Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 467866 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
t-y pissclams.
it's prob the most popular smoker out there and definitely the best BANG-4-BUCK.  if you decide you hate it you'll have no problem selling it for a decent price

i was actually reading reviews on it when you posted, so i was glad to see you recommend it. tbh, i'm very intimidated at this point, but i've decided i need a hobby and i might enjoy this.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
t-y pissclams.
it's prob the most popular smoker out there and definitely the best BANG-4-BUCK.  if you decide you hate it you'll have no problem selling it for a decent price

i was actually reading reviews on it when you posted, so i was glad to see you recommend it. tbh, i'm very intimidated at this point, but i've decided i need a hobby and i might enjoy this.

Obv. I'm a novice but an upright barrel-type smoker like a WSM is undoubtedly easier than what I'm trying.  I just don't have the cash to go out an pick up a smoker right now. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
t-y pissclams.

Obv. I'm a novice but an upright barrel-type smoker like a WSM is undoubtedly easier than what I'm trying.  I just don't have the cash to go out an pick up a smoker right now.

I've got one with a firebox on the side.  I can also use it to grill burgers and steaks if needed with the charcoal trays in the cooking chamber.  I think I spent about $300 for it.  It wasn't very expensive but was what I wanted to use to get started.  Once it rusts out, I plan on spending substantially more.
@mikec2w

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
t-y pissclams.

you shouldn't be intimidated.  it's very easy and a great hobby that ends with you eating awesome food that you cooked.  it's a fun hobby because of all the different variables in play, you can cook the same piece of meat a million different ways and experiment with different stuff, etc and it will end up different every time.  kind of like home brewing but not beer but bbq.

t-y pissclams.

you definitely don't need a dedicated smoker, it just makes things easier.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I'm right at 6 hours in and the ribs still haven't pulled back from the bone to the point of what would usually be considered done.  This is probably because the grill started to run cooler right around the 4.5 hour mark.  I added some more coals, but it took a while to warm things back up.  I might have also taken to long foiling them up as well.  The grill has been stable at right around 220 for a good hour now so I think I'll just let them keep cooking and wait it out for another 30-45 minutes. 

Would it be a crime to finish them in the oven?  They already have all the smoke they need and basically the grill is just acting as an oven at this point.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
pull doesn't necessarily mean done.  The bend test is the best way to tell IMO>

I finish in the oven all the time to save charcoal.  especially with big stuff.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
pull doesn't necessarily mean done.  The bend test is the best way to tell IMO>

I finish in the oven all the time to save charcoal.  especially with big stuff.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

These ribs, at least in my opinion are pretty damn meaty.  I don't know how much that has to do with them not pulling from the bone too much. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Just took them off the grill.  I did the bend test but there were only slight cracks ( I did cut the full slab in half before smoking).  I did the toothpick test with a blunt end match stick and it passed with ease.  My thermometer sucks and takes forever to get a good read so I didn't even try that.  I just decided to cut off one of the end pieces, look at it and try it. 

The meat looked done to me, so I tried it.  It required a slight tug and was nowhere near "falling off the bone," I liked the texture and the meat was moist enough for my liking.  I'm going to pop them in the oven to keep warm (180) until my family gets here.  At that point I'll pull them out and let them rest (i dont even know if that is necessary with ribs) while I heat up the beans and the corn on the cob.   

I've been taking pictures along the way and will post later. 

This was pretty fun, and though I don't know how great these ribs are, they taste pretty good to me and I'll definitely be smoking again soon. 

Only problem is, I ran out of beer. 

:drool:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If they taste good to you, you did it right.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
This thread is one of those "worthless w/o pics" threads.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If they taste good to you, you did it right.

yep. my only slight concern is that he cut the end piece off and said it was good but also said the ribs were really meaty so maybe some of the other center parts aren't totally done to his liking. dunno.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If someone were to get into smoking...what would be you guys recommendation for a starter smoker? tia

18.5 inch weber smokey mountain

I've heard only great things about the WSM. You see a lot of them at emaw tailgates too.

I still say the rest of you are crazy for cooking that hot, but it's whatever works best for you.

Like 'clams said it's a ton of fun. So many different types of meat and different ways to cook them. I even have a holiday rivalry going with my uncle. He kicked me in the nuts this Easter but I had his number at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Just curious, what do you guys do other meats at? Me:

Poultry: 225 for 6-8 hours
Pork shoulder: 180-200 for 10-12 hours
Brisket: 180 - 200 for 10-12 hours
Ribs: 180-200 for 8-10 hours
Prime Rib: 180 for 8 hours - I have only tried this once and I missed my temp goal. It was a little too close to "done" and not as medium as I would have liked.

I have a feeling I cook a lot lower but that's just how I've always done it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If someone were to get into smoking...what would be you guys recommendation for a starter smoker? tia

I've heard only great things about the WSM. You see a lot of them at emaw tailgates too.

I still say the rest of you are crazy for cooking that hot, but it's whatever works best for you.

