Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 469431 times)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #4050 on: April 23, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Can you tell me more about the thermometer in the lime? Is this lime just acting as an anchor so the probe doesn't jingle jangle around?

to get a read of the air temp in the grill, you don't want the probe touching anything

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
that's what she said  :D

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: April 23, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
Can you tell me more about the thermometer in the lime? Is this lime just acting as an anchor so the probe doesn't jingle jangle around?

to get a read of the air temp in the grill, you don't want the probe touching anything
Yep. You can use an onion, potato, or whatever you have laying around.  I didn’t use it for anything this time, but the smoked lemon juice is kind of interesting too.
:adios:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: April 23, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »
that's what she said  :D

Are you referring to fun with lime, or the sad fact of a pencil dick.  :Wha:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: May 02, 2019, 10:17:01 AM »
crap, this version is definitely gonna go down in front of the scheme isn't it?

:lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: May 02, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Haven't read this thread for a while.  New place has a balcony that's longer and narrower than I've had.  It's not going to work having any furniture out there AND a grill, so the furniture's gone; I'll use the roof for hanging outside.  So the balcony will just be a kitchen extension.

I've got a small 2-burner weber gas grill out there that works well and will work great again if I replace the grates and burners.  I use it almost daily year-round.  Trying to decide on buying something to complement the grill and/or something that could replace the grill and also smoke and do other stuff, probably a Traeger-ish thing.

The rules are simply that gas and electric is allowed, charcoal isn't.  I think they were written before other stuff became prevalent.  So a pellet thing works, but I don't want it to be too much of a spectacle and cause neighbors to question it and eventually get the rule updated.

This standard size one would probably fit, but at the expense of having the gas grill: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Pro-575-Smart-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-in-Black-with-Wifi-Technology-TFB57GLE/307301426.  Concern there would be that it may cause too much of a scene with smoke and stuff and also that I've heard these things might suck for grilling steaks and it'd also be more of a chore for when I just want to grill a burger for lunch.

Traeger makes a few smaller ones like these, and I could potentially fit it out there AND keep the gas grill; I don't know if they would cause neighbors to question what I'm doing.

https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/other-grills/junior-elite-20-pellet-grill
https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/other-grills/bronson-20-pellet-grill
https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/portable-series/tailgater-pellet-grill-bronze

It'd be really easy to just get a small vertical electric smoker (or anything of that size that would be a good complement to the grill) like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Smoke-Hollow-30-in-Electric-Smoker-with-Window-30162EW/206288940

Simplicity in getting the food from purchase to tasting good in my mouf is a priority.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: May 02, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »
Traeger pros:

-easy af
-food tastes good
-very versatile

Traeger cons:

-can produce a lot of smoke which may piss of neighbors in this sitch
-don't get hot enough to be able to cook something super quick, and also won't sear steaks (can still make delicious steaks on this tho)

I do know someone with the small version of the traeger, and in my experience, since the cook area is smaller and the top of the lid closer to the grill grate, they tend to get a little hotter which could lower cook time for a lunch burg.  smoke probably be the biggest issue tho

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: May 02, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
T-Y, m-m.  If I can confirm a smaller one would fit alright and still let me keep the gas grill, that could be great as I'd still do my simple stuff on the non-intrusive gas grill and pick the ideal times to do more intense stuff on the small traeger.  I'd been thinking that or settling for the grill plus a small electric smoker is probably more sensible than a full-size traeger on its own.

Ask your connect when you can how ridiculous it would be to use what they have on a balcony of a condo with a lot of traffic of all sorts pretty close below.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: May 02, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »
Get one of these little guys for smoking and keep a gas grill for the burgers and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountain-Grills-Crockett-Pellet/dp/B01G5YFF7W/ref=asc_df_B01G5YFF7W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198068685752&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16738433062895989323&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024145&hvtargid=pla-323661876155&psc=1

Interesting.  The size and shape of that one might not work for my balcony, especially if the smoke comes out the chimney-looking thing but maybe I could get creative and build (have built, obvs.) an alternative to the legs that could make it more feasible.  I see which places here sell them and can go put some eyes on it.

