Author Topic: USA Basketball  (Read 26940 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: USA Basketball
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
I would take

Jordan
James
Durant
Ewing
Paul
Carmelo
Malone
Westbrook
Kobe
Harden
Love
Stockton

Why are you taking golfers on your bball team?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
I'm actually pretty positive the current Thunder or Heat teams would beat the original "dream team" 4 out of 5 times. 

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »
A lot of talk about how the the dream team would dominate the paint.

Just for comparison:

David Robinson: 7'1" at 235 lbs
Patrick Ewing: 7'0" at 240 lbs
Sir Charles: 6'6" at 250 lbs (fat)
Karl Malone: 6'9 at 255 lbs (husky)
Scotty Pippen: 6'7" at 210 lbs
Christian Laettner: 6'11 at 235 (LOL)

vs.

Lebron James: 6'8" at 250 lbs
Kevin Love: 6'10 at 260 lbs
Kevin Durant: 6'9 at 235 lbs
Tyson Chandler: 7'1 at 240 lbs
Carmelo Anthony: 6'8 at 230 lbs (chubby)
Anthony Davis: 6'10" at 220 lbs (18 yrs old).

The size of the forwards on the 2012 team is just overwhelming. Paired with their athleticism, it's just not even fair.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
Everyone on the the 92 team except one are in the hall of fame. Definitely can't say 11 out of the 12 on this team are.

Back on topic, I love watching it too. Nothing like some nationalism mixed in with sports. AMERICA!

there isn't a current member of the hall of fame that could, in their prime, guard kobe.

or durant, westbrook, lebron, chris paul...

as careful as stockton was with the ball, and as great as he was at taking it away, chris paul would break his ankles, westbrook would blow past him (probably give up a decent amount of turnovers). lol if you think an older magic could guard  deron williams, cp3 or russel. the match up's are just not in the dream teams favor.

I think Ewing and Malone would be a difficult matchup for the bigs on Team USA 2012, Ewing especially.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
Everyone on the the 92 team except one are in the hall of fame. Definitely can't say 11 out of the 12 on this team are.

Back on topic, I love watching it too. Nothing like some nationalism mixed in with sports. AMERICA!

there isn't a current member of the hall of fame that could, in their prime, guard kobe.

as careful as stockton was with the ball, and as great as he was at taking it away, chris paul would break his ankles, westbrook would blow past him (probably give up a decent amount of turnovers). lol if you think an older magic could guard  deron williams, cp3 or russel. the match up's are just not in the dream teams favor.

I think Ewing and Malone would be a difficult matchup for the bigs on Team USA 2012, Ewing especially.

See my above post. A husky Malone could not in any way shape or form keep up with Lebron James. Maybe he could compete against Kevin Love. MAYBE.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »

See my above post. A husky Malone could not in any way shape or form keep up with Lebron James. Maybe he could compete against Kevin Love. MAYBE.

I think Love and Malone are pretty comparable, actually. Ewing was better than any of the 7 footers on this year's team. You also have old Kobe guarding young Jordan. The two teams match up very well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
picture the greatest michael jordan, charles barkley, karl malone, larry bird, magic johnson plays in your mind.  those plays happen multiple times in every NBA game today.  players have just committed themselves to being better than they did back then.  this is before even considering that today's player is a vastly superior athlete. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
picture the greatest michael jordan, charles barkley, karl malone, larry bird, magic johnson plays in your mind.  those plays happen multiple times in every NBA game today.  players have just committed themselves to being better than they did back then.  this is before even considering that today's player is a vastly superior athlete.

This is true.

OH MAN MAGIC JOHNSON DIDN'T LOOK IN THE DIRECTION IN WHICH HE THREW THE PASS OMG AMAZING! 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »

Today's NBA is much better, no doubt. That doesn't mean that 29 year old Michael Jordan could not crack the roster of Team USA, though. We wasn't as good as he was after his first retirement, but he would still be an elite player today.

