Author Topic: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen  (Read 24935 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
1. Manu Chao in Austin TX
2. ACL '09
3. ACL '11
4. Ozomatli and Chali 2na on Hollween in Lawrence
5. Death Cab for Cutie in Omaha

i am going to ACL this year. post or pm great tips. tia.

to get close to the stage, go to far stage right or left and walk forward as far as you can. Then make a 90 degree turn and you can get pretty close, although you might not see the entire stage. Even if you have a somewhat obstructed view, this is far better than just standing way at the back in the middle.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
1.  Roger Waters presents The Wall - Sprint Center 2010
4.  FUN. - The Pagaent STL  July 2012
5.  Aerosmith / Fuel  - Sandstone  Mid 2000s.      Mostly awesome because I was 3 rows back and they put on a great show.
6.  Aerosmith / Kid Rock - Sandstone  Early 2000s      Kid Rock is awesome live, had sopme hot cage dancers.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
311/ Matisyahu - KC City Market

Pretty sure this was in the parking lot across from the Beaumont Club, not City Market.  Was an awesome show.

You're correct. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure 311 was part of the worst concert I've ever seen.

Modest Mouse was my least favorite headliner ever. (there was an entertaining thread on ksufans)

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
did anyone catch dylan at the bram back in 04/05ish.. my gosh it was awful.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
did anyone catch dylan at the bram back in 04/05ish.. my gosh it was awful.
He was awful when I saw him, but it was still Dylan, so it was pretty awesome. Santana wasn't mainstream at the time, but he was awesome.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »

Modest Mouse was my least favorite headliner ever. (there was an entertaining thread on ksufans)

Yeah, 311 is an awful band.  There are lots of reasons a concert can suck, but the worst is if the band just blows.  Like 311.  Even then, you can pull it off if your band is having fun rather than trying to be "cool" -- like, I had a blast watching no-talent Dread Zeppelin at the old KSU stadium, because it was just fun.  But 311 sucked and they didn't realize it.

Other bad concert experiences:
1)  De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest @ KU Ballroom (2 of my favorites of ALL TIME, but it was a horrible set-up and it sounded like Radioshack speakers)
2)  Cake @ Highline Ballroom (walked off after 4 songs because people were taking pictures, wtf!  you ain't THAT big time)
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »
once they got the tech issues fixed at the De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest show, it was great. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
i saw danzig play at the bottleneck, it was incredible

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
once they got the tech issues fixed at the De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest show, it was great.

Oh.  It's possible I was drunk by that time.  (Another reason a show can suck.)   :frown:

Also, kinda weird that there only like 200-250(?) people at that show and we were two of them...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »

Yeah, 311 is an awful band.  There are lots of reasons a concert can suck, but the worst is if the band just blows.  Like 311.  Even then, you can pull it off if your band is having fun rather than trying to be "cool" -- like, I had a blast watching no-talent Dread Zeppelin at the old KSU stadium, because it was just fun.  But 311 sucked and they didn't realize it.

1)  De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest @ KU Ballroom (2 of my favorites of ALL TIME, but it was a horrible set-up and it sounded like Radioshack speakers)
2)  Cake @ Highline Ballroom (walked off after 4 songs because people were taking pictures, wtf!  you ain't THAT big time)

:flush: <---- GOSP's post not 311, ATCQ, or Cake. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »

Oh.  It's possible I was drunk by that time.  (Another reason a show can suck.)   :frown:

Also, kinda weird that there only like 200-250(?) people at that show and we were two of them...

i can't begin to tell you how much i love those two bands.  (truthfully i could but it would take too long). 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
Fat Elvis, Bill's Gambling Hall, Las Vegas, NV

:sdeek:  i'm wearing a bills gambling hall t-shirt at this very moment  :sdeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

I enjoyed my 311 concert but it wasn't great.  I was just at the point of getting past the 311 phase and getting into good music though.  I've wanted to see Cake (though pretty well past their prime), the walking off seems weird

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »

how did you come about owning such a fine piece of apparel?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »

I enjoyed my 311 concert but it wasn't great.  I was just at the point of getting past the 311 phase and getting into good music though.  I've wanted to see Cake (though pretty well past their prime), the walking off seems weird

Cake played last year at City Market right after the Joplin tornado and in between songs said the following: "Oh man, it's great to be in the midwest, where there's no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tsunamis, no natural disasters at all"

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
1-10.  every urge show
11.  less than jake/the decendents/guttermouth/22 jacks/bubble boys 1998 liberty hall
12.  weezer/some other band 1998 the granada
13.  less than jake 1999 the bottleneck
14.  311/2 skinnee j's early 2000's city market
15.  family values tour, korn/limp bizkit/rammstien/orgy/ice cube 1999?  kemper arena

cake was easily the worst band i've ever seen live(out of around 100+ shows), fwiw.  threatened to walk off because people were crowd surfing and taking pictures.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

how did you come about owning such a fine piece of apparel?

i have 3 actually.  2 whites, and 1 red.  they are very comfortable shirts.

and my mom bought them for me, that's where she stays in vegas, i haven't been back to vegas since it opened.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »

i can't begin to tell you how much i love those two bands.  (truthfully i could but it would take too long).

de la was the gobot version to the transformers tribe imo.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
Top 5 people I want to punch in the face for waking me up at 2:08 AM on a Monday morning so they can get into the house and start a stupid rough ridin' thread about concerts:

1-5: EMAWMeister

Thanks again, Kelly Klarkson Kreep!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
1.  Jason Boland & the Stragglers @ Knuckleheads, 2010
2.  Reckless Kelly, Diamond MO, 2010
3.  Incubus, City Market, 2007
4.  Jason Boland & the Stragglers/Turnpike Troubadours, Granada, 2011
5.  Reckless Kelly, The Wormy Dog Saloon, 2010

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
TOOL (anywhere)
My Morning Jacket (anywhere)
Widespread Panic (especially at Red Rocks)
RATM (reunion show at Coachella)
Goodie Mob with Andre Benjamin in McCain when I was fourteen

Split Lip's last few shows were amazing
Everyone should see the Flaming Lips once
RHCP are good but shows are somewhat uninspiring a little to over produced/corporate
Black Keys are awesome in small venues in large settings they are pretty meh
Old Crow Medicine Show is always a good time

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
What are they? (PS suck it Ron Prince's Goatee)  :dance:

1. OAR
2. Eric Church (KC)
3. OAR (KC again)
4. Eric Church (Topeka)
5. Something Corporate

This is assuming that local bands signed to major labels don't count.

Edit: Woof, great list, 'Meister.  :flush:

This list is gross.

OAR rough ridin' blows live I went to a show super pak'd and it sucked so bad I left.  Then later at a festival felt guilty that maybe I didn't give them a chance, they sucked so bad at the festival that I left and watched some less shitty euro DJamer.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »

311 puts on a good show. You guys are just too old. lol at transitioning into Cake as good music

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
311 puts on a good show. You guys are just too old.

lol