Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 475498 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #5375 on: December 14, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
I got a choice rib eye 8-10 lbs for 13.88/lb at Sam's.  Certified Angus Beef FWIW.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: December 14, 2021, 08:47:25 PM »
truss your tenderloins before cooking them

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: December 15, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
truss your tenderloins before cooking them

if this means more than sear then smoke i'm  :confused:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: December 15, 2021, 10:07:36 AM »
full disclosure i have not read all 200+ pages ITT so sorry if already discussed, but

ok i have a confession. The last bunch of times i've cooked ribeyes...i've done it on the cast iron on the stove instead of the grill. They keep turning out better than on the grill. maybe its because i can put stuff in the cast iron like butter and rosemary sprigs that would just fall through the grill grates.

Am i a bad person for doing this?

general strategy:
1. take steaks out of fridge about 30mins -1 hr before cooking so let them come up to room temp
2. pat dry then season with salt and pepper both sides. Heat up cast iron to really dang hot, add a little avocado oil.
3. Once pan is hot af throw steaks on, let them sit for a few seconds then give them a little nudge to make sure they aren't stuck to the pan. sear for about 3 minutes (depending on size and thickness) then flip it over and do the same thing on other side. Usually when i flip i will put some butter on top and in the pan. throw in rosemary sprigs if you're into that sort of thing (i am)
4. After searing the other side throw in the oven to finish...usually about 5-10 minutes total. I typically will check temp after about 3 minutes, if they are at 145F then i just pull them out, if below then i'll flip them and throw back in the oven for a couple more minutes until they hit 145F.

Biggest complaint is that when i throw them on the cast iron initially i don't think i'm getting a great sear because i think the salt/pepper on the surface sometimes kinda sticks to the pan instead of staying with the steak. not really sure how to remedy that though...guessing maybe the pan might need a little more oil so that the salt stays on the steak but i have no idea.

I assume AST probably will just casually on a tuesday be like "eh, guess i'll make steak tonight or whatever ho hum" and then proceed to make some masterpiece better than anything i've ever tasted in my life ever, so AST if you care to share any tips/tricks I'm all ears.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: December 15, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
They are better off the cast iron, imo. I sous vide at 129, sear one side for about 2 minutes, flip, add butter and rosemary, and sear for another 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:18:59 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: December 15, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »
full disclosure i have not read all 200+ pages ITT so sorry if already discussed, but

ok i have a confession. The last bunch of times i've cooked ribeyes...i've done it on the cast iron on the stove instead of the grill. They keep turning out better than on the grill. maybe its because i can put stuff in the cast iron like butter and rosemary sprigs that would just fall through the grill grates.

general strategy:
1. take steaks out of fridge about 30mins -1 hr before cooking so let them come up to room temp
2. pat dry then season with salt and pepper both sides. Heat up cast iron to really dang hot, add a little avocado oil.
3. Once pan is hot af throw steaks on, let them sit for a few seconds then give them a little nudge to make sure they aren't stuck to the pan. sear for about 3 minutes (depending on size and thickness) then flip it over and do the same thing on other side. Usually when i flip i will put some butter on top and in the pan. throw in rosemary sprigs if you're into that sort of thing (i am)
4. After searing the other side throw in the oven to finish...usually about 5-10 minutes total. I typically will check temp after about 3 minutes, if they are at 145F then i just pull them out, if below then i'll flip them and throw back in the oven for a couple more minutes until they hit 145F.

Biggest complaint is that when i throw them on the cast iron initially i don't think i'm getting a great sear because i think the salt/pepper on the surface sometimes kinda sticks to the pan instead of staying with the steak. not really sure how to remedy that though...guessing maybe the pan might need a little more oil so that the salt stays on the steak but i have no idea.

I assume AST probably will just casually on a tuesday be like "eh, guess i'll make steak tonight or whatever ho hum" and then proceed to make some masterpiece better than anything i've ever tasted in my life ever, so AST if you care to share any tips/tricks I'm all ears.
What temp do you put the oven at?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: December 15, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »

general strategy:

I'm drooling on my keyboard.

