Author Topic: USA Basketball  (Read 26939 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
USA Basketball
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »
I really like watching it.  Do you guys want to talk about it?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
USA Basketball
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »
Blake :(

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: USA Basketball
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »
this team would murder the "dream team".  could pick their score. 

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »
Most of the "dream team" is in their 50s and very fat.  Wouldn't be a contest.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Most of the "dream team" is in their 50s and very fat.  Wouldn't be a contest.

damn.  burned me good here. 

EDIT:  this team would murder the "dream team" if they were time machined from their olympic year into the present and they played...or the current team was time machined to the past and they played....or a best of 7 series present/past and the old "dream team" could be home team.  could pick their score.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
But what if the dream team were teleported to the future as fetuses and grew up in the same age of basketball and athletic training as the current team?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
But what if the dream team were teleported to the future as fetuses and grew up in the same age of basketball and athletic training as the current team?

nope, much better athletes on the current team

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
I don't know. Kobe is well past his prime. They are very comparable, actually.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
Everyone on the the 92 team except one are in the hall of fame. Definitely can't say 11 out of the 12 on this team are.

Back on topic, I love watching it too. Nothing like some nationalism mixed in with sports. AMERICA!

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
Everyone on the the 92 team except one are in the hall of fame. Definitely can't say 11 out of the 12 on this team are.

:cyclist:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »

Back on topic, I love watching it too. Nothing like some nationalism mixed in with sports. AMERICA!

there isn't a current member of the hall of fame that could, in their prime, guard kobe.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »

That's true, but Larry Bird had a bad back and Magic Johnson had bad knees. Still, they had Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, and Robinson in their prime. This year's team is more athletic, but I don't think they are as good at fundamental basketball. It would be a heck of a matchup.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
this is gonna be a fun time.

btw, this team would beat the dream team pretty easily. who on the dream team could compete with Lebron, Durant and Kobe. Not to mention this teams pg play is leaps and bounds better than the dream team. the more I look at it, the more I think it wouldn't even be close.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

there isn't a current member of the hall of fame that could, in their prime, guard kobe.

Kobe is washed up and over the hill. I would agree if we were having this discussion 4 years ago.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
If you picked a 12 man team from the members of the two teams it would consist of 8 players from this years team and 4 from the dream team. Therefore, the 2012 team is twice as good as the Dream Team. Fact.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
If you picked a 12 man team from the members of the two teams it would consist of 8 players from this years team and 4 from the dream team. Therefore, the 2012 team is twice as good as the Dream Team. Fact.

If I were picking a 12 man team from members of the Heat and Thunder, I would pick more Thunder players than Heat players, but the Heat were obviously the better team.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »

I would pick a team entirely made up of current members and feel confident we would beat your 8/4 ratio team. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

Kobe is washed up and over the hill. I would agree if we were having this discussion 4 years ago.

exactly, he would brutalize everyone on that team even more if he was in his prime.  current kobe could not be stopped by "in their prime" anyone from that team. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »
I mean, Michael Jordan in his prime would probably be the 15th or 16th best current NBA player. 

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »

or durant, westbrook, lebron, chris paul...

as careful as stockton was with the ball, and as great as he was at taking it away, chris paul would break his ankles, westbrook would blow past him (probably give up a decent amount of turnovers). lol if you think an older magic could guard  deron williams, cp3 or russel. the match up's are just not in the dream teams favor.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »

I would pick a team entirely made up of current members and feel confident we would beat your 8/4 ratio team.

This team is infinity better? That is what the math would say.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »

You can't have 12 players on the court at one time dumbass.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
:lol: Yeah WTF was Christian Laettner doing on that team?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

NOPE.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
I would take

Jordan
James
Durant
Ewing
Paul