Author Topic: Around the Horn(ed)  (Read 20962 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Around the Horn(ed)
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
For consideration...

We lead the lead in take aways...
They lead in giveaways...
We lead in forced fumbles...
They lead in fumbles given up...
Boykin has 7 pics in 5 games...

In their last 5 games, this great TCU defense has given up (regulation only, I took out OTs)...
32 points per game
375 yards per game
5.7 yards per play

Now, none of that is completely terrible, but lets not act like this is the best defense we've played. Its very good, but Tech, OU, and ISU have equal or better defenses.

And I don't expect them to execute better than OSU or any of the other solid defenses we've seen.

Also, they probably have the least hostile environment of any school in the conference outside of KU.  We will most likely be able to run our offense unimpeded by noise.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
Gary ruined Boise’s undefeated season a couple of years ago (@ Boise).

This team is better than those Boise teams.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
But they have a ton of flaws and are very young. They are mistake prone and I think we can take advantage of that. I think they are physical, but I'm not sold they are as physical as OSU, Tech, ISU, or OU.

This is their kiss of death.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »
Anyone who is worried about this game must lead a miserable life.   :dubious:
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

TCU’s defense is much better than ISU’s and it does force turnovers.  As I pointed out, TCU's rush defense is #1 in the conf and it’s no surprise that they lead the conf in interceptions (16) – we are second
with 13.

A little context.  TCU strength of schedule is ranked #180.   Compared to ISU (#7), Tech (#11), OU (#21), etc.  Their S.O.S. is so low because they haven't yet faced the Top 3 teams in the BigXII, KSU, OU, UT.  Basically, they beat up on bottom feeders (KU, BU), competed with some middlings (Tech, WVU), got destroyed by other middlings (OSU, ISU), and haven't yet faced the top teams. 

I'm not saying we shouldn'e be concerned.  Every game from here on out is huge.  It will be their superbowl and, with bowl eligibility locked up, TCU's got nothing to lose.  But, when citing TCU's defensive stats, it's important to put those numbers in context.     

Offline American Standard

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Alrighty then. Agree it will come down to turnovers. If we have 1 or less I think we win. Two or more I don't know.

Regarding our losses, check the box scores and stats. We dominated Tech who barely managed 300 yards in regulation while we had 450+. Three turnovers and allowing a 1st half onside kick was the equalizer. ISU the same thing. Two TOs inside their 5 and another freaky on returned for a score. Both should have been easy wins. I wonder how KSU vs ISU would have ended up if Sams found out 2 days prior to the game he was the starter? ISU had their chances as it was. OSU I have no answer. They were pretty good and we were terrible. That happens with a young team on the road. yet we were still in it in the 4th. Boykin was way off with his accuracy in that game. We got several very good players back last week which helped with pass rush, OL and WR.

If Boykin plays like punting can be ok, as GMFP preaches (how many coaches in the conf think that way?), you guys are in for a major tilt. If he wants to show the media how big his arm is then we could see another OSU experience.

Frogs 31 Catz 23 Lets get it on!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
I like zackers posts a lot. he's very good.

Yes, I agree, very knowledgeable about the game. I can appreciate his glass-half-full perspective because he makes tangible and legitimate points in his posts.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
You're going to hold the most efficient offense in the country to 23 points?

catzacker

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

I don't think we're getting more than 30.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »
stat predicto:

KSU

37 - 151 yds rushing
17/27 - 224 yds passing
1 TO
33 points

TCU

34 - 127 yds rushing
22/36 262 yds passing
3 TO
23 points

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
'zacker - BITBing.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Around the Horn(ed)
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »

I don't think we're getting more than 30.

