Author Topic: Harvard of the Plains is trying to kill their football program  (Read 11319 times)

Offline nohighfives

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard of the Plains is trying to kill their football program
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Did you read the last line?

Students who don't meet the automatic qualifications could still be admitted by a review committee that would consider several other factors.

This one,

Love to see the NCAA rule that Dumb Jock is an okay reason to let a student into a school while others non-jock students can't with same grades. This will also hurt there BBall program as well. Bernadette Gray-Little does not like sports and would love to see Memorial torn down from a new library or something.

The NCAA allows schools across the nation to enroll athletes at lower standards than other students. As long as the athletes meet the standards set by the NCAA, KU can admit them.

I just think it's odd that a school that's worried about declining enrollment numbers is looking to decline those numbers further.

Are they concerned? This is just a way for them to legitimize the reason they have smaller enrollment numbers; "We may have less students, but they're higher quality." KU can't win the enrollment battle, so why try--we'll raise standards and if we don't get our students, then we didn't want them anyway. They chose to give up.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/sep/27/ku-officials-say-theyre-concerned-about-declining-/

You try being a university administrator getting your ass kicked by 'little brother,' and see what you'd tell your hometown newspaper. KU can't win, because they can't change the culture. They hired two K-State admissions alums to try and change the culture, and it just won't happen. This is a way to spin it--and allows them to perpetuate their "flagship institution" crap.

Offline nohighfives

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Looking at KSU's ACT scores for 2011, 75% of incoming Freshman scored a 22 or above, so I suspect if the numbers went to 24 than about the same % as ku, 65% would automatically be admitted.   The old sliding GPA/ACT score chart is a favorite of many public universities, so at the end of the day, it won't impact enrollment all that much, essentially weeding out the bottom 8-10%.   If K-State had not admitted the bottom 8% that scored 19 or less, than that pushes K-State's average ACT into the 26 range, and overall academic wonk perception of K-State goes up.

The Animal is eyeing the same thing.

http://www.k-state.edu/chats/fall-2011-student-chat-president-schulz/

Andrew Wagner asks: Recently the Board of Regents made changes to the enrollment requirements for Kansas schools. Does K-State plan increase our own requirements above and beyond the set standards to reach the goal of the 2025 visionary plan?

KIRK SCHULZ Presently, we have no intention of changing the admission requirements at Kansas State University. I believe we want K-State to "be easy to get into - but hard to get out of" - so that we give students a chance who want to come and work hard and have great opportunity.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »
Looking at KSU's ACT scores for 2011, 75% of incoming Freshman scored a 22 or above, so I suspect if the numbers went to 24 than about the same % as ku, 65% would automatically be admitted.   The old sliding GPA/ACT score chart is a favorite of many public universities, so at the end of the day, it won't impact enrollment all that much, essentially weeding out the bottom 8-10%.   If K-State had not admitted the bottom 8% that scored 19 or less, than that pushes K-State's average ACT into the 26 range, and overall academic wonk perception of K-State goes up.

Andrew Wagner asks: Recently the Board of Regents made changes to the enrollment requirements for Kansas schools. Does K-State plan increase our own requirements above and beyond the set standards to reach the goal of the 2025 visionary plan?

KIRK SCHULZ Presently, ]. I believe we want K-State to "be easy to get into - but hard to get out of" - so that we give students a chance who want to come and work hard and have great opportunity.
my dad says the same thing about farming............. :bang:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »

KIRK SCHULZ Presently, ]. I believe we want K-State to "be easy to get into - but hard to get out of" - so that we give students a chance who want to come and work hard and have great opportunity.

Really? Farming seems like it would be pretty hard to get into to me.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
It appears the Animal has been Bosco'd.

