Best to worst

Beloit (3,789) - Pretty nice, clean town.  Nice HS.  Large enough to support local businesses.  A small town that I would live in. 

Ellsworth (3,113) - Pretty nice and clean, cool golf course, decent businesses, prison = good for jobs/ bad for  :ohno:
Minneapolis (2,042) - Clean, not as much business as Beloit.  Has feeder towns for the high school (Delphos), 20 minutes from Salina which keeps people employed and pop. stable.
Russell (4,497) - Used to seem nice, I was there a few years ago and seems more empty and aging now.  They also suck at sports for such a big town relative to other schools. 

Belleville (1,963) - Town is shrinking fast, always seemed crappy even 10-15 years ago.  Getting smaller.  Seemed dirtier than other towns in league.

Assaria/ Gypsum (416, 408) - These towns go to SE of Saline.  The school is nice.  The towns are ass.  Completely empty and dead, like most towns with no school in them.  Woof. 

Sared Heart in Salina is prob best.  Most people seem to have a decent amount of living and everyone I knew had pretty nice houses.  It just doesn't really fit in this ranking.  I mean Salina has a lot of crapy stuff, but SH people prob dont live in those areas.

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Maybe OT:

Do you think Topeka is the worst capital in the country? Always thought about this, but I mean, what other city would be better? I think Wichita is much better.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
Maybe OT:

Do you think Topeka is the worst capital in the country? Always thought about this, but I mean, what other city would be better? I think Wichita is much better.
Jeff City. Woof.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Fairbanks is a terrible capital.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
I too played sports against Galena. Where are you from Nuts Kicked?

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »

Best to worst:

Where would Junction City fall if you added it to this list?  It wouldn't be first, but I don't enough about these towns to place it exactly.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »

Best to worst:

Where would Junction City fall if you added it to this list?  It wouldn't be first, but I don't enough about these towns to place it exactly.

I dunno, probably between Hutch and Garden.  People I've met who live in Junction City seem to like it. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
It's easily dodge city, followed closely by garden city

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Fairbanks is a terrible capital.

great stuff CFoD.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
Born in Ark City. It's pretty awful. That said, there alot of bad ones like Kanorado, Lakin, Syracuse, etc. that deserve the top spot, at least for the smaller towns. I usually take I-70 when I go to Kansas. Had to take 50 one time. Heard banjos the whole way. Pretty sure I saw an 80's Astrovan with one spinner in Lakin at their stop sign.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
dear god, sorry you all have wasted so much of your day.  I couldn't post until just now.  Anywho:

JFC IT'S LARNED

does your 2nd worst town have two feedlots on either side of it, producing a fine dusting of crap smell no matter which direction the wind is blowing? 
What is missing in your oh so horrible, yet non-crap smell town? 

El Dorado, LOL (lived there. it smells, but not like crap) has a community college and an awesome lake. NOPE.
Rush Center is pud but doesn't smell like crap.  NICE TRY ASSHOLES
Those swedish towns have these cathedrals that are like a mile tall that people enjoy. They also don't smell like crap.  OUT.
Great Bend is called Great Bend because of the river that bends within the town.  It has a river.  Smells shitty sometimes... river auto-disqualifies.
Ark City is bad.  Blackface mayor guy from a few years ago, desperately tries to be in Oklahoma, yet no discernable crap smell. eff OFF THEN.
Dodge City.  Very tempting choice.  Pig crap smell is worse than cow crap.  Still, history and new cultures are fun, right?
lest we forget Kansas City Kansas is in Kansas.  Raceway/legends is basically Edwardsville, so eff off.  That said, no unavoidable crap smell.

Larned.  Nothing to see there.  Fort Larned is like other boring forts, except when you're done visiting you just go back to smelling crap all day in a boring crap-smell town.  Funfact: Larned has no funfacts because it is goddamn full of shattered dreams and constant crap smell.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Convinced. So which is third?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »
lol
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 18, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »
Quinter.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
Quinter.

i don't know. i kinda like that little diner..
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
The squawk bar in WaKeeney isn't that bad at all.  Watched Texas beat Nebraska there.  Which time you ask?  The one where Texas was driving late and they decided to go one more play before kicking the field goal and the QB scrambled and threw the ball out of bounds and the refs put 0:01 back on the clock for the winning field goal.  So great. :lol:

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
Quinter.
crap-smell status?  I'm guessing none.  BUY IN OR QUINTER HUR HUR

Actually know some stellar emaws from Quinter.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
Does anyone know if Potwin is a crappy place to live?  I know they have a large feedlot just southwest of town.  Could qualify under chunkles rule.