Magic and Bird wouldn't even be all stars, though. I will give you that.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »
I love the 1992 Dream Team, but anyone who doesn't think the level of talent and athleticism in today's NBA has gone way up in the last 20 years, well then there's just no hope for those people.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
Need to shoot better than they did against Brazil. Size inside won't matter nearly as much as everyone thinks.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
2012 Brazil would beat the Dream Team in a best of 7.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
2012 Brazil would beat the Dream Team in a best of 7.

Dream Team wins in 5.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
When I'm down, I like to think about Larry Bird trying to guard Kevin Durant or maybe trying to close out Lebron on the perimeter or run with Carmelo in transition, and it always brings a smile to my face.

Also, it's fun to see my friends get older and start to get all Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) about Jordan the way my dad was about Bird/Magic.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
When I'm down, I like to think about Larry Bird trying to guard Kevin Durant or maybe trying to close out Lebron on the perimeter or run with Carmelo in transition, and it always brings a smile to my face.

Also, it's fun to see my friends get older and start to get all Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) about Jordan the way my dad was about Bird/Magic.

I don't think Bird would actually get many minutes in that game, though. He was the worst player on that team.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »
Just imagine Bird at any age trying to guard any forward on the current USA team. It's a good time. Trust me.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 12:24:38 AM »
Bird was basically dead by 1992, he barely played.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 12:31:44 AM »
The current dream team would make Bird/Magic (at any age) look like a bunch of Jenny Craig trainees in snowshoes trying to take a tennis ball away from a Dalmatian.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
The current dream team would make Bird/Magic (at any age) look like a bunch of Jenny Craig trainees in snowshoes trying to take a tennis ball away from a Dalmatian.

I agree, but I don't think they are much better, or even quite as good as the rest of the team. You are singling out the two worst players on the team who were only selected to appease the NBA tucks (who no longer exist, btw) and would have never played, only that team won all of their games by about 50.

I think a best of 7 series goes 7 games, and the 2012 team probably wins because they don't have geriatric players assigned to the bench.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »

I agree, but I don't think they are much better, or even quite as good as the rest of the team. You are singling out the two worst players on the team who were only selected to appease the NBA tucks (who no longer exist, btw) and would have never played, only that team won all of their games by about 50.

I think a best of 7 series goes 7 games, and the 2012 team probably wins because they don't have geriatric players assigned to the bench.

how many times does he have to explain this.  he's not saying bird/magic during the dream team years.  he's saying them each in their prime.  Felix is specifying that Magic/Bird IN THEIR PRIME NOT DURING THE DREAM TEAM ERA would look hilariously awful against the current crop of NBA players.  I would personally take it further and add that Michael Jordan IN HIS PRIME or anyone else on the original dream team IN THEIR PRIME would look bad against the current best of the NBA.  ie. a currently aging Kobe well past his prime would dominate a Michael Jordan in his prime. 

Offline bigwilliesock

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
Jesus mother rough ridin' christ this thread is full of rough ridin' dumbshit.  This years team barely beat rough ridin' Brazil and now they're gonna walk all over the dream team?  I can see why we don't deserve good basketball here, you mother rough ridin' morons don't even know what good basketball is you dumb rough ridin' piece of crap moronic faggots

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »
Jesus mother rough ridin' christ this thread is full of rough ridin' dumbshit.  This years team barely beat rough ridin' Brazil and now they're gonna walk all over the dream team?  I can see why we don't deserve good basketball here, you mother rough ridin' morons don't even know what good basketball is you dumb rough ridin' piece of crap moronic faggots

this years Brazil team would beat the original dream team pretty bad.  when the original dream team was around one country cared about basketball.  now it's become an international game. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
If any of the current #15-#30 best NBA players had played in the 80s/90s they would currently be seen (by dumbasses) as the greatest basketball player to ever play the game and people would be saying that nobody could ever surpass them. Their complete domination of the 80s/90s era players would make them seem much better then they actually were.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
If any of the current #15-#30 best NBA players had played in the 80s/90s they would currently be seen (by dumbasses) as the greatest basketball player to ever play the game and people would be saying that nobody could ever surpass them. Their complete domination of the 80s/90s era players would make them seem much better then they actually were.

Isiah Thomas and Bill Lambier....  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
BILL WALTON  :lol: