Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 467836 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Nicname smokes ribs on kettle: Now with pictures.
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
A couple last thoughts:  During the whole process I was worried that my temps were too low.  The Dome thermometer read 220-230 for most of the cook, but my gut feeling was that if heat rises then it was probably a bit cooler on the grill.  I think next time I will try to keep the temp closer to 250-260 dome temp. 

What are the opinions on finishing the ribs with a quick burst of direct grilling at the end of the cook?

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
A couple last thoughts:  During the whole process I was worried that my temps were too low.  The Dome thermometer read 220-230 for most of the cook, but my gut feeling was that if heat rises then it was probably a bit cooler on the grill.  I think next time I will try to keep the temp closer to 250-260 dome temp. 

If you plan to keep smoking, eventually you should invest in a Maverick or something similar so that you know exactly what the temp is at the cooking surface and what the meat temp is (while sitting inside watching football).  I've found that my dome temp is initially 20-30 degrees hotter than at the grate, but it eventually evens out. 
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345089629&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et+732

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
just going by a pic of one on the top, i think they were probably a little under done. dunno/jmo. also, if you like pepper then i can't tell you again how much you'd like the rudy's rub that i posted earlier. pretty fun though huh? you'll get a million times better between this run and next run.

tbh, I think they probably were, especially in the middle.  I ran into a few snags along the way.

1. I was using Kroger brand charcoal and not lump or kingsford.  I always use Kingsford and only rarely buy lump as I find Kingsford the most reliable.  The only reason that I had the Kroger is because the blue bag tricked my unfocused eye into just assuming it was Kingsford when I pulled it off the rack.  The coals burned faster and died quicker than Kingsford had in the past.  I noticed this on prior cooks of chicken and stuff.

2. I accidentally left the lid cracked for about a half an hour at one point.  This resulted in a higher temp for the time but prob. shortened the life of the coals.

3. I think I took a bit too long both wrapping and unwrapping the foil giving the meat time to cool down more than I would want. All of these things contributed to a struggle keeping the temp high enough during the last 1.5 hours.

One question:  The ribs were pretty tasty with a definite apple and smoke flavor.  What would be the best way to reheat for serving later?  I was thinking about deboning some and leaving some on the ribs and just throwing them in the oven until they reach 180-190 or so. 

1. Always use lump charcoal. Burns longer and cooler. Kingsford briquettes are for high temp steaks and burgers and brats and stuff. You'll find it's easier to control the temp too.

2. Happens. I'll do this periodically to get the coals going again or if I need a 20+ more degrees. Wouldn't worry about it but learn how to control it. Just another "trick of the trade" as the hobbyist smoker would say.

3. Microwave is fine. Couple minutes for like 5 ribs or so. Oven would probably be better

What are the opinions on finishing the ribs with a quick burst of direct grilling at the end of the cook?

Funny you should ask this because I tried it last weekend. I gave the ribs about 20 minutes with the convex side down. Ended up regretting the decision. They got pretty dark but not burned, however they were pretty tough.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
just going by a pic of one on the top, i think they were probably a little under done. dunno/jmo. also, if you like pepper then i can't tell you again how much you'd like the rudy's rub that i posted earlier. pretty fun though huh? you'll get a million times better between this run and next run.

tbh, I think they probably were, especially in the middle.  I ran into a few snags along the way.

1. I was using Kroger brand charcoal and not lump or kingsford.  I always use Kingsford and only rarely buy lump as I find Kingsford the most reliable.  The only reason that I had the Kroger is because the blue bag tricked my unfocused eye into just assuming it was Kingsford when I pulled it off the rack.  The coals burned faster and died quicker than Kingsford had in the past.  I noticed this on prior cooks of chicken and stuff.

2. I accidentally left the lid cracked for about a half an hour at one point.  This resulted in a higher temp for the time but prob. shortened the life of the coals.

3. I think I took a bit too long both wrapping and unwrapping the foil giving the meat time to cool down more than I would want. All of these things contributed to a struggle keeping the temp high enough during the last 1.5 hours.

One question:  The ribs were pretty tasty with a definite apple and smoke flavor.  What would be the best way to reheat for serving later?  I was thinking about deboning some and leaving some on the ribs and just throwing them in the oven until they reach 180-190 or so.

We just nuke ours to heat the leftovers (when there are leftovers) at our house.  The kiddos tend to destroy them whether they are hot or cold.
@mikec2w

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

i'm not the best person to ask because i'm not very specific w/ how i do stuff. but i've taken ribs and wrapped them in foil again with a little more rub put on meat part and some apple juice at the bottom of the foil and put them in the oven at 250 or 300 or whatever. no idea how long i kept them in. 1.0 hour? 1.5 hours? 2.0 hours? i've probably done all of the above. if you aren't going for competition and you're kind of new at it or whatever and just want to make something that you'll like, then as long as you like the rub you'll be happy with the outcome imo.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
Man, I am definitely going to need to go to Cox Bros today for lunch.  This thread was the barbecue equivalent to going to the grocery store when you are already hungry, and ending up with 3 times the food you planned on.
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
way too low pike.

the first time i cooked ribs, i'm pretty sure they were still raw when i ate them around midnight.  no kidding.  terrible.  raw.  that's not a smoke ring, it's just raw pink pork.

