Author Topic: KSU currently ranks 15th nationally in yards per play on offense...  (Read 12354 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU currently ranks 15th nationally in yards per play on offense...
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
you know what's amazing about our offense? the ability of klein and hubert to both get 7 yards on a play when most other players would get 3 or 4. their ability to twist and turn and fall forward every single time is absolutely incredible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:46:19 AM by rick daris »

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
I think the reason why the stupid timeout and subsequent playcalling at the end of the first half after the INT was so frustrating was because we haven't seen our offense that panicked/discombobulated in a such a long time.  Normally they're so under control that it was weird to see them mess up that last 16 seconds so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wQAmG0naYE8&list=ULwQAmG0naYE8#t=3952s

Yeah, it was bad. But I just went back and looked at the final play and the run was there. Combo blame goes to Whitehair, who allowed too much penetration, and Wilson, who failed to get out to block the edge. We actually got exactly what we wanted b/c the KU DE went with an inside rush on Whitehair, but Whitehair was on his heels, so the defender got penetration. All Whitehair had to do was press him inside once he made that inside move, but he had no leverage to do so. That forced Wilson to go around Whitehair, not allow him to get position to block the KU LB. If Wilson gets out clean, Klein scores untouched.

IMHO it was a really good play call, but extremely poor execution, especially since the KU defensive end did exactly what we would've wanted him to do.

The run call is less frustrating than the timeout itself, there were about 3 or 4 better options than taking that timeout.  But we won and I'm sure Klein will learn from that, so really in the long run it's probably a good thing.  If we run into something like that again in a bigger game, he'll be more prepared.
emaw

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I think the reason why the stupid timeout and subsequent playcalling at the end of the first half after the INT was so frustrating was because we haven't seen our offense that panicked/discombobulated in a such a long time.  Normally they're so under control that it was weird to see them mess up that last 16 seconds so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wQAmG0naYE8&list=ULwQAmG0naYE8#t=3952s

Yeah, it was bad. But I just went back and looked at the final play and the run was there. Combo blame goes to Whitehair, who allowed too much penetration, and Wilson, who failed to get out to block the edge. We actually got exactly what we wanted b/c the KU DE went with an inside rush on Whitehair, but Whitehair was on his heels, so the defender got penetration. All Whitehair had to do was press him inside once he made that inside move, but he had no leverage to do so. That forced Wilson to go around Whitehair, not allow him to get position to block the KU LB. If Wilson gets out clean, Klein scores untouched.

IMHO it was a really good play call, but extremely poor execution, especially since the KU defensive end did exactly what we would've wanted him to do.

The run call is less frustrating than the timeout itself, there were about 3 or 4 better options than taking that timeout.  But we won and I'm sure Klein will learn from that, so really in the long run it's probably a good thing.  If we run into something like that again in a bigger game, he'll be more prepared.

Yeah, the timeout was really dumb. I know what he saw; KU was doing a good job keeping 6 guys in the box against our 5 offensive linemen since we were in an empty formation and it was likely going to be a draw. But in that situation you take the chance and run what was called because you have the timeout. Honestly, I think the play call on the next play is probably different against an opponent like WVU or UT. If anything, we showed complete confidence over KU by giving Klein a run option (which he obviously had, even though the blocking up front was pass protection). It turned out we were right in the 2nd half.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
you know what's amazing about our offense? the ability of klein and huber to both get 7 yards on a play when most other players would get 3 or 4. their ability to twist and turn and fall forward every single time is absolutely incredible.

Absolutely this. Every time either of them run they seem to be able to fall forward at the end. Makes a huge difference when your offense is designed the way ours is.
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
What a bizarre series of events.

I think it was mostly orchestrated that way build suspense for the second half and keep the Cat fans from going home at halftime.

I looked at my buddy immediately after the TO and said   "SCHEME DOCTOR!".   They will assume we throw, but Klein will run.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

Is it a better play call than 2 or 3 passes to the endzone would have been, given the clock / timeout situation?  I mean, running to the edge was TD or bust, and we clearly busted.

Since it didn't work, I suppose the easy answer is no. But I can't help but look at it and see how easy the score would've been had Whitehair made a block on the edge. Its a play we probably execute properly 80-90% of the time IMO. It probably didn't help that it was Whitehair's first game of the year.

The timeout was the major mistake in the sequence, and very dumb on Klein's part.

I don't think it was Whitehair's first game. I know he was the one that celebrated with Sams after one of his TD's, so I guess he could have just been getting minutes at the end of that game. But I also think Manhatter had been talking about him a lot after the first few games.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »

Is it a better play call than 2 or 3 passes to the endzone would have been, given the clock / timeout situation?  I mean, running to the edge was TD or bust, and we clearly busted.

Since it didn't work, I suppose the easy answer is no. But I can't help but look at it and see how easy the score would've been had Whitehair made a block on the edge. Its a play we probably execute properly 80-90% of the time IMO. It probably didn't help that it was Whitehair's first game of the year.

The timeout was the major mistake in the sequence, and very dumb on Klein's part.

I don't think it was Whitehair's first game. I know he was the one that celebrated with Sams after one of his TD's, so I guess he could have just been getting minutes at the end of that game. But I also think Manhatter had been talking about him a lot after the first few games.

You are correct, I was wrong. For some reason I was confusing Whitehair with Stiverson when I was posting that. My bad.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Like we did vs OSU last year  :shakesfist:
RIP Fatty

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
oscar Snyder leads cats to #1 Spot in UPS Performance Index

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/wires/10/08/2060.ap.fbc.cfb.performance.index.0722/index.html
There are some awesome stats in that write-up.

Kansas State has yet to concede a single return yard on 14 punts.

:eek:

Shouldn't they have just awarded the Ray Guy award to Doerr already?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Sean cements himself as HCIW   :bang:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
ESPN spelled Hubert 3 different ways in their game write up the other day.  They had Herbert and Hebert I believe.

Chip, meet shoulder.  Oh how I've missed you.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
oscar Snyder:  HCIW?  :ohno:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
ESPN spelled Hubert 3 different ways in their game write up the other day.  They had Herbert and Hebert I believe.

Ay-bear. :thumbs:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
More impressive because we have not had many long gains outside of the first game vs MSU.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

Ay-bear. :thumbs:

I will think about saying this at the next home game instead of HUUUUUUUUBE!!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
National Offense:

National Defense:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
oh dear.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
offensive numbers should perk back up this weekend.
emaw

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »
we allowed 21 pts this week on 231 yards.  that seems pretty shitty imo.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
How many plays?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
The thread is about points per play and yards per play, not points per yard.