Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 481922 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #3350 on: June 13, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »
Pretty monumental fail this weekend, feeling some shame, but willing to share if it might help others.  :frown:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: June 13, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
let's hear it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: June 13, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »
Ok here goes.  Last July my wife got me one of these:  http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/brinkmann-gourmet-electric-smoker

I asked for something like that because my buddy has one and he has done some pretty amazing stuff on it.  I'm no alexander_supertramp and I accept that and have no ambitions as such.  I just want to do something here and there and not completely eff it up.  Apparently that might even be too ambitious. 

Anyway, finally put it together and aspired to do some beef jerky.  Simple enough right?  Wrong.

Basically, the thing doesn't have a variable control, so like what you get for temp is what you get.  You could open the door I guess to vent but that's the only control.  I basically cooked my jerky in the first 30 minutes and it was done.  Proceeded to burn the eff out of it because who the eff cares.  I ordered a dehydrator off Amazon and that's that.  Maybe next summer I will try something else.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: June 13, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Ok here goes.  Last July my wife got me one of these:  http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/brinkmann-gourmet-electric-smoker

I asked for something like that because my buddy has one and he has done some pretty amazing stuff on it.  I'm no alexander_supertramp and I accept that and have no ambitions as such.  I just want to do something here and there and not completely eff it up.  Apparently that might even be too ambitious. 

Anyway, finally put it together and aspired to do some beef jerky.  Simple enough right?  Wrong.

Basically, the thing doesn't have a variable control, so like what you get for temp is what you get.  You could open the door I guess to vent but that's the only control.  I basically cooked my jerky in the first 30 minutes and it was done.  Proceeded to burn the eff out of it because who the eff cares.  I ordered a dehydrator off Amazon and that's that.  Maybe next summer I will try something else.

sorry bud, there's a reason they went tits up.

Get yourself a Masterbuilt or Bradley.   They are much better.

Offline ksu_funny33

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: June 13, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »

I've owned that same smoker for about 6 years. It's not the best in the world but once you've had it awhile you'll get good results. It definitely isn't ideal having to use the door to control the temp, but I bought one of those Maverick remote thermometers that has a probe for the smoker temp which helped a ton. Once you get the temp close to where you want it, the smoker is actually really nice because you don't have to add fuel.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »
You can buy vents and cut one in.  Maybe try that and drill in a thermometer too?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: June 13, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
Ya I added a thermometer as it was warming up.  I'm also going to buy a variable heater element, my buddy gets good results with his. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: June 14, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »
Ya I added a thermometer as it was warming up.  I'm also going to buy a variable heater element, my buddy gets good results with his.

there are also rheostats you can get to adjust the temps with the stock element.   The plug in between the smoker and outlet.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: June 14, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »

there are also rheostats you can get to adjust the temps with the stock element.   The plug in between the smoker and outlet.

Got a link?  It's like 1500 watts.  Seems like a pretty inefficient way to dump energy.  Maybe even dangerous?  It's outside at least.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: June 14, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

Got a link?  It's like 1500 watts.  Seems like a pretty inefficient way to dump energy.  Maybe even dangerous?  It's outside at least.

there are some commercial units, but for $200 or so you'd be better off just getting a new smoker.    Here's a DIY version for your exact smoker

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Smoke-O-Tron/

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »
West Virginia Day weekend. Butt for everyone...

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 17, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
I want to make some grilled lamb chops with blackberry sauce Sunday. Not sure if Trim is a fan of lamb tho.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:03 AM »
This is one of those threads I never bothered to catch up on since 2012.

I fux w/lamb.  That's what Jason's made the last 2 times I've been out there.  Guess you guys can have a competition if I can remember whether his was better or worse than yours.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Got my dehydrator.  Did strawberries and apples and bananas last night.  I think this is going to be the way to go for jerky. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »
You can do jerky in the oven pretty easy.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 17, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
You can do jerky in the oven pretty easy.

I don't think mine goes cool enough, gas. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 18, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Got 20 lbs of pork smoking this morning.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »

Jerky isn't the easiest thing to do.  I've done it twice on my BGE.  First time it was great, next time I made charcoal. 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 03, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

@mikec2w

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 03, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
is that fish?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 03, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Gravity defying bacon wrapped pork?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
i'm torn between ordering a pizza right now or saying eff it and throwing a pork loin on the grill.  have never done that
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 03, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »
Pork loin has almost no fat so it dries out quickly.  Definitely want to wrap.it in foil if it's a gas grill and it only needs to be 140 degrees to be done, do you have meat thermometer?