They've held one opponent under 30 in their last 5 games (not counting OT). And that was 21 vs Baylor, who had 6 TOs but still gained 430 yards and averaged neatly 8 yards per snap.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
A little context.  TCU strength of schedule is ranked #180.   Compared to ISU (#7), Tech (#11), OU (#21), etc.  Their S.O.S. is so low because they haven't yet faced the Top 3 teams in the BigXII, KSU, OU, UT.  Basically, they beat up on bottom feeders (KU, BU), competed with some middlings (Tech, WVU), got destroyed by other middlings (OSU, ISU), and haven't yet faced the top teams.     

wow, great post.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
zacker be wacker than a cracker, jack.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
Alrighty then. Agree it will come down to turnovers. If we have 1 or less I think we win. Two or more I don't know.

Regarding our losses, check the box scores and stats. We dominated Tech who barely managed 300 yards in regulation while we had 450+. Three turnovers and allowing a 1st half onside kick was the equalizer. ISU the same thing. Two TOs inside their 5 and another freaky on returned for a score. Both should have been easy wins. I wonder how KSU vs ISU would have ended up if Sams found out 2 days prior to the game he was the starter? ISU had their chances as it was. OSU I have no answer. They were pretty good and we were terrible. That happens with a young team on the road. yet we were still in it in the 4th. Boykin was way off with his accuracy in that game. We got several very good players back last week which helped with pass rush, OL and WR.

If Boykin plays like punting can be ok, as GMFP preaches (how many coaches in the conf think that way?), you guys are in for a major tilt. If he wants to show the media how big his arm is then we could see another OSU experience.

Not sure if serious....

Thus far, you've beaten the bottom feeders of the Big 12 and a big east team and lost to the three middle of the pack teams.  Now, it's time to play "big boy football" and this isn't the MWC anymore.

Your team is not only young, but also beat up.  We don't turn the ball over, and y'all do.  If Patterson wants to punt, let him.  We don't punt.  We score.

It won't be all that close.

:bill:
bears are fast...

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
ISU held you to 27. Our D is better than ISU. It can be done.

catzacker

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

North Texas held us to 35 at home.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Lots of teams have good defensive stats before they play us.  TCU hasn't played us yet.  Simple really.

Cats by 21

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »

Not sure if serious....

Thus far, you've beaten the bottom feeders of the Big 12 and a big east team and lost to the three middle of the pack teams.  Now, it's time to play "big boy football" and this isn't the MWC anymore.

Your team is not only young, but also beat up.  We don't turn the ball over, and y'all do.  If Patterson wants to punt, let him.  We don't punt.  We score.

A nice two year run = "Big boy"? Lulz. While we were beating Wiscy in the Rose Bowl two years ago you and CatFancy Nation were crapping your pants wondering which Conference might take you. Now you have us and WVU to thank for keeping the Conference together. The television partners wanted us pure and simple.

We'll have a good time. The post game tailgate can double as the Wake for your NC dreams ;)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »

TCU is second to last in yards per punt return given up in league games.  One of two teams in the league (along with KU), to have given up a TD. :ohno:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:25:41 PM by SleepFighter »

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

Not sure if serious....

A nice two year run = "Big boy"? Lulz. While we were beating Wiscy in the Rose Bowl two years ago you and CatFancy Nation were crapping your pants wondering which Conference might take you. Now you have us and WVU to thank for keeping the Conference together. The television partners wanted us pure and simple.

We'll have a good time. The post game tailgate can double as the Wake for your NC dreams ;)

Sounds to me like you're still a little bitter about getting passed over for Baylor back in '96...

:peek:
bears are fast...

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
I like zackers posts a lot. he's very good.

Yes, I agree, very knowledgeable about the game. I can appreciate his glass-half-full perspective because he makes tangible and legitimate points in his posts.

i think what you're saying is that he's very good at the blocking and tackling that's required with being a great poster   ;)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
lol any schmuck could beat Wisconsin in the rose bowl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »

Not sure if serious....

Sounds to me like you're still a little bitter about getting passed over for Baylor back in '96...

:peek:
Haha! We've put them in their place since that happened. I think we are 4-1 outscoring them 196-67 or some such. All that matters is we are here now. BTW, might be a good idea if you guys wear black for the pending Wake. Just a friendly Frog fan trying to help.

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
lol any schmuck could beat Wisconsin in the rose bowl
LOL! Getting there is the hard part.