Author Topic: government is responsible for all successful business  (Read 7905 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
government is responsible for all successful business
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:44 AM »
Hard work isn't enough to succeed, you need more government.  :dubious: 

President Barack Obama addressed supporters in Roanoke, Virginia on Saturday afternoon and took a shot at the business community. President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.  (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.  There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.  Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.  Somebody invested in roads and bridges.  If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.  Somebody else made that happen.  The Internet didn’t get invented on its own.  Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.  There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own.  I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service.  That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: government is responsible for all successful business
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »
God he's such a dictator.
EMAW

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »

President Barack Obama addressed supporters in Roanoke, Virginia on Saturday afternoon and took a shot at the business community. President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.  (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.  There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.  Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.  Somebody invested in roads and bridges.  If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.  Somebody else made that happen.  The Internet didn’t get invented on its own.  Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.  There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own.  I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service.  That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
I go out of my way to steer clear of opinionated political types, but it blows my mind how people are making a big deal about this quote.

He's making a standard, pretty elementary, argument against pure libertarianism.  Anyone with half a brain would subscribe to the basic argument against pure libertarianism.  He's not "attacking" business, he's citing the environment in which our version of capitalism can exist as a positive implication of the validity of his anti-pure libertarianism argument. 

He's saying that without all the common, general, benefits our society offers (infrastructure, education, etc), conducting business would be far more difficult.   I wouldn't have thought anyone would disagree, because to do so is absolutely stupid.

Further, to say that "President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success" is simply not true and irresponsible:

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
See?  "Individual initiative."  Right there.

I hate politics and people who do this so much.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:48:58 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:33 AM »
he's saying the internet is not yours and we need to control it.
EMAW

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:24:36 AM »

I go out of my way to steer clear of opinionated political types, but it blows my mind how people are making a big deal about this quote.

He's making a standard, pretty elementary, argument against pure libertarianism.  Anyone with half a brain would subscribe to the basic argument against pure libertarianism.  He's not "attacking" business, he's citing the environment in which our version of capitalism can exist as a positive implication of the validity of his anti-pure libertarianism argument. 

He's saying that without all the common, general, benefits our society offers (infrastructure, education, etc), conducting business would be far more difficult.   I wouldn't have thought anyone would disagree, because to do so is absolutely stupid.

Further, to say that "President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success" is simply not true and irresponsible:

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

You are not trying very hard to go out of your way.
I hate it when people make a statement like that and then try to defend some asinine comment made by an elected official.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »

So which is it? These two statements are absolutely contrary.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
didn't realize the government invented the internet.   :dunno:
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »

They've invented lots of stuff.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
people are making a big deal about it because it's amazing to have a sitting president say something so absurd and he still may win the election. Its hilarious and sad. Im just going to sit back and enjoy the band.

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
Why quote so much context if you just want to ignore it?  I'm no mind reader, but it seems pretty reasonable that "that" might refer to "this unbelievable American system that we have"  :dunno: 

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
people are making a big deal about it because it's amazing to have a sitting president say something so absurd and he still may win the election. Its hilarious and sad. Im just going to sit back and enjoy the band.

He "may still win the election" because we're expected to accept the lesser of two evils.  In this context, I can only assume the GOP simply doesn't care what anyone wants and to a certain extent, their interest are satisfied just as much if the incumbent stays in as oppose to their puppet getting in.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

He's talking about the general shared goods of our society, like roads, bridges, education.

I have no idea how this statement is at all controversial. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:32:37 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Pretty funny/great to see Dlew12 come in here and speak logically and have the Dunning-Kruger regulars have no idea how to react.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

Saying the govt created the internet is like saying the Wright bros invented the space shuttle.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
great post dlew.  i hate the people that become intentionally stupid as a debating tactic too.   although some of the responses to your post suggest that it may not always be intentional.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I like to be able to fire people.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
great post dlew.  i hate the people that become intentionally stupid as a debating tactic too.   although some of the responses to your post suggest that it may not always be intentional.