Do you use any type of heat shield on your Egg? You have a medium right?

large egg and i use the plate setter

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »

you might need to calibrate your thermometer.  remove it from your smoker and use some tongs to hold it in a sauce pan of boiling water.  it should read 212° 

if it doesn't, there's a screw on the back side of it that you can adjust accordingly.

you can definitely bring the heat up during the last hour if you want to, during the last hour,maybe go to 300 for the 30 mins, and 350 for the final 20-30

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
Nobody is questioning this, so I will. In the small area of a smoker, would you really expect there to be even a negligible difference in temperature from the top of the dome to area where you place your meat? I certainly don't think there would be a 30 degree difference.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
Nobody is questioning this, so I will. In the small area of a smoker, would you really expect there to be even a negligible difference in temperature from the top of the dome to area where you place your meat? I certainly don't think there would be a 30 degree difference.

if your dome thermometer is built in it is probably bullshit anyway. get a separate electronic thermometer with a portable belt clip attachment.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »

there most definitely can be a difference that could affect the final product.  on my egg it can range b/w 20-40 degrees.  this becomes an issue if you're already on the top end of an ideal smoke range.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »

there most definitely can be a difference that could affect the final product.  on my egg it can range b/w 20-40 degrees.  this becomes an issue if you're already on the top end of an ideal smoke range.
But I thought he was saying it is hotter at the top of the dome? I guess the premise is that the heat rises around the edges and as it cools, the cooler air sinks? Maybe I misread that. Anyway, even your answer is surprising. I just didn't think it would vary that much inside once it was closed up. Thanks for the info!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
as i've read more about this, most suggest using lump charcoal....however, reading the guide with the WSM, it says to use Weber charcoal Briquettes, not lump charcoal. Thoughts?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »

But I thought he was saying it is hotter at the top of the dome? I guess the premise is that the heat rises around the edges and as it cools, the cooler air sinks? Maybe I misread that. Anyway, even your answer is surprising. I just didn't think it would vary that much inside once it was closed up. Thanks for the info!

ya i had it backward, heat rises and if you're at the lower end it will be too cool at the meat/grate.

as i've read more about this, most suggest using lump charcoal....however, reading the guide with the WSM, it says to use Weber charcoal Briquettes, not lump charcoal. Thoughts?

most hardcore guys will generally say that lump is better than briquettes

lump burns hotter.  but it doesn't matter b/c you're cooking ~250

briquettes burn longer.  i doubt it.  i think they burn about the same amount of time.

the advantage in my opinion is that lump doesn't contain anything other than the wood you're burning. no fillers, or other stuff, that could impart a flavor into the meat other than the wood smoke itself.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »

so the weber smokey mountain guide says to use weber charcoal briquettes? color me shocked.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

so the weber smokey mountain guide says to use weber charcoal briquettes? color me shocked.

rough ridin' Weber.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »

rough ridin' Weber.

currie!  :shakesfist:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »

lump burns hotter. 

This is true if you get it enough oxygen, but if you cut the O2 you can get the temp down and it's super easy to regulate (at least with an Egg). I'm not sure if briquettes can do this. The other obvious + like you said is there are no additives. Just fired wood chunks basically.

Also I've seen videos of guys that can get their Egg up to 800-900 degrees which is ridiculous, but awesome if you want to do a steak Ruth's Cris style.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

actually, that was my fault. It did not originally say Weber Briquettes, just charcoal briquettes... But i thought the same thing as you did.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

lump burns hotter. 

This is true if you get it enough oxygen, but if you cut the O2 you can get the temp down and it's super easy to regulate (at least with an Egg). I'm not sure if briquettes can do this. The other obvious + like you said is there are no additives. Just fired wood chunks basically.

Also I've seen videos of guys that can get their Egg up to 800-900 degrees which is ridiculous, but awesome if you want to do a steak Ruth's Cris style.

i got mine to 850 once, there were blue flames coming out of the top.  think- jet engine.  i closed the top and bottom and then lifted the lid, a huge fireball burned my arm (2nd degree).  the gasket fused together the top and bottom of the egg.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »
 :surprised:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »

lump burns hotter. 

i got mine to 850 once, there were blue flames coming out of the top.  think- jet engine.  i closed the top and bottom and then lifted the lid, a huge fireball burned my arm (2nd degree).  the gasket fused together the top and bottom of the egg.

Yeah I've had experience with "flame ups" when lifting the lid. I imagine at 850 that's pretty terrifying. How did you get it that hot?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
stick your wireless thermo into a potato with the end sticking out, stick the potato on the grate.  make sure the metal isn't touching metal.  gives a decent reading of air at the grate level.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Put my two pork butts on WSM about 2 hours ago. Cruising right at 245 right now. Man im nervous here guys.

Also MODS?!, can we just make this the official Smoking thread? tia
- chunkles