The awkward shape of the new balcony and where doors are is what had me initially thinking a complementary smoker would have to be more vertical, but both that and the traegers could possibly fit, especially if I could get them up on a stand of sorts that would have the lid opening up over the railing instead of into it.  I'd like to do that with the grill too.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: May 02, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
Gas grill would come in closer to the door.  Complementary piece would go back by that end wall, but should be set up to where the smoke discharge is going out from the balcony and not into the walls or window.  That back corner is also where the electrical outlet is.  It'd be cool if I could get the gas grill and the hypothetical smoker off the floor about 1-2 feet so that they could be right against the railing and I'd have more space in front of each.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: May 02, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »
Pretty sure you can put it up on a table if you want to get it off of the floor.  We've put one on a truck tailgate before.
@mikec2w

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: May 02, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »
Gas grill would come in closer to the door.  Complementary piece would go back by that end wall, but should be set up to where the smoke discharge is going out from the balcony and not into the walls or window.  That back corner is also where the electrical outlet is.  It'd be cool if I could get the gas grill and the hypothetical smoker off the floor about 1-2 feet so that they could be right against the railing and I'd have more space in front of each.

Sweet pad, are you walking distance to campus?
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: May 02, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »

Hahaha tubesock White-flighted away from the city back in the 1960s

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: May 03, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »

Yes!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: May 03, 2019, 10:49:03 PM »
Pretty sure you can put it up on a table if you want to get it off of the floor.  We've put one on a truck tailgate before.

So the main dealer for this company here is like a Watson's (of Watson's Girl fame) place that sells hot tubs and stuff.  I went to the one relatively close to my place and they didn't have one on the floor so the guy goes and assembles one for the floor and is pitching me on it.  I instantly see what I thought already - that the legs would kind of suck, both in shortness and how they spread out behind and in front of the thing.  He tells me it's $450 but on sale for $381; he'd seen me looking at this thread and the thing on amazon and said there'd be no warranty if I bought it online.  Told him I'd take some measurements and figure out what it could sit on and if it would work.

Ran the rest of my errands down south including a place that sells all Traegers and confirming none of their sizes would be as good as this thing or a vertical, and then had to go to the next-to-dirtiest dirt mall to get something from the container store.  While in there, saw they sell "commercial" metal shelving - https://www.containerstore.com/s/shelving/metro-commercial/12 - that would be a perfect 18 inches deep and I could get it to any height, but I can probably find something more industrial and less interior-looking for cheaper.

Trying to leave this mall, I see what looks like all the crap from the hot tub store out in some fenced off area of the parking lot.  It was the same chain having some weekend event there.  I tell that dude what I'm up to and he offers me the thing for $329 like it is on amazon and pretty much everywhere and says I can take it back to a store if it doesn't work out.  So that's that.

What should I get that will be good and safe to put it on so that I can keep it 16-18 inches deep rather than the 23 the legs spread out to?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: May 04, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
I want a setup similar to this.  I'd probably ditch the chrome piece he has extending off the right so that it goes in an even smaller footprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aVsYYjZsk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: May 05, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: May 05, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
is that achiote on the chicken?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: May 05, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
is that achiote on the chicken?
No, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and a little brush of Gates sauce

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: May 05, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
Would
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: June 15, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
bumping this thread to see all you Dad's sexy grilling/smoking pics tomorrow and Monday. I myself (not a father but a devoted observer of the holiday) am only planning steaks with brussels sprouts and some fancy mushrooms I picked up at Whole Foods, but hopefully some of you are doing ribs, butts, whole animals, lobsters, etc. Let's see what your're cooking for Fathers Day1

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: June 15, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »
crap. Posted a smoker dinner in the cooking thread instead of here. Go look if ya want. Lol

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: July 03, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
Had a little get together at the house on Sunday.  Beef short ribs, sausage, beef cheek burnt ends and some cheeks for tacos, elotes, Fuji apple slaw, watermelon wedge salad.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: July 03, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
Dear God, man...