Author Topic: Deep Thoughts: Pit Edition (Shower Thoughts OK, too)  (Read 638 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Deep Thoughts: Pit Edition (Shower Thoughts OK, too)
« on: February 20, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
“The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for:

they never make demands of you;

they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor;

they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct;

unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy;

unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare;

unlike immigrants, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that some people dislike;

they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and

when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn.

You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts: Pit Edition (Shower Thoughts OK, too)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 08:34:12 PM »
I believe that, as this point, the only way there’s even a chance of meaningful gun reform happening in this country is if certain lawmakers have loved ones killed in a mass shooting. And I don’t think any old Senator or congressperson would do, I think it would have to be one that is currently strongly championing maintaining the status quo when it comes to gun laws

FTR I’m not advocating for that to happen. I just don’t think there exists a threshold of violence that will be the final straw. Someone could go literally gun down every last patient in a children’s hospital and all that will do will cause more thoughts and prayers.

I suppose the other possible avenue would be a total overhaul of the Supreme Court and then they would have to decide to, for like pretty much the first time ever, provide an unambiguous interpretation of the 2nd amendment with a concrete definition of what all entails a “well regulated militia”

fwiw I think the chances of any of those things happening is pretty much nil.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 08:56:21 PM »
Agree with both of those. Unborn is easy cause they cannot talk or be advocated but by your own voice.

I am extremely pessimistic about guns and gun laws. No deep thought about it, it'll never change without wholly societal changes.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:59:31 AM »
States really just need to start passing BS right to sue laws like Texas did even when abortion was still a constitutional right.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 07:41:08 PM »
The Bible has been translated and re-translated a zillion times through the millennia, from dead languages, with books included and excluded by the whims of kings to suit their preferences…oh, and these tasks were carried out by people that were probably dumber than the dumbest person you know. Like really think about that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 10:25:05 PM »
No one ever said that we should stopping separating women when they are menstruating. It’s instructed in the Bible and we just stopped doing it. Why?!?!