I would like to see pics of prime rib roasts that gE'rs create during the holiday season.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: December 15, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »
They are better off the cast iron, imo. I sous vide at 129, sear one side for about 2 minutes, flip, add butter and rosemary, and sear for another 2 minutes.
I read that you should sous vide a ribeye at a higher temp so the fats break down better

https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/f6hn9o/i_thought_ribeye_at_137_for_2_hours_was/

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: December 15, 2021, 10:41:37 AM »

general strategy:

There are only 2 ways to cook steaks, IMO.  This way and the reverse sear, which is what you do, just the opposite.  Put in a 200 degree oven or smoker (I do mine on the traeger) up to about 125 or so, and then sear on the cast iron for a couple min a side, doing all the butter, rosemary, etc.   I have also found that good steaks don't really need any pepper.  I usually just do a tiny bit of salt, pre oven.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: December 15, 2021, 10:50:52 AM »

general strategy:

What temp do you put the oven at?
350 in convection mode.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: December 15, 2021, 10:55:55 AM »

i've always wanted to try sous vide but mrs BAC - who is a chemical engineer - refuses to eat anything that has been in plastic subjected to elevated temperatures. (in the same breath she will admit that she is probably being crazy and overly cautious but she still refuses)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: December 15, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

general strategy:

I'm drooling on my keyboard.

I would like to see pics of prime rib roasts that gE'rs create during the holiday season.

Reverse seared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
That looks incred, Cire.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: December 15, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »
I see nothing wrong with anything you said BAC.  If I am doing steaks, most of the time I prefer cast iron to grill.  A couple of exceptions.  If the steak is too thin or too thick (approaching roast).

In the too thin, I feel you can get great flavor by grilling at really high heat.  Because either cast iron or grill will most likely take the thin cut past med-rare or even medium.  And at that point, I would rather have the sear than the pink.

And on roasts, you can get a great result from a high temp smoke.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: December 15, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
That looks incred, Cire.

that pic is 2, 5 lb bone in rib roasts.  Choice grade

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: December 15, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
Need some input from gE grillmasters. I got some wagyu hamburger patties a few weeks ago and the first batch I cooked on the pellet grill left this weird greasy film in my mouth. I’m thinking I need to good them directly over charcoal to avoid this with the next batch but I would appreciate input on this.

Now that you mention Wagyu, I have 8 heifers that will be AI'd with wagyu next week and am looking for a herd bull.  Plan on having a small herd eventually of about 50 cows and keep a couple bulls, will be eating like a boss and have the dollars rolling in.  :billdance:  Any info on a registered bull for under 6k much appreciated.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: December 15, 2021, 06:41:35 PM »
I read that you should sous vide a ribeye at a higher temp so the fats break down better

https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/f6hn9o/i_thought_ribeye_at_137_for_2_hours_was/
I agree, though it depends some on how much you let the temp drop before searing. I like a ribeye to about 133-134 in sous vide, provided the temp starts a bit lower for the sear.
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: December 15, 2021, 06:47:00 PM »
There was a grill stage to this so I’m counting it. Made some sausage with about 60% pheasant breast and 40% pork shoulder fat and some trimmings. Shooting for about 35% fat.

:adios:

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: December 15, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
yum!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: December 15, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: December 15, 2021, 08:26:20 PM »

general strategy:

i cast iron ribeyes almost every sunday and usually I do this-
i put my oven at 500 with the cast iron in there for about 45-1 hour
i salt the steak like 6-8 hours before I plan on cooking.  if you don’t allow enough time with the salt, it will draw the moisture out of the steak but the moisture doesn’t have time to reabsorb into the meat

the #1 thing preventing the sear is moisture

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks

salt it at lunch and throw it in the fridge

no matter what you do though, you’ve got to dry the crap out of it before putting it in the pan
i’ll put the steak on a layer of paper towels then cover with towels, then put pressure on it with my bacon press until it is as dry as I can get it then throw it into the pan,  no oil, into the oven for two minutes per side, for a couple times per side depending on how big it is

the spooning oil method from ast works great too but I make a giant mess

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: December 15, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: December 15, 2021, 09:08:41 PM »
the only reason i use a grill is because it's outside the house and i can cook with it without stinking up the inside of the house (and in the summer, heating it more).

the oven and stovetop are clearly better instruments for cooking.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: December 18, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
Spiced and trussed. 
Rosemary, Thyme, salt, pepper
Traeger at 250.

It's 8 family Xmas today.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: December 18, 2021, 09:28:24 AM »
subscribed