Author Topic: Chick-Fil-A  (Read 35236 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Chick-Fil-A
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
Bigot is not really a name-calling thing... more of applying the dictionary definition of a noun to a person who is acting in an according manner.
:adios:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Well, can you give one reason not related to being a bigot that a person could reasonably want the government to give gay people less rights than straight people?

Your and my definition of bigot is probably very different.  Mostly I think its ok to have religious convictions, and try to shape the culture around you, even my convictions aren't the same. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
Well, can you give one reason not related to being a bigot that a person could reasonably want the government to give gay people less rights than straight people?

Your and my definition of bigot is probably very different.  Mostly I think its ok to have religious convictions, and try to shape the culture around you, even my convictions aren't the same.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Definition of BIGOT
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »

Geez, than what on earth are we discussing?  If you shot down a Constitutional amendment we seem to be pretty eye-to-eye

Hate the name calling.  Hate it.  Hate the "he's a bigot!  he's hateful!" accusations made to anyone who disagrees with them.  It is so counter productive to shaping the opinions of others.  That was my original point.

Thanks, Dad, I'll keep that in mind.

However, if someone vocally opposes something like blacks voting, they aren't just disagreeing with me, they are racist. Why shouldn't I call these people racists?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »
people defending bigotry are awful

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »

Thanks, Dad, I'll keep that in mind.

However, if someone vocally opposes something like blacks voting, they aren't just disagreeing with me, they are racist. Why shouldn't I call these people racists?

Can't think of a reason. 

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong CF3 but I think what he's trying to say is that bullying people into believing the same thing as you is likely to be counterproductive and make people stick to their guns more, which is a valid point.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
And FTR, the Chik Fil A guy and company can say whatever on earth he wants.  And people who agree can go eat his food, and people who don't can avoid the place.  Or they can still go there because they like the food regardless of his anti-gay marriage position.  And the city of Boston or Chicago should have no role in treating their businesses differently. 
The mayors can do whatever they want.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

I don't call people who go to Church bigots. I call people who don't want gays to marry bigots.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »

There's also the chance they are opposed to the government being involved in ANY marriage or civil union, but I'm not sure those people really exist.

:thumbs:

Not sure those people exist on the anti-gay marriage front.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
And FTR, the Chik Fil A guy and company can say whatever on earth he wants.  And people who agree can go eat his food, and people who don't can avoid the place.  Or they can still go there because they like the food regardless of his anti-gay marriage position.  And the city of Boston or Chicago should have no role in treating their businesses differently. 

Kick all of the minorities out of town?

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong CF3 but I think what he's trying to say is that bullying people into believing the same thing as you is likely to be counterproductive and make people stick to their guns more, which is a valid point.

Yeah. It makes productive dialogue an impossibility. We've lost the ability to meet in the public square and have respectful conversations. It's either "you're a naive, hateful bigot" or "you're going to hell."

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

There's also the chance they are opposed to the government being involved in ANY marriage or civil union, but I'm not sure those people really exist.

c43 and i both think the government has no place in recognizing or not recognizing marriage. they should give every co-habitating couple the same legal rights and benefits imo. but churches need to have the right to choose to marry who they want/not want. there is no shortage of churches on either side.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »

Yeah. It makes productive dialogue an impossibility. We've lost the ability to meet in the public square and have respectful conversations. It's either "you're a naive, hateful bigot" or "you're going to hell."

There is no middle ground here. "Agreeing to disagree" leaves the naive, hateful bigot with access to marriage. The homosexual still can't marry.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

People (including many in this thread) have rationally articulated why those opposed to gay marriage are bigots.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »

c43 and i both think the government has no place in recognizing or not recognizing marriage. they should give every co-habitating couple the same legal rights and benefits imo. but churches need to have the right to choose to marry who they want/not want. there is no shortage of churches on either side.

Who is disagreeing with this?
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

There is no middle ground here. "Agreeing to disagree" leaves the naive, hateful bigot with access to marriage. The homosexual still can't marry.

Productive dialogue does not mean agree to disagree. As a christian, i (and c43) am definitely in the minority in wishing the government to stay out of defining "marriage" and grant equal rights to all couples regardless of gender. My hope is that the majority of christians stop trying to legislate christian faith/beliefs.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »

To be fair, I don't think we have ever had the ability to meet in the public square and have respectful conversations regarding civil rights issues. If anything, we have a much better ability to do so now than we did in the '60s, when a lot of people were outright militant with their beliefs.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »

This isn't true.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2012, 01:39:10 PM »

To be fair, I don't think we have ever had the ability to meet in the public square and have respectful conversations regarding civil rights issues. If anything, we have a much better ability to do so now than we did in the '60s, when a lot of people were outright militant with their beliefs.

yeah. fair point.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
Remember when B.O. was a BIGOT??????

All those people boycotting the democrat party????

Phony liberal partisan outrage is so disingenuous.  :zzz:

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »

People (including many in this thread) have rationally articulated why those opposed to gay marriage are bigots.

Saddening how many people don't know what the word "bigot" means.  This board is embarrassing.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

Saddening how many people don't know what the word "bigot" means.  This board is embarrassing.

the dictionary definition was actually posted in this thread.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »

the dictionary definition was actually posted in this thread.

shut up, bigot

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Thick skin is a trait that is in short supply these days.