Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Welcome Michael Orris to K-State thread!  (Read 45541 times)

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL: Welcome Michael Orris to K-State thread!
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
I know not every recruit is going to be a star. My expectations for an incoming guard is to rest Angel some this year and be a decent starter after playing behind Angel for 3.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
I just don't like that he calls himself a "pass first" guard because I consider "pass first" to be code for "sucky". I mean, everyone I know that is a pass first guard at the Y is usually pure garbage offensively.

but what if he passes the ball really well, isn't that a good thing?  it is imo. 
phil pressey  :love:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »
I know not every recruit is going to be a star. My expectations for an incoming guard is to rest Angel some this year and be a decent starter after playing behind Angel for 3.

My expectation is that we recruit a new good point guard going into Angel's senior season so he gets to play behind Angel his freshman year and then be a good point guard for us the next three years while the crappy spring recruit we just signed stays on the bench.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
Is it an absolute fact that Gray is going to qualify?   No red flags with #teambutthurt that he chose Texas Tech? 

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Is it an absolute fact that Gray is going to qualify?   No red flags with #teambutthurt that he chose Texas Tech? 

I'm assuming he doesn't qualify. Will be totally butthurt if he does

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
I just don't like that he calls himself a "pass first" guard because I consider "pass first" to be code for "sucky". I mean, everyone I know that is a pass first guard at the Y is usually pure garbage offensively.

but what if he passes the ball really well, isn't that a good thing?  it is imo. 

meh

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

meh

what about a poor man's peyton siva :love:

pass first!  fist pump second!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »

Couldn't care less, Tech would be more damaged by him not qualifying than we would be and it doesn't seem to be an issue for BCG.  Also I didn't see one thing about Gray and potential qualification before Gray told the world that oscar wouldn't call him back.  Could this be another case of character assassination after the fact by the Currieites?  Tech doesn't seem to think he will have an issue qualifying, they just ran off another guard last week.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »

Couldn't care less, Tech would be more damaged by him not qualifying than we would be and it doesn't seem to be an issue for BCG.  Also I didn't see one thing about Gray and potential qualification before Gray told the world that oscar wouldn't call him back.  Could this be another case of character assassination after the fact by the Currieites?  Tech doesn't seem to think he will have an issue qualifying, they just ran off another guard last week.

I don't think anyone is trying to assasinate Gray's character.  I wonder about his qualifying and not because I know a damn thing about his academics. He is a pretty high level recruit and it seems odd we and other schools weren't hard after him.  Especially when people are trying to fill holes in the late period

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

Bossi is a bagman for Currie now?  :sdeek:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Would rather have Gray, no question. 

But, if he is seriously a qualifying risk, Orris was definately a smart move.  We desperately need a backup point guard.  I hope Angel takes 30+ mpg this season, but when he's not on the floor, we don't have anybody who can run point.  Maybe Jones?  Irving and Sprad are ineffective. 

Orris looks to be a perfectly capable backup PG.  Certainly hope BW isn't envisioning him as being anything more than that, though.     

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
sprads looked like a perfectly capable backup pg out of high school. Not sure why anyone thinks this guy will be better than sprads other than the extra point on the ESPN rating.

we were really in a good position to take a risk on a qualifying....risk.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »

Bossi is a bagman for Currie now?  :sdeek:

Two things; Bossi's note came after Gray told everyone that Weber didn't call back the week of his scheduled visit and after he committed to Tech.  Secondly, when I said Currieites I meant tucks, but didn't want to say tucks.  You know the same people who would have blown Frank after the USM game but acted like he was the anti-christ a week later.  I could be wrong but I really don't think John Currie or the department is floating all of this BS out there and I certainly don't think they floated that Gray is a qualification risk.  Like I said I do find it interesting that he became a qualification risk the second he committed to Tech and told everyone that Weber didn't call him back.  Don't know who Bossi's source with that note, but I'm very comfortable thinking that it wasn't anyone from Gray's camp or Tech.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
sprads looked like a perfectly capable backup pg out of high school. Not sure why anyone thinks this guy will be better than sprads other than the extra point on the ESPN rating.

Yea, I feel like qualifying risks should be more of a recruiting emphasis for us.  We should've spend the 'Te money on a big department of lawyers specializing in that crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »

Yes we have plenty of guards on the roster, we're replacing a forward with another guard.  Tech needs guards.  This is why I don't but the qualifying risk angle.  I'm sure its just because I hate Weber and want Frank back though.  Its not possible to rationally question anything Weber has done without it being about the last guy.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Best thing about Orris and not being flashy is he won't scare off a pg recruit in 2013, where the odds of Gray would be higher. In the Ideal world you have your program point guard staggered by two year periods.

Back up pg 2010 - Sprads
Main pg 2011 - Angel
Back up pg 2012 - Orris
Future Main pg 2013 -  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
The public talking point about the Spradling family anger was that he wanted to play PG.  How will he act and reconcile the fact that he is now the 3rd point guard?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »

Yes we have plenty of guards on the roster, we're replacing a forward with another guard.  Tech needs guards.  This is why I don't but the qualifying risk angle.  I'm sure its just because I hate Weber and want Frank back though.  Its not possible to rationally question anything Weber has done without it being about the last guy.

yeah, im sure the qualifyiing risk wasn't the determining factor. Weber has watched Orris play, recruited him a while. Obviously has a relationship with him. Should Weber have never recruited him way back when? maybe. But it makes sense why he is now coming to ksu over Gray.  I don't agree with it and would rather have Gray...but i don't blame Weber for doing it. (wish he would at least return a phone call though, if that story is legit.)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:27 PM »
The public talking point about the Spradling family anger was that he wanted to play PG.  How will he act and reconcile the fact that he is now the 3rd point guard?

Was that the latest?  Because when I talked to one of his former AAU coaches his Frosh year he was a SG.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »

Sprads should be the staring 2 unless Shane can Jump him (unlikely), But should get a rest earlier than Angle so he can come in and play back up PG instead of playing 35 minutes like last year.  Orris will only play mop up minutes, he will be behind Angle, Sprads, Shane, tay, and Jones.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
I thought the official stance of the Sprad family was the he didn't want to be locked in a house by the coach and then have said house set ablaze by said coach.   

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
I thought the official stance of the Sprad family was the he didn't want to be locked in a house by the coach and then have said house set ablaze by said coach.   

I don't think I've ever heard of this being the concern of a good player.  Maybe they are struggling to properly assess the blame

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

yeah, im sure the qualifyiing risk wasn't the determining factor. Weber has watched Orris play, recruited him a while. Obviously has a relationship with him. Should Weber have never recruited him way back when? maybe. But it makes sense why he is now coming to ksu over Gray.  I don't agree with it and would rather have Gray...but i don't blame Weber for doing it. (wish he would at least return a phone call though, if that story is legit.)

I would have trouble with any coach sticking with a player just because you've recruited him for a while when a better option is available.  I would understand that if Weber was still at Illinois.  Weber had no binding offer to Orris at Kansas State.  I'm deathly afraid that you're 100% correct and Weber kept Orris because he was the familiar and comfortable choice.  That's damning if so.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »

I would have trouble with any coach sticking with a player just because you've recruited him for a while when a better option is available.  I would understand that if Weber was still at Illinois.  Weber had no binding offer to Orris at Kansas State.  I'm deathly afraid that you're 100% correct and Weber kept Orris because he was the familiar and comfortable choice.  That's damning if so.

Saw earlier today that Moose is following Frank to SC...are their fans upset about it i wonder?
- chunkles

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
Saw earlier today that Moose is following Frank to SC...are their fans upset about it i wonder?

they are pumped about everything frank does.