:thumbs:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
[quoted :weirdrobert: author=Dlew12 link=topic=21714.msg560062#msg560062 date=1342456100]

He's talking about the general shared goods of our society, like roads, bridges, education.

I have no idea how this statement is at all controversial.
[/quote]

Why do you feel the need to take B.O. out of context here.  That's not at all what he's saying.

Weird how you came full circle from your snotty self righteous little rant. Hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
boy, dlew really buttfucked all the haters here.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
Why do you feel the need to take B.O. out of context here.  That's not at all what he's saying.

Weird how you came full circle from your snotty self righteous little rant. Hypocrite

I do not think I took him out of context.  I'm genuinely confused. 

If what he's saying isn't what I believe it was, I'd be interested to hear (1) what you think he was saying, (2) why he was saying it, (3) why he contradicted himself 3 sentences after he said it and (4) whether or not his apparent argument was in his self interest, . 

Secondly, I'm not a hypocrite.  Participating in something I dislike, because I feel compelled to do so, doesn't make me a hypocrite.  I believe everyone that regularly participates in "discussions" (and I use that word extremely loosely) like the one we're having is prone to polarity, which I think we can all agree, is dangerous.  So it's important to keep that in mind when we do it.

I don't believe my argument was snotty or self-righteous, but I regret if it came across that way.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

I do not think I took him out of context.  I'm genuinely confused. 

If what he's saying isn't what I believe it was, I'd be interested to hear (1) what you think he was saying, (2) why he was saying it, (3) why he contradicted himself 3 sentences after he said it and (4) whether or not his apparent argument was in his self interest, . 

Secondly, I'm not a hypocrite.  Participating in something I dislike, because I feel compelled to do so, doesn't make me a hypocrite.  I believe everyone that regularly participates in "discussions" (and I use that word extremely loosely) like the one we're having is prone to polarity, which I think we can all agree, is dangerous.  So it's important to keep that in mind when we do it.

I don't believe my argument was snotty or self-righteous, but I regret if it came across that way.

don't apolgize to him.   :dubious:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
You remember Neo in The Matrix? That's Dlew12 in The Dunning-Kruger Dome.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
I don't entirely disagree with your assessment of the quote, but I believe there's a bit I social engineering at play here.  There's a sneaky little chess move with the below portion of the quote:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. 

It presents an ultimatum that if you're wealthy, you want to give back and if you don't want to, you're greedy i.e. a bad person.  Leaving liberals with the opening to call anyone who disagrees with obama's policy as greedy sob's that don't care about anyone, including the people that got them where they are.  The best response to this entire quote, IMO, is to ask why is it necessary for the government facilitate giving back? If the wealthy want to give back, they will.  And by the virtue of giving, some will derive pleasure from this act.  Allowing a government to force this transaction morally robs people from the pleasure they would receive just as much as it financially robs those who are not willing to give back.

In summary, I disagree with general sentiments of his statement.  True innovators work within the environment they're in and to say they deserve no credit is preposterous.  Indeed Ford would never have invented the mass produced vehicle without the invention of the wheel, But to suggest Ford deserves no credit because they didn't also invent the wheel leads me to ask who are the true innovators?  Government would not have "invented the Internet" (what a joke btw) without first inventing electricity.  Electricity would not have been invented without the copper wire; and so on.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
The point I forgot to make as well, comparing emergency services like fire and police response to portions of government that COULD be privatized and run much more efficiently is also ridiculous and doesn't belong in any discussion on a federal level.  If a city wants to provide that service, they can.  If a state wants to provide roads and highways to facilitate commerce and drive taxes at a local level, they can.  But I live in Kansas because I don't agree with some of the tax spending in states like California. Federal discussions on everything he stated above makes people think we're one step closer to a one world government, which is why it's to be expected to see such outrage of such discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using DealWithItBitches.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
the most frustrating thing about being a liberal is being called a socialist for anything you say. I think most liberals would agree that 90% of things that should be for profit motives. But there are things that just don't work as a for profit motive, healthcare, education, public works etc. The pure free market struggles to fix externalities, pollution for example.