Like 'clams said it's a ton of fun. So many different types of meat and different ways to cook them. I even have a holiday rivalry going with my uncle. He kicked me in the nuts this Easter but I had his number at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Prime Rib: 180 for 8 hours - I have only tried this once and I missed my temp goal. It was a little too close to "done" and not as medium as I would have liked.

I personally think you are cooking things too low for no apparent.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

I personally think you are cooking things too low for no apparent.

"slow cooking"

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
way too low pike.

the first time i cooked ribs, i'm pretty sure they were still raw when i ate them around midnight.  no kidding.  terrible.  raw.  that's not a smoke ring, it's just raw pink pork.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Pics are uploading.  Taking forever.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
way too low pike.

the first time i cooked ribs, i'm pretty sure they were still raw when i ate them around midnight.  no kidding.  terrible.  raw.  that's not a smoke ring, it's just raw pink pork.

I've never seen that happen before. FWIW i err on the high side of my 180-200 range

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
t-y pissclams.

:dubious:

and t-y Cire. I wasn't sure if your recommendo was for a more advanced smoker or just a sm00b like me.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
way too low pike.

Do you use any type of heat shield on your Egg? You have a medium right?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
The pictures of the homemade "smokenator" haven't yet uploaded.  If anyone is interested or wants to make their own let me know.

This whole process took probably 10-11 hours including making the sauce, "smokenator," rub, and smoking the ribs.

I started up the first coals at probably 12:30 after letting the ribs sit in the fridge, rubbed down, overnight

I'm pretty sure the majority of that liquid is just cider, but some is probably pork juice as well.

Three hours in about ready to get wrapped.

In the foil, with cider, getting foiled.  (I put them in meat side down as to keep the meaty portion moist in the foil)

Done with the foil, painted and ready to go back on the rib rack.

The finished product.  Is the top one undercooked?  I'm not sure.  The ones I ate seemed fine to me.

Full plate.  I enjoyed the process from start to finish.  I think Daris may have been right though in that some of the middle pieces may have been undercooked a bit.  I'm not really sure.  The apple flavor was pretty strong and was followed by a slow cayenne burn.  I used two different bbq sauces the Lawnside Apple clone and Cattlemen's KC Classic.  TBH, I think I preferred the Cattlemen's.

My favorite ribs were from OK Joe's. I really like the strong pepper taste in them.  Next time I'll try to replicate that. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nicname smokes ribs on kettle: Now with pictures.
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
just going by a pic of one on the top, i think they were probably a little under done. dunno/jmo. also, if you like pepper then i can't tell you again how much you'd like the rudy's rub that i posted earlier. pretty fun though huh? you'll get a million times better between this run and next run.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
just going by a pic of one on the top, i think they were probably a little under done. dunno/jmo. also, if you like pepper then i can't tell you again how much you'd like the rudy's rub that i posted earlier. pretty fun though huh? you'll get a million times better between this run and next run.

I would tend to agree.  Whenever I take mine out of the foil, I usually have a hell of a time keeping them from falling apart.  Also, the meat is usually drawing away from the rib bones quite a bit.  However, my first rack of ribs I smoked had WAY too much smoke on it and I hated them.  I recognized my mistake and adjusted as I moved forward. 

The more you do this, the better you will get.  The great part is you get to drink beer while you are experimenting.  It usually takes me a 30 pack to smoke a couple of racks of ribs and a butt.
@mikec2w

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Pork, Brisket, Ribs - My smoker usually settles in at 220-240 so I let it ride there.  I don't normally have enough time to go lower/slower anyway.  I foil brisket at 160, but haven't bothered with pork or ribs.

Poultry - I cook a little hotter and faster.  Chicken I prefer to spatchcock and cook at 375 for 1 hour.  I've had no trouble getting good smoke flavor with the shorter cook times.  I've only done one turkey, but it was at 325. 

Prime Rib - Have only done one.  Cooked at 325 with reverse sear.

nicname - Nice job.  Keep trying and fine-tuning until you get it just the way you like.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »

tbh, I think they probably were, especially in the middle.  I ran into a few snags along the way.

1. I was using Kroger brand charcoal and not lump or kingsford.  I always use Kingsford and only rarely buy lump as I find Kingsford the most reliable.  The only reason that I had the Kroger is because the blue bag tricked my unfocused eye into just assuming it was Kingsford when I pulled it off the rack.  The coals burned faster and died quicker than Kingsford had in the past.  I noticed this on prior cooks of chicken and stuff.

2. I accidentally left the lid cracked for about a half an hour at one point.  This resulted in a higher temp for the time but prob. shortened the life of the coals.

3. I think I took a bit too long both wrapping and unwrapping the foil giving the meat time to cool down more than I would want. All of these things contributed to a struggle keeping the temp high enough during the last 1.5 hours.

One question:  The ribs were pretty tasty with a definite apple and smoke flavor.  What would be the best way to reheat for serving later?  I was thinking about deboning some and leaving some on the ribs and just throwing them in the oven until they reach 180-190 or so.