Author Topic: KSU currently ranks 15th nationally in yards per play on offense...  (Read 12352 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: KSU currently ranks 15th nationally in yards per play on offense...
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »

Thanks for this! I am feeling really confident in continuing to believe that we will win the whole damn thing.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
went back through a few years of Big 12 play.

.64 ppp would be better than the best scoring offenses per play in the Big 12 in most years.  The 6.87 ypp would rank in the top 2 or 3, if not 1st.  Those other teams average more total yards per game based on getting a lot more snaps and their ypp is a bit inflated due to all of the passes (I mean how much more efficient are they inside the redzone without great rushing attack?).

Bottom line, this either is or might be the best offense in the Big 12 this year.  On the surface, people are thinking about other offenses because it is what they can see.  But diving into the numbers would suggest something else.
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
I can't wait to get Stiverson back at RG.

What is the prognosis for Puetz and Stiverson?  Are we getting them back by Kansas?  Iowa State?

I'm not opposed to keeping Whitehair where he is now and letting Rooks stay at RT when Stiverson gets back.

Puetz was listed on the depth chart last week. Maybe he will be at LG against KU? Like you, I think the OL is doing pretty well as is.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
just a preference but I would prefer to keep whitehair at LG and have Stiverson play RG.  Keep Rooks at RT.  I believe Stiverson is expected back before Peutz, or at least he should be.  I think both are better than Peutz.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
just a preference but I would prefer to keep whitehair at LG and have Stiverson play RG.  Keep Rooks at RT.  I believe Stiverson is expected back before Peutz, or at least he should be.  I think both are better than Peutz.

Early thoughts on Rooks?  I like him.

Offline cvmcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:56 PM »
Only 66 penalty yards total after 4 games.  That makes  :billdance:

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »

So is Taylor not cut out to play RG?  Or is Stiverson just expected to be that much better, or what?  Seems like the line has been pretty darn productive with Taylor at RG... I don't know, which is why I'm asking
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »

So is Taylor not cut out to play RG?  Or is Stiverson just expected to be that much better, or what?  Seems like the line has been pretty darn productive with Taylor at RG... I don't know, which is why I'm asking

Stiverson beat out Taylor head-to-head and he's been int he program 1/3 of the time.  That should tell you something.  Stiverson is believed to be our mauler and we already have three of them on the field in Lucas, Whitehair, and Finney.   Finney and Whitehair looked like they thoroughly enjoyed mixing it up with OU's defensive tackles.  By the end of the night redshirt freshman Whitehair was planting OU upper classmen DTs on their butts.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
That 3rd down conversion makes me very happy

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »

Early thoughts on Rooks?  I like him.
Rooks gets into a lot of extracurricular activity after the play is dead, this ratchet behavior makes me really warm and fuzzy inside.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
This incomplete spreadsheet shows the percentage of plays a team has that are no better than spiking the ball. KSU is really, really good at gaining/not losing yards.  :bill:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApM-qIz7q-ladFh3RGN5c1dKMWtCZVNlX2Vpb0tyc3c#gid=0

Offline pc5k

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

Stiverson beat out Taylor head-to-head and he's been int he program 1/3 of the time.  That should tell you something.  Stiverson is believed to be our mauler and we already have three of them on the field in Lucas, Whitehair, and Finney.   Finney and Whitehair looked like they thoroughly enjoyed mixing it up with OU's defensive tackles.  By the end of the night redshirt freshman Whitehair was planting OU upper classmen DTs on their butts.

Charlie Dickey deserves a huge raise.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
This incomplete spreadsheet shows the percentage of plays a team has that are no better than spiking the ball. KSU is really, really good at gaining/not losing yards.  :bill:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApM-qIz7q-ladFh3RGN5c1dKMWtCZVNlX2Vpb0tyc3c#gid=0

Wow... over 79% positive plays
:adios:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »

Welp.

Given that the peak of Snyder 1 was 1998, 2000, 1999, 2002, and 2003, I'll take that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Now 1st nationally in PPP and 5th nationally in YPP. K-State has the most efficient offense in the country.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Now 1st nationally in PPP and 5th nationally in YPP. K-State has the most efficient offense in the country.

So blessed.  :D
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

4 Percent of separation, 4 percent!!!  :driving:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
I think the reason why the stupid timeout and subsequent playcalling at the end of the first half after the INT was so frustrating was because we haven't seen our offense that panicked/discombobulated in a such a long time.  Normally they're so under control that it was weird to see them mess up that last 16 seconds so bad.
emaw

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
I think the reason why the stupid timeout and subsequent playcalling at the end of the first half after the INT was so frustrating was because we haven't seen our offense that panicked/discombobulated in a such a long time.  Normally they're so under control that it was weird to see them mess up that last 16 seconds so bad.
What a bizarre series of events.

I think it was mostly orchestrated that way build suspense for the second half and keep the Cat fans from going home at halftime.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »

These stats are going to look even better after we play West Virginia's pud defense.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wQAmG0naYE8&list=ULwQAmG0naYE8#t=3952s

Yeah, it was bad. But I just went back and looked at the final play and the run was there. Combo blame goes to Whitehair, who allowed too much penetration, and Wilson, who failed to get out to block the edge. We actually got exactly what we wanted b/c the KU DE went with an inside rush on Whitehair, but Whitehair was on his heels, so the defender got penetration. All Whitehair had to do was press him inside once he made that inside move, but he had no leverage to do so. That forced Wilson to go around Whitehair, not allow him to get position to block the KU LB. If Wilson gets out clean, Klein scores untouched.

IMHO it was a really good play call, but extremely poor execution, especially since the KU defensive end did exactly what we would've wanted him to do.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wQAmG0naYE8&list=ULwQAmG0naYE8#t=3952s

Yeah, it was bad. But I just went back and looked at the final play and the run was there. Combo blame goes to Whitehair, who allowed too much penetration, and Wilson, who failed to get out to block the edge. We actually got exactly what we wanted b/c the KU DE went with an inside rush on Whitehair, but Whitehair was on his heels, so the defender got penetration. All Whitehair had to do was press him inside once he made that inside move, but he had no leverage to do so. That forced Wilson to go around Whitehair, not allow him to get position to block the KU LB. If Wilson gets out clean, Klein scores untouched.

IMHO it was a really good play call, but extremely poor execution, especially since the KU defensive end did exactly what we would've wanted him to do.

Is it a better play call than 2 or 3 passes to the endzone would have been, given the clock / timeout situation?  I mean, running to the edge was TD or bust, and we clearly busted.
:adios:

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

We have pretty much always sucked at short clock situations look at the end of the OSU game last year.  Klein isn't trained to think he's trained to run the system 100% of the time regardless of situation.  Rather then calling the timeout he should have snapped the ball and thrown it away but again he's not trained to make off the cuff decisions like that. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »

Is it a better play call than 2 or 3 passes to the endzone would have been, given the clock / timeout situation?  I mean, running to the edge was TD or bust, and we clearly busted.

Since it didn't work, I suppose the easy answer is no. But I can't help but look at it and see how easy the score would've been had Whitehair made a block on the edge. Its a play we probably execute properly 80-90% of the time IMO. It probably didn't help that it was Whitehair's first game of the year.

The timeout was the major mistake in the sequence, and very dumb on Klein's part.