Looking at the numbers, K-State's 27-36 ACT score enrollment numbers are increasing (now accounting for 1/3 of incoming Freshman).   If The Animal wants to get to his 2025 vision than than the 19 or less ACT range is going to have get whacked significantly . . . but that's only about 200 enrollee's, then the 19-21 gets a hair cut, and the 22-24 gets a little trim.   Once you go through the special cases and sob stories, using historical numbers, you whack maybe 10%, but you increase perception.

Just sayin

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
KIRK SCHULZ Presently, we have no intention of changing the admission requirements at Kansas State University. I believe we want K-State to "be easy to get into - but hard to get out of" - so that we give students a chance who want to come and work hard and have great opportunity.
Cool.  I want k-state to be defined that way also.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »

Really? Farming seems like it would be pretty hard to get into to me.
he's 64 and has been trying to down size for 4 or 5 years.......with no luck, really...............as far as getting into........looking in the rear view mirror, it prolly seemed easier than it really was to sign those initial notes .. :gocho:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
you know what's hard to get into?  farming

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »
Does ku do anything but hire KSU people?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »

smell up the place

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »

Yeah, KU and Texas come to KSU for leadership role players.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Great news. 

:love:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
Great news. 

You're for a decrease in enrollment and revenue? Weird.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Great news. 

You're for a decrease in enrollment and revenue? Weird.

How many fallacies of logical reasoning does it take to reach that conclusion? 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
The University of Texas has higher admission requirements than just about every other school in the state, and they have one of the highest enrollments in the country, along with an incredible athletic program.  As for revenue, Northwestern's endowment is over $7.2 billion. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
The University of Texas has higher admission requirements than just about every other school in the state, and they have one of the highest enrollments in the country, along with an incredible athletic program.  As for revenue, Northwestern's endowment is over $7.2 billion.
They also have a lot more students that want to attend there. This does not hold suit for KU. Kstate had a larger enrollment than you guys this year, and it's not looking much better for you guys next year.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
LOL at the thought of you comparing KU to Texas/Northwestern in the first place.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
This is an act. Right now with the new BOR admission standards, I believe up to %10 of an incoming class can be admitted without meeting any standards. Nothing will change at KU, this just paints it as a semi competitive school which is much needed as they cling to their AAU status. You would probably have to be a world class eff up to graduate from a Kansas high school and not get in.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
They also have a lot more students that want to attend there. This does not hold suit for KU. Kstate had a larger enrollment than you guys this year, and it's not looking much better for you guys next year.

Not true.  Just wrong on so many levels.  KU's enrollment is still well over 28,000 after reaching a peak of 30,000+ in 2008.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
LOL at the thought of you comparing KU to Texas/Northwestern in the first place.

You just don't get it, butthurt boy. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
They are projecting record on campus enrollment at K-State.   Its not going to hurt them one bit to raise the standards a little.  Like I said, when the smoke clears its going to weed out a relatively small group of applicants.   

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
I work in enrollment. I understand how this works, Ben. Your enrollment is decreasing: http://www.news.ku.edu/2011/september/27/enroll.shtml. I was wrong on total number of students with the Kstate VS KU comparo, but Kstate still had a record high fall.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:29:59 PM by fanningksu »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
Enrollment decreased after reaching a peak of 30,000+ in 2008.  It's still much higher than K-State's.  Like 'Pad pointed out, raising admissions standards won't hurt enrollment.  It could even attract more in-state and out of state students, and it should improve the university's academic standing.  Johnson County Community College's enrollment is increasing as well, fanning.  Big deal. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
If enrollment increasing or decreasting wasn't a big deal, than ku officials wouldn't be falling all over themselves in the last year or so trying to explain why ku's enrollment is falling.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
If enrollment increasing or decreasting wasn't a big deal, than ku officials wouldn't be falling all over themselves in the last year or so trying to explain why ku's enrollment is falling.

It's not rocket science.  Negative publicity from the ticket scandal and constant bashing from the KC Star.  Plus, there are more K-State alums these days thanks to the huge boost in enrollment that occurred after Snyder revived the football program.  Those alums' kids are graduating high school and going to K-State.