Author Topic: _FANframes from TCU: QB run game and use of the TE  (Read 2825 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANframes from TCU: QB run game and use of the TE
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
Re: _FANframes from TCU: QB run game and use of the TE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
 :)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
i like how you combined the _Fan-frames and _Fanalysis.  (or did i miss _fanalysis).   the formation tables are cool but it's way cooler to see diff examples w/ pics and vids.

good job and thanks for the hard work

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
i like how you combined the _Fan-frames and _Fanalysis.  (or did i miss _fanalysis).   the formation tables are cool but it's way cooler to see diff examples w/ pics and vids.

good job and thanks for the hard work

_FANalysis: http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=2748

I usually try to get _FANalysis out Mon/Tues and _FANframes Wed/Thurs. I'm late this week.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
cool. well then let me add i like the way you threw a dash of _Fanalysis into your _FanFrames

Offline jde512

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
I like the way you make me feel so much smarter after reading your analysis. :thumbsup:
I was born kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood.  I have no trouble going out the same way.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
I like the way I tell myself, "Yep, that is just what I was saying to my wife and kids when we watched the game live" whenever I read your stuff.  :peek:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
I like that the offense was so woof in the TCU game that _FAN had to provide links to batted down passes and 6 yard gains  :sdeek:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
I like that the offense was so woof in the TCU game that _FAN had to provide links to batted down passes and 6 yard gains  :sdeek:

Yeah, there were more positive plays that I didn't feature because I've looked at similar stuff before. My attempt is to show something unique from each week and that becomes more difficult with every game. The TE alignments were unique even if many of the plays weren't successful.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
I like the way you make me feel so much smarter after reading your analysis. :thumbsup:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
_FAN, are we going to get back into the power run game this week?

Offline DeVere Kalmar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
many thanks, _fan. It can't be said enough: we're all so lucky you share your insights.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
_Fan I have an observation that I would like you to confirm is right or wrong, I am not all techie so I have no links.  On some of our QB read option plays last weekend it appeared the guard let the DT go by untouched so he could go block the LB.  I believe we do this every time for this particular play and Klien is supposed to do read the DT's angle of attack and decide whether to hand off or keep.  The TCU players seemed to just blast through and make the tackle where most DT's before would break down trying to figure out who had the ball causing them to be on their heels and us to run by them.  I ask this because I had some KSU fans telling me it was just because our OL was sucking.

Also, if I am correct with the above observation are you worried that Baylor and Texas now have the new "mold" for beating our run game? 

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
_Fan I have an observation that I would like you to confirm is right or wrong, I am not all techie so I have no links.  On some of our QB read option plays last weekend it appeared the guard let the DT go by untouched so he could go block the LB.  I believe we do this every time for this particular play and Klien is supposed to do read the DT's angle of attack and decide whether to hand off or keep.  The TCU players seemed to just blast through and make the tackle where most DT's before would break down trying to figure out who had the ball causing them to be on their heels and us to run by them.  I ask this because I had some KSU fans telling me it was just because our OL was sucking.

Also, if I am correct with the above observation are you worried that Baylor and Texas now have the new "mold" for beating our run game?
I think he covered that in his fan_analysis a few days ago and if Texas and Baylor try it we'll be ready to make em pay

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »

You are 100% correct. I highlighted that in the final paragraph with links to a couple of those plays. Meshack also did it one time to TCU's read option.

That said, I really don't think its a mold for beating the read option run game, though I don't think we anticipated it vs TCU and because of that they kept Klein off balance with is reads. The advantage though is this; if we know teams are going to do that, we can trap the heck out of that read player if he comes up the field. And if defenses do that sporadically like TCU did, they are essentially "guessing" that they will have the right defensive call (TCU seemed to guess right a lot), but the problem is if they are wrong it will lead to a big offensive play. The reason you don't see college football teams, especially defensive linemen, just "run up the field to the football" is exactly that; good college offenses will gash you because that technique creates huge vertical creases in a defense if its blocked well. A defense simply cannot be gap sound consistently if their players get too far up the field.

This week I think we'll anticipate that and have some tweaks in our scheme. Baylor will be trying anything and everything, and Bennett is agressive by nature anyway. I expect you'll see Baylor "guess right" a few times and that will lead to negative plays, but more often we'll gash them. I'm guessing we'll see a bunch of 10+ yard gains on runs and passes against Baylor because of that.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »

I think he covered that in his fan_analysis a few days ago and if Texas and Baylor try it we'll be ready to make em pay

Sorry missed that.  Went back and read it and it appears I am right... I should have known I was right  :emawkid:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »

Sorry missed that.  Went back and read it and it appears I am right... I should have known I was right  :emawkid:

The best example is when Hubert got blown up on the goal line the 2nd play after their muffed punt. I'm sure most of our fans thought Whitehair was some sort of idiot for "not blocking" the defensive tackle, but in reality he was the read guy and TCU had some sort of run stunt with that DT coming if he was unblocked for the read.

However, the play that ticked me off was the first down play before that one. Hubert also got blown up in the backfield here, but that was only because Whitehair (left guard) got absolutely abused. If he just maintains his block on the line of scrimmage instead of getting blown up into the backfield, Wilson is able to get off on his block to the inside LB and Hubert walks into the endzone. We had position to block everyone for an easy score there, but Whitehair was terrible.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »

The best example is when Hubert got blown up on the goal line the 2nd play after their muffed punt. I'm sure most of our fans thought Whitehair was some sort of idiot for "not blocking" the defensive tackle, but in reality he was the read guy and TCU had some sort of run stunt with that DT coming if he was unblocked for the read.

However, the play that ticked me off was the first down play before that one. Hubert also got blown up in the backfield here, but that was only because Whitehair (left guard) got absolutely abused. If he just maintains his block on the line of scrimmage instead of getting blown up into the backfield, Wilson is able to get off on his block to the inside LB and Hubert walks into the endzone. We had position to block everyone for an easy score there, but Whitehair was terrible.

When i went back and rewatched the game I was disturbed by our o line play.  You pointed out Whitehair but Rooks was absolutely awful on a handful of passing plays where he was soundly beaten on outside rushes and spin moves.  I'm hoping we just had a bad day at the office.

As you mentioned I would expect Bennett to blitz and gamble quite often...it would be nice if we could execute a screen pass or the shovel pass....I've also missed the jailbreak screen we used to employ...all can be very effective against pressure.  I hope we bring it this week. :crossfingers:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
When i went back and rewatched the game I was disturbed by our o line play.  You pointed out Whitehair but Rooks was absolutely awful on a handful of passing plays where he was soundly beaten on outside rushes and spin moves.  I'm hoping we just had a bad day at the office.

As you mentioned I would expect Bennett to blitz and gamble quite often...it would be nice if we could execute a screen pass or the shovel pass....I've also missed the jailbreak screen we used to employ...all can be very effective against pressure.  I hope we bring it this week. :crossfingers:

Yeah, both of them have struggled at times in both of the last two games. I'm sure others have made mistakes, but they were notable in both. The thing is, both have shown they can play and block really well, so I have to think its correctable.

Also, on shovel passes, we ran two that I thought were really good calls on back to back plays.

1st, we ran one that was essentually a version of stretch read option to Wilson. It had potential to be a really nice play, but the pulling guard from the backside doesn't get around quite quick enough to get his block on the LB. Then on the next play, we ran a well design shovel/screen against a blitzing OLB, but he made an extremely good play to reroute and tackle Pease in the backfield, otherwise that's likely a 1st down play.