Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 476020 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #3525 on: November 28, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »
i don't wrap my brisket, aaron franklin has proven that it makes no difference
i went the entire smoke at 340.  10 lbs after trimming choice brisket @ 340 for ~5 hours, pulled from smoker at ~197 degrees then wrapped in saran wrap then foil for an hour

i do wrap the ribs b/c like i said, i like falling off the bone and the steaming in the foil helps.  at 340, the back ribs which were really meaty, went 2, 1.5.  in the foil i do parkay, tiger sauce, brown sugar, and apple juice (johnny trigg style)

one of the best briskets I've done.  very tender, i was cutting 1/4 inch slices and it pulled apart exactly how KCBS wants it to.  great bark.  even the very first corner slice of the flat was moist and that piece has a tendency to dry out very easily. 

of course at lot of the post smoke results begin with the quality of meat you're starting out with and Broadway Butcher doesn't mess around.  his stuff is good, that's why i mentioned his source up above.  the higher quality briskets churn out less burnt ends because the point is fattier than normal but I'd guess it made ~ 2 lbs of be's.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: November 28, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
What did you pay for the choice at Broadway?  How much did you have to trim?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: November 28, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »
it's $7 per lb and yeah kind of expensive but I think his choice is better than something like Costco's prime, even mcgonigle's imo and they each sell theirs @ $7 lb too.  Costco's is untrimmed at that price, mcgonigle's is over trimmed.  mcgonigle's is more for braising.

I guess I trimmed roughly 1.5 lbs off

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: November 28, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

the ribs looked mumped but they were elite, bottom pan has 3/4 slab

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: November 28, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
i'm going to steal some of those burnt ends, 'lams
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: November 28, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »
you should have come down to the 64112 on 11/26, they're all gone now  :tongue:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: November 28, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
oh dang, i think i had an authentic italian pie from pizza hut on 11/26 in the 64114

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: November 28, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
hmmm pizza hut, buon appetito!

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Looks great, love that thick bark 

Are you still using a Large BGE?  How many slabs fit on there with the brisket?  Does the cooler temps have much effect on the BGE? (more fuel, different venting, etc)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: November 29, 2016, 10:12:47 AM »
Looks great, love that thick bark 

Are you still using a Large BGE?  How many slabs fit on there with the brisket?  Does the cooler temps have much effect on the BGE? (more fuel, different venting, etc)

i have a BGE and a traeger, i use both about equally, depends on what else is going on

ambient temps don't have a big effect on the bge.  its ability to insulate is its biggest advantage over other types of smokers.  i would guess it's the most efficient smoker on the market.  on the downside, it's expensive to buy and the smoking surface area is small (18.5 inches around).

hard to say how much more fuel it uses in colder temps because one load will go ~24 hours and i rarely smoke for that long especially in cold months.  i do use it year round though.  I've lit it in the rain and snow.  same venting year round, mine seems to like a quarter to half inch on the bottom and a nickle thickness opening on top.

a large bge can handle a smaller packer brisket and a 2 slabs of ribs but you just have to be really creative on how you put the ribs on there

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: November 29, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
I have a large pretty heavy duty offset smoker.

Tons of cooking room.  Lots of heat zones, you have to do lots of rotating though if you are cooking a lot of stuff. 

Not super efficient, I go through quite a bit of fuel it seems but I can do all weather.

My next will be a smokey mountain 22.5.  I have 2 friends with WSM's and they are very good.  Half the price of a BGE.  BGE you can grill off of though too.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »

Tons of cooking room.  Lots of heat zones, you have to do lots of rotating though if you are cooking a lot of stuff. 

Not super efficient, I go through quite a bit of fuel it seems but I can do all weather.

My next will be a smokey mountain 22.5.  I have 2 friends with WSM's and they are very good.  Half the price of a BGE.  BGE you can grill off of though too.
Can you get your offset up to 300+ this time year so you could smoke a turkey on Thanksgiving morning? 

I love the versatility of an offset because you grill and smoke and I do love the ease of the separate fire box

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: November 29, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
Yes, and it would hold, I also have a welders blanket that I use if it's really windy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: November 29, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »

I have a WSM and it is very consistent.  One glaring difference would be efficiency between that and Clams' BGE.  You will go through a lot more fuel in the WSM.  Also, I couldn't smoke anything at 340deg without lighting the entire coal bed at once, which would make you add fuel even more often.  I use the minion method and a bowl of coal will last 6-7 hrs.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: November 30, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
We are going to have Christmas dinner at our house for about 20 people.  I am planning on making prime rib but I am unsure of how much to make.  Does two 10 pound'rs sound right to you guys?  I can't remember how big the last one was that I made for NYE.
@mikec2w

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: November 30, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »
bone in or no?
the general recommendo is a half lb per person
20 lbs of straight beef will be too much.  but is it possible to have too much prime rib? no.  so go for it.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
bone in or no?
20 lbs of straight beef will be too much but is it possible to have too much prime rib, no.  so go for it.

I'm not sure if I will get the bone-in or just the roast.  I will see what the butcher has next week and go from there.  If I do the bone in variety, I will probably have them trim it and then tie them back on so I don't have to fool with that business on game day. 
@mikec2w

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: November 30, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
I have never made a prime rib.  Would like to try it.  Would probably do bone in, roast it, then use the bones to make some bad ass sauce/demi glace for future stuff.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: November 30, 2016, 09:14:36 AM »
That would be plenty I would think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
bone in or no?
20 lbs of straight beef will be too much but is it possible to have too much prime rib, no.  so go for it.

I'm not sure if I will get the bone-in or just the roast.  I will see what the butcher has next week and go from there.  If I do the bone in variety, I will probably have them trim it and then tie them back on so I don't have to fool with that business on game day. 

the rib bones aren't hard to deal with at all and given the chance, i always cook bone in.  i think the bones give the meat more flavor.
the rib rack sits on top of the roast and is easily removed after cooking, it cuts right off of the roast.  you just grab the slab and slice it off.
prime rib is really easy to cook.  hardest part is cooking it to the correct temp without overcooking it.  that meat gains a lot of thermal mass and keeps cooking for a while after pulling it from the heat.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »
Bones :barf:

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: November 30, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
Unpopular Opinion: Prime Rib is disgusting.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: November 30, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »
cow sushi

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: November 30, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
Agree with the 3 previous posts

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
bone in or no?

the rib bones aren't hard to deal with at all and given the chance, i always cook bone in.  i think the bones give the meat more flavor.
the rib rack sits on top of the roast and is easily removed after cooking, it cuts right off of the roast.  you just grab the slab and slice it off.
prime rib is really easy to cook.  hardest part is cooking it to the correct temp without overcooking it.  that meat gains a lot of thermal mass and keeps cooking for a while after pulling it from the heat.

My plan is to pull them at 125 and cover with foil in a pan for about 15 or 20 minutes before slicing.  Do you think this temp is too high, too low, or just right.  It won't be the end of the world if a few pieces of each roast are a little more well done than others.  I am sure there are some heathens that will want a "well done" piece of prime rib.    :facepalm:
@mikec2w