Author Topic: RIP Junior Seau  (Read 4839 times)

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
RIP Junior Seau
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
Being reported he committed suicide. Sad.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Junior Seau
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Meanwhile, at ESPN:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
A fate many more former nfl players will suffer for the same exact reason
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
Say Ow

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
Gunshot wound to the chest.  Another NFL'er (can't remember who) also shot himself in the chest a few years ago so that his brain could be used for concussion research.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
i can't feel sorry for people who kill themselves. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »

you can feel sorry for their families.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »

absolutely.  although they probably should have intervened and made sure he got medical help if he was severely depressed.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

absolutely.  although they probably should have intervened and made sure he got medical help if he was severely depressed.

They can, but who is to say whether or not they knew about this?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »

you do realize that there are more than likely chemical elements at play here, caused by the excessive head trauma of playing in the NFL? as in, something fundamentally wrong with how his brain was functioning...

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
A couple of years ago he drove his SUV off a cliff onto the beach. He said he was drunk and fell asleep, but looking back, it seems like he was probably trying to kill himself since he was parked before going over.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
A couple of years ago he drove his SUV off a cliff onto the beach. He said he was drunk and fell asleep, but looking back, it seems like he was probably trying to kill himself since he was parked before going over.

had the same thought

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »

you do realize that there are more than likely chemical elements at play here, caused by the excessive head trauma of playing in the NFL? as in, something fundamentally wrong with how his brain was functioning...

Obviously.  Although unless he has spent his post-retirement life in hiding from his family and friends, they should have been able to notice signs of something wrong and gotten him medical help. 

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »

Whatever you say Chris Benoit.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
Anybody else find it increadibly ironic that this happened the same day Goddell handed down the player suspensions for bountygate?

Offline scoops callahan

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »
Did you see the interview with his mom? Shits so sad, she didnt even get a text... Prayers to the fam.
#LIFE

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »
Seau stuff on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/health/seau-brain-disease/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Star NFL linebacker Junior Seau -- just 43 years old when he took his own life last May -- suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative brain disease that can follow multiple hits to the head, the National Institutes of Health said Thursday.

No surprise here.

Dr. Ann McKee, the director of neuropathology at VA Boston, who was not involved in this case, has looked at CTE in most of the NFL players' brains studied so far. In a recent study she co-authored, the researchers found CTE in the brains of 34 of 35 NFL players.

Wow, on the 34 out of 35.  So, this is definitive to the point where the league can't ignore this forever.  Something is going to change.  I mean, what guarantees that to me is:

What may be a surprise to some is that Seau was never diagnosed with a concussion in all the decades he played football.

I wouldn't think that the NFL could lean on their concussion rules for much longer.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
So is it time for the NFL to just go away?

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
Well boys, enjoy watching football while you can. 30 years from now you'll all be soccer fans!!!  :excited:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
this sucks. i love football and don't want anything to happen to it, but.....man.  :frown:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
Well boys, enjoy watching football while you can. 30 years from now you'll all be soccer fans!!!  :excited:

Nope, studies out this summer say that soccer is just as bad.  I remember hearing an NPR deal this summer that said a lot of Youth teams and some minor leagues are already limiting the amount of headers in practice.

The soccer studies said that the hard hits aren't the ones that get the athletes.  It's the repeated smaller ones that happen over and over and over, like headers. 

There was talk this summer in the NFL about one solution to help minimize it amongst linemen is to eliminate the down stance and make them all start standing to help eliminate the repeated small contact on their helmets.

Obvs there is a bunch that we don't know about this, but given the frequency it is coming up, the large emphasis put on it, as well as the emphasis of sports amongst youth these days, you gotta think that we are on the threshold of some major effort to better understand this and react to it.

Something is going to change.  Maybe not at the NFL level, but I would bet heavily that it will on the HS and younger crowd very soon.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

Nope, studies out this summer say that soccer is just as bad.  I remember hearing an NPR deal this summer that said a lot of Youth teams and some minor leagues are already limiting the amount of headers in practice.

The soccer studies said that the hard hits aren't the ones that get the athletes.  It's the repeated smaller ones that happen over and over and over, like headers. 

There was talk this summer in the NFL about one solution to help minimize it amongst linemen is to eliminate the down stance and make them all start standing to help eliminate the repeated small contact on their helmets.

Obvs there is a bunch that we don't know about this, but given the frequency it is coming up, the large emphasis put on it, as well as the emphasis of sports amongst youth these days, you gotta think that we are on the threshold of some major effort to better understand this and react to it.

Something is going to change.  Maybe not at the NFL level, but I would bet heavily that it will on the HS and younger crowd very soon.

soccer being harder on the brain is malarkey.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
I would like to see a study on head trauma suffered by people who just play in high school and college. I would think that the people who hang up their cleats after just a few years of playing are in far better shape than those who make a career out of it. I really don't care as much about professional football and soccer going away as I would about amateur football and soccer.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »

soccer being harder on the brain is malarkey.

Not harder on the brain, but equally as bad. 

Repeated small movements of the brain in the head is what that soccer study noted.  I would assume if you look at it by posision rather than simply by sport, there would be a difference by position.  Linemen vs punter, midfielder vs goalie, etc. 

All that said, I haven't heard of a soccer player killing themselves and ending up having this diagnosis. 

I do know that it seems both sports are looking at this pretty hard.