Author Topic: Post our glorious rankings in this thread  (Read 159055 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
Kansas State takes its best ranking since 2000 to Morgantown, W.Va., where the Mountaineers will be looking to bounce back from a startling 49-14 loss at Texas Tech. Kansas State is the only unbeaten team left in the Big 12, and Wildcats quarterback Collin Klein seems to have taken the Heisman Trophy front-runner status from West Virginia's Geno Smith.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Post our glorious rankings in this thread
« Reply #301 on: October 14, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
A message board is no place for hypothetical situations and prognostication folks.

Also not an appropriate place for calling out battered wife dumbass whiners.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
While we are disregarding Steve Dave's prohibition on hypothetical situations and prognostications, I'd like to say that South Carolina beating Florida, then moving on to upset Alabama in the SEC title game sounds hot and sexy.

And because I dislike blue balls, I'll add to that the notion of USC beating Oregon at the Rose Bowl, and top it off with OU beating Notre Dame....and then entire rough ridin' country arguing over who deserves a shot at LHC Bill Snyder's Wildcats in the BCS championship game.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
While we are disregarding Steve Dave's prohibition on hypothetical situations and prognostications, I'd like to say that South Carolina beating Florida, then moving on to upset Alabama in the SEC title game sounds hot and sexy.

And because I dislike blue balls, I'll add to that the notion of USC beating Oregon at the Rose Bowl, and top it off with OU beating Notre Dame....and then entire rough ridin' country arguing over who deserves a shot at LHC Bill Snyder's Wildcats in the BCS championship game.

When this happens, we won't be faking it.  It will be real.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »

And because I dislike blue balls, I'll add to that the notion of USC beating Oregon at the Rose Bowl, and top it off with OU beating Notre Dame....and then entire rough ridin' country arguing over who deserves a shot at gets to destroy LHC Bill Snyder's Wildcats in the BCS championship game.

fyp

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
I mean, wtf?

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

What about it?  ELO_CHESS is what counts in the BCS, which has us 3.  His others do not take into account wins/losses, only point differential.  In the others we are always going to look bad because all  :bill: cares about is winning, and if milking 8 minutes off the clock to get 3 points is what it takes, so be it.  Bill's style is the absolute worst for Sagarin's other rating systems. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Don't be a dumbass Frankenklein

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
I mean, wtf?

What about it?  ELO_CHESS is what counts in the BCS, which has us 3.  His others do not take into account wins/losses, only point differential.  In the others we are always going to look bad because all  :bill: cares about is winning, and if milking 8 minutes off the clock to get 3 points is what it takes, so be it.  Bill's style is the absolute worst for Sagarin's other rating systems. 

Did not realize that ELO_CHESS was all that was taken into account for BCS. Good to hear.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
I mean, wtf?

Did not realize that ELO_CHESS was all that was taken into account for BCS. Good to hear.

Yeah, Sagarin buries it in the text because he thinks it's bullshit he has to provide ELO_CHESS.  However, in order to get paid, he has to do it.  He posts his rankings in the order of a different system as an eff you to the BCS.  However, the point of football is to win the game, not score as many points as possible while holding your opponents to the least amount of points over the course of the season. 

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
So if I'm seeing this correctly there are 11 ranked and undefeated teams halfway through the season. This seems like a lot. I wonder what the average is.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »
I mean, wtf?

Yeah, Sagarin buries it in the text because he thinks it's bullshit he has to provide ELO_CHESS.  However, in order to get paid, he has to do it.  He posts his rankings in the order of a different system as an eff you to the BCS.  However, the point of football is to win the game, not score as many points as possible while holding your opponents to the least amount of points over the course of the season.

What the eff is elo_chess anyway? And why does this nerd get to help dictate the BCS rankings.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
I mean, wtf?

What the eff is elo_chess anyway? And why does this nerd get to help dictate the BCS rankings.

He got in very early as a supplier for computer rankings for the BCS.  After a while, they made a rule change that BCS computers can't take into account margin of victory.  I don't know if he'd already developed ELO_CHESS or did it for the BCS, but he had to start supplying it instead in order to stay part of the BCS because it accounts for W/L, margin of victory.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
#4 in Harris

1. Bama, 2. Oregon, 3. Florida, 4. KSU, 5. ND

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »

And because I dislike blue balls, I'll add to that the notion of USC beating Oregon at the Rose Bowl, and top it off with OU beating Notre Dame....and then entire rough ridin' country arguing over who deserves a shot at gets to destroy LHC Bill Snyder's Wildcats in the BCS championship game.

fyp
Don't be a dumbass Frankenklein
Just saying that's how the media will see it  :dunno:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
So if I'm seeing this correctly there are 11 ranked and undefeated teams halfway through the season. This seems like a lot. I wonder what the average is.

Aren't 3 of those in the Big East, though? Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers. And no one is predicting either of those 3 should even sniff a shot at the NCG.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
AP: 4
USA: 3
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
BCS Standing using only Harris & Coaches right now:
1. Bama: .9991
2. Oregon: .9590
3. KSU: .8844
4. Florida: .8838
5. ND: .8462

That's a decent margin over ND.  ND & Florida both killed us in the computers last week, but we already made up 4 spots in the Saragin this week, including jumping ND.  The human polls factor in how many voter points you have, not your ranking position.  The computers go straight off ranking positions. 

Offline Chico

• I used to be big here.
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

Thanks ednluke  :rolleyes:
usually don't have nearly 2 pages of movement in a few hours in a thread like this....so....... :dubious:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »

Thanks ednluke  :rolleyes:
usually don't have nearly 2 pages of movement in a few hours in a thread like this....so....... :dubious:
Is pretty common on elite teams message boards.Rankings threads for elite teams move along almost as fast as butthurt threads on cyclone fanatic,the phog and other sucky teams boards

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »
yes, can the battered wives sit this thread out for a while and just enjoy this?  jesus christ :flush:

What the eff? This isn't GPC, people can express whatever stupid rough ridin' debbie downer opinions they want

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
you guys are all way over thinking this stuff. if we win out, we'll be playing in the championship game. nothing else matters.

So if Alabama, KSU, and Notre Dame all win out, who will KSU play in the NC game?

that isn't going to happen so it doesn't matter.

Yes. The chances of that happening are about the same as getting attacked by a polar bear and a regular bear on the same day.