Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 469590 times)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #3475 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
I smoked a turkey last weekend as a trial run before the big day.  I have a Yoder and used a method I found online.  I injected the bird with a creole butter marinade.  Started with one hour at 190 and then kicked it up to 230 until the bird hit 155ish.  Then kicked the heat up to 300 for about an hour until the temp hit 170 (that step crisped up the skin really well).  Pulled it off and let it sit in a roaster for a little bit until I had time to carve it.  Was EXTREMELY moist and had a very good flavor.  I wasn't overly impressed with the marinade, so I will probably try a different one for Thanksgiving.  Total cook time was around 6 hours for an 11 pound bird.
@mikec2w

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: November 15, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
I smoked a turkey last weekend as a trial run before the big day.  I have a Yoder and used a method I found online.  I injected the bird with a creole butter marinade.  Started with one hour at 190 and then kicked it up to 230 until the bird hit 155ish.  Then kicked the heat up to 300 for about an hour until the temp hit 170 (that step crisped up the skin really well).  Pulled it off and let it sit in a roaster for a little bit until I had time to carve it.  Was EXTREMELY moist and had a very good flavor.  I wasn't overly impressed with the marinade, so I will probably try a different one for Thanksgiving.  Total cook time was around 6 hours for an 11 pound bird.

very good flavor - not overly impressed with marinade  :confused:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: November 15, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
In addition to salt I added chulua, pepper, brown sugar and fajitas season to my brine. Tasted awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
Smoking a turkey this year.  Anyone know average time per pound @225?

this is how i smoke my shits, works great- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
PC, do you have a big green egg?  I've eyeing one for years but never pulled the trigger.  Any thoughts on size? You ever had one crack and do they do anything for you or can anything be done? How much extra fuel do you need to pre heat one?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: November 15, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »
Smoking a turkey this year.  Anyone know average time per pound @225?

this is how i smoke my shits, works great- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
PC, do you have a big green egg?  I've eyeing one for years but never pulled the trigger.  Any thoughts on size? You ever had one crack and do they do anything for you or can anything be done? How much extra fuel do you need to pre heat one?

yeah i have a large which has a 18.5 inch diameter grill grate
the medium is too small, the xl is probably the best size.  my friend got an xl and if i had it to do over again i would go with the xl because the L is probably just a bit too small to do more than maybe a couple slabs and a chicken at one time.  i like to cook a bunch of different crap when i have mine lit so i have to stage it, like- shoulder, then ribs/chicken, then salmon.  or something like that. 

i've had mine for 8-9 years and keep it outside year round w/o a cover, never had it crack. honestly haven't heard of anyone having issues with them cracking.  the ceramic is maybe 3/4" thick and not something that is going to break without you doing something to it.  they have a lifetime warranty and you're paying for their superior customer service if something were to come up but ya, i've not had any issues at all with mine.

my L bge can go 24+ hours on one load of lump, so there is no extra fuel needed to preheat one.  just load it up, light it, cook, then put it out when you're done.  you don't have to pull the used lump out, just relight it the next time you're wanting to cook.

buy one, you'll love it.  start up costs are high but it should last a lifetime.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
What kind of tacos would you recommend making with it?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
since i use the leftover shoulder for smoked carnitas tacos i would say smoked carnitas tacos.  that's my vote.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »

very good flavor - not overly impressed with marinade  :confused:

The smoke flavor and moisture of the bird was very good.  I was speaking more about the process and the smokiness of the meat.  The marinade is a trial and error process in finding something that I really like.
@mikec2w

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: November 16, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »
AST

do you find that using the foil makes the dark cook slower?  I've always started my turkey's upside down in an offset because I worry about the breast getting done too fast

with the 24 hr wet brine & then butter injection i do, i've never had an issue with the breast drying out, not even a close call.  yes it gets a little hotter but still is super moist.  that is without foiling or ice-packing or any of the various tricks.  i do occasionally foil the entire bird but that is at the end of a smoke and i'm worried about the bird taking on too dark of a skin.

tell me what brine to use and what all goes into the butter injection. i am going to be grilling a turkey not smoking it fwiw

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: November 17, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »
Best smoked turkey I have had was dipped into boiling grease for about 35 to 40 min.  :Keke:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: November 17, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
AST

do you find that using the foil makes the dark cook slower?  I've always started my turkey's upside down in an offset because I worry about the breast getting done too fast

with the 24 hr wet brine & then butter injection i do, i've never had an issue with the breast drying out, not even a close call.  yes it gets a little hotter but still is super moist.  that is without foiling or ice-packing or any of the various tricks.  i do occasionally foil the entire bird but that is at the end of a smoke and i'm worried about the bird taking on too dark of a skin.

tell me what brine to use and what all goes into the butter injection. i am going to be grilling a turkey not smoking it fwiw
I really like this stuff.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: November 17, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
AST

I used something very similar and wasn't that impressed.  I am going to mix up my own with some beer in it for T-day and see what happens.
@mikec2w

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: November 17, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
You probably used this which does suck.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: November 17, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
What's the best seasoning for under the skin?  Best foodstuffs for filling cavity?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »
Garlic butter and salt.  Sautéed and then let it reset.  Rub all over on and under skin..  Thyme is good too.

I've always stuffed the cavity with onions.   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: November 17, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »
Saw a recipe that called for apples, onions, and 2 cans of coke for cavity?  Should that be under the "what midwesterners like" thread?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
AST

the best!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: November 17, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Saw a recipe that called for apples, onions, and 2 cans of coke for cavity?  Should that be under the "what midwesterners like" thread?
Don't listen to recipies that call for cans of liquid in the cavity... It doesn't have any affect on flavor or moisture and actually will dry out the bird, as the extra thermal mass will just slow down the cook time

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: November 17, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
Don't listen to recipies that call for cans of liquid in the cavity... It doesn't have any affect on flavor or moisture and actually will dry out the bird, as the extra thermal mass will just slow down the cook time

My family recipe which goes back hundreds of years calls for the apple and onion but i've never heard of anyone adding cans of coke.  That sounds like some idiot white Midwesterner was trying to apply the "coke butt chicken" technique to a turkey.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
You probably used this which does suck.

Yup....it was all I could find at the time. 
@mikec2w

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: November 17, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »
My Dillons (gonna miss that place when I move) has it all day ever-y-day. Right now they have a display up front with this the seasoning, oil, and fryers.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »
Canco an apple is pretty great with onion.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: November 19, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
Confession: I've used a smokey joe since high school. I'm in a good place now where I can get a real grill. And I have no idea where to turn. Tiny buckets of charcoal are all I know.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: November 20, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »
If gas, and if avail in the middle east, get a webber genesis.  They are really great.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: November 21, 2016, 09:01:05 AM »
I inject my smoked bird with duck fat - it is amazing