Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread  (Read 34522 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Presidential Debate Master Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Obama has been all over the map, Romney will be all over the map . . . it's just going to be more chaos no matter who gets elected.

The endgame I fear is cloaked in the zeal of tired old words.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
romney is pretty darn set on raising our military spending a bunch.

This is the major thing i took away from watching the replay.

Do people out there really think we need to spend more money on defense but cut pbs?   Very odd.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »
romney is pretty darn set on raising our military spending a bunch.

This is the major thing i took away from watching the replay.

Do people out there really think we need to spend more money on defense but cut pbs?   Very odd.

It's amazing. It's almost as amazing as the number of people who actually support increased security measures at airports.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
i like how the president was a super smart ass several times last night.  the horses and bayonets thing was fantastic.  romney is such a dufus.  :lol:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
i like how the president was a super smart ass several times last night.  the horses and bayonets thing was fantastic.  romney is such a dufus.  :lol:

It actually made Obama seem childish.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »

I thought it really brought to light the incredible stupidity about Romney's concerns of our defense budget putting America in a dangerous position.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

I thought it really brought to light the incredible stupidity about Romney's concerns of our defense budget putting America in a dangerous position.

Nope. Serious people didn't appreciate the boyish condescending remarks. "we have ships that airplanes land on and boats that go underwater". Childish.

He was playing to his base.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »

I love how the right wing claimed that Romney was being "strong, presidential" in the first debate while characterizing something similar from Obama in the second debate was "childish".

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 23, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

Nope. Serious people didn't appreciate the boyish condescending remarks. "we have ships that airplanes land on and boats that go underwater". Childish.

Stupid talking points comparing raw military numbers today to those in 1917 should be met with stupid responses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 23, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
I don't think we should try to restrict trade with China. At all, really, but I'd settle for not increasing restrictions.

Both candidates disagree with me. :frown:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
I think we should cut the deficit by nearly a trillion dollars by 2 years from now. Both candidates disagree with me, too. :frown:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
I don't think we should try to restrict trade with China. At all, really, but I'd settle for not increasing restrictions.

As I undertsand it (and it's possible I don't), it's tit for tat between the U.S. and China when it comes to trade restrictions, with each side claiming the other is trying to eff them over and that they're just trying to even the playing field in response.  Point being, if China doesn't stop then the U.S. won't stop and vice versa, and it really doesn't look like the Chinamen are interested in stopping. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

As I undertsand it (and it's possible I don't), it's tit for tat between the U.S. and China when it comes to trade restrictions, with each side claiming the other is trying to eff them over and that they're just trying to even the playing field in response.  Point being, if China doesn't stop then the U.S. won't stop and vice versa, and it really doesn't look like the Chinamen are interested in stopping. 

That may be true, but there's plenty of cases where it isn't like that. The US restrictions on China that I've dealt with are based on US companies whining about China taking our jobs. But most of those jobs are already gone and never coming back and they'll just go to places like India or Vietnam or Indonesia instead. In fact many of the companies whining have already sent their jobs overseas and will never take them back, but we keep upholding restrictions just because.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
I didn't like Romney's statement that he'd call-out China on Day 1 if he were elected.  Very GWB of him. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »
Yeah, I don't really know what he wants to call them out on, other than maybe being Chinese and supporting our economy by buying US bonds.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »

Stupid talking points comparing raw military numbers today to those in 1917 should be met with stupid responses.

I agree it was a dumb talking point, but the response was dumber.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »
Yeah, I don't really know what he wants to call them out on, other than maybe being Chinese and supporting our economy by buying US bonds.

He said he was going to designate them as currency manipulators. Some are saying it would set off a trade war, but that seems a little suspect given the huge trade imbalance we already have. I don't know if this is the optimal time to do it, though. I like my cheap Chinese stuff.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »

I heard about this and was a little confused.  Does Obama actually think the military doesn't use horses and bayonets anymore, or does he think that they use them in the Navy, just not as much as in 1917. Not sure where he got the idea anyone is advocating for more calvary and infantry, maybe he was playing Risk or something before the debate with his infantile press corp.  Regardless, a real d-bag thing to say, which is pretty much the only type of things he says and the type of stuff butthurt partisans like OKCat, Rachel Maddow and that other androgynous character on msnbc eat up.

The consensus is he sounded like a real jerk and was offputting to the people he needs most to actually win this election.  Beyond that, claiming he's not going to allow military funding to be cut will undoubtedly piss off the true liberals and further disincentivize them from voting in two weeks.

Seems like these debates couldn't have gone any better for Romney.  All he had to do was appear like a human being capable of doing a slightly better job than the absolute worst president this country has seen perhaps ever.  Mission Accomplished and then some.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
I'm not 100% sure FSD knows what consensus means.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
Risk is such a great game, but it takes too damn long to play :dubious:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »

i think goEMAW.com has reached a consensus on that, mcat

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

obviously
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
the United States is the real currency manipulator. Romney is a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
The governor of Virginia looks like a real dum dum arguing with Anderson Cooper over how insulted all Navy people should be over the "horses and bayonets" comment.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »
Risk is such a great game, but it takes too damn long to play :dubious:

*nerd alert*
in high school i used to have people over to my house every night for a week for epic risk games.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite