Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 469698 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »
you can also smoke and then bring in for the last little bit and put under a broiler or something i guess. honestly every time i've smoked drumbsticks i just pull the skin off before smoking them. just doesn't do a whole lot for me to leave it on.

Probably wouldn't want to use olive oil under a broiler...  Im thinking keeping the skin on would be nice to help keep the meat moist,  maybe remove after cooking?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »
the skin has fat, leave it, you can serve it without skin.  Just make sure you push your rub under the skin.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
the skin has fat, leave it, you can serve it without skin.  Just make sure you push your rub under the skin.

i don't think that whole fat is good thing works for chicken. no proof to back this up though. for like a whole chicken yeah leave the skin on or whatever i guess. but for just a drummy? meh. goodbye skin.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »

i don't think that whole fat is good thing works for chicken. no proof to back this up though. for like a whole chicken yeah leave the skin on or whatever i guess. but for just a drummy? meh. goodbye skin.

Clearly,  chicken fat isn't something you want eat a chunk of but it's still very useful to keep the meat moist.   If you like your results without it, awesome.   I would keep as an almost failsafe type of thing.   But thats just me.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
As a guy who likes to throw a few burgers, and and some occasional steaks, on the Weber, you guys make me feel like there's a much bigger grilling and smoking world out there. Inferiority sucks. Besides the great suggestions I'm picking up here, can any of you recommend a good guide/book to elite grilling and smoking? I'm all in on this. TIA.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
Bbq brethren is searchable and has the best advice out there.  It's a bbs

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Big green Egg has a forum that is good.  Obviously, it is most useful if you have an egg but even without, I'd imagine you can pick up some decent info on there.  Change the display though, otherwise its like reading tiger board.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »
Did some Babybacks and thighs today. I love this weather.

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
I wouldn't eat those ribs with katdaddy's dick

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »

Mrs. Bones is planning some serious pulled pork for tomorrow evening. Great stuff and she makes enough for two or three nights. Always quite tasty.  :lick:

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »

Mrs. Bones is planning some serious pulled pork for tomorrow evening. Great stuff and she makes enough for two or three nights. Always quite tasty.  :lick:

This isn't a crockpot thread

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

No crockpot involved here. She does it in the oven. Considering the thread title, I think her pulled pork fits nicely in the "etc." category.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »

No crockpot involved here. She does it in the oven. Considering the thread title, I think her pulled pork fits nicely in the "etc." category.

I'm not a huge sauce fan so crockpot pulled pork isn't my favorite.  Much rather have it cooked and sauce on the side.   If it's really good, I won't even use sauce.   Side note- I'm not really much of a condiment fan at all.

Offline kansas_troll_patrol

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
WW I wouldn't mind sampling those.  How long did they take and what temp did you run them at?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
WW I wouldn't mind sampling those.  How long did they take and what temp did you run them at?

4 hours on the smoker, then sauced them and put them back for 45 min or so. Still gotta rack left if you wanna swing by today and try some!

wesmantooth: no need to be jealous  :babywillie:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

4 hours on the smoker, then sauced them and put them back for 45 min or so. Still gotta rack left if you wanna swing by today and try some!

You charred the crap out of them.  But maybe you never had good ribs before dunno.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »

You charred the crap out of them.  But maybe you never had good ribs before dunno.

:lol:
- chunkles

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »

Omg wes man tooth probably parboils his ribs. Lmao.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
First go at some beef jerky. I'll never complain about the price of jerky again.  By far the most labor intensive thing I've ever cooked.  But it taste great!

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

Omg wes man tooth probably parboils his ribs. Lmao.

No idea what this means

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
First go at some beef jerky. I'll never complain about the price of jerky again.  By far the most labor intensive thing I've ever cooked.  But it taste great!

Looks good KTP. What flavor would you say they are?
- chunkles

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »

Beef flavored  :dunno:  I'm really not sure. Maybe like a sweet mesquite or something like that.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »

Beef flavored  :dunno:  I'm really not sure. Maybe like a sweet mesquite or something like that.

ahh ok. wasn't sure if whatever you marinated the beef in, was teriyaki or something like that.
- chunkles

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »

ahh ok. wasn't sure if whatever you marinated the beef in, was teriyaki or something like that.

Honestly there isn't one thing that went in to the marinade that really defined the flavor.  It had some honey.  Lots of pepper, A1 steak sauce, onion chowder, garlic chowder, a beef rub and and a cure.  I think that was all that went in.  I can find the recipe if you're interested in a jerky day.  The hardest thing was keeping the smoker at 140.