Author Topic: North Tejas 1989  (Read 18973 times)

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: North Tejas 1989
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
guys-

we hadn't won a game in like thirty games. there was a tie in there though. it was a thirty game non winning streak. we could've had the best field goal kicker in the history of the world and there would've been a 0% chance that we would've kicked a field goal. 0%. it wasn't even an option. they needed to win a game. a tie would've been just as bad as a loss.

I was just giving another reason of the 15 bajjilliongazzillion why they didn't try a FG.

Was the kicker Tate "Wide" Wright?  If so the nickname would also be a clue why there was no kick.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
guys-

we hadn't won a game in like thirty games. there was a tie in there though. it was a thirty game non winning streak. we could've had the best field goal kicker in the history of the world and there would've been a 0% chance that we would've kicked a field goal. 0%. it wasn't even an option. they needed to win a game. a tie would've been just as bad as a loss.

I was just giving another reason of the 15 bajjilliongazzillion why they didn't try a FG.

Was the kicker Tate "Wide" Wright?  If so the nickname would also be a clue why there was no kick.

it's like i'm posting to a wall, but instead of just standing there saying nothing, the wall keeps posting back in really stupid ways. the kicker didn't matter you guys. a tie was just as bad as a loss.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
I know why they were tunnel-visioned on a touchdown once they got it into the red zone.  It seems weird that getting into FG range to tie the game wasn't mentioned when they were back around their own 10 with a little over a minute left.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
guys-

it's like i'm posting to a wall, but instead of just standing there saying nothing, the wall keeps posting back in really stupid ways. the kicker didn't matter you guys. a tie was just as bad as a loss.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
I know why they were tunnel-visioned on a touchdown once they got it into the red zone.  It seems weird that getting into FG range to tie the game wasn't mentioned when they were back around their own 10 with a little over a minute left.

because a field goal would have resulted in a tie and a tie would've been just as bad as a loss. i'll stop though, because there are only three options for how this conversation went/is going...

1) i have not explained this well
2) you guys are messing with me
3) you guys are complete idiots

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
man, stan bot really has been through it all.

He really has. 
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
WGAF about field goals or whatever.  What we should be focusing on instead is how downtrodden the DB is right after Hernandez caught that touchdown and jumped up and down right in the dude's face. That guy has his head down and is just so bummed. The very personification of the word "hang-dog." I almost feel bad for him.

goEMAW should find out his name and mail him a sympathy card or something. We could all sign it and junk.

Fun fact: goEMAW user SchemeDoctor has a dog named Frank Hernandez Dog in honor of this drive.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
What about the fact that our jersey's look the exact same as they did in 1989.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
guys-

and i appreciate that, except for the absolute fact that how good or how bad the kicker was at the time was an absolute complete non factor in deciding whether or not to go for it.

like, if we could use a robot computer to make a cyborg kicker that made one hundred percent of every field goal he kicked from absolutely any distance on the football field and then used the same robot computer to build a time maching and put the cyborg in the time machine and sent him back to 1989 with instuctions to go kick for the kansas state football team and snyder saw this cyborg kick eight thousand field goals in a row without missing and there were national news stories on him and the whole world knew about him then guess what? kstate does not even think about kicking a field goal in that situation and nobody in the entire stadium thinks about kicking a field goal in that situation.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
guys-

and i appreciate that, except for the absolute fact that how good or how bad the kicker was at the time was an absolute complete non factor in deciding whether or not to go for it.

like, if we could use a robot computer to make a cyborg kicker that made one hundred percent of every field goal he kicked from absolutely any distance on the football field and then used the same robot computer to build a time maching and put the cyborg in the time machine and sent him back to 1989 with instuctions to go kick for the kansas state football team and snyder saw this cyborg kick eight thousand field goals in a row without missing and there were national news stories on him and the whole world knew about him then guess what? kstate does not even think about kicking a field goal in that situation and nobody in the entire stadium thinks about kicking a field goal in that situation.

Your point doesn't make any sense.  We wouldn't have lost every game for like 30 years if we had this kicker and his 8 thousand field goals
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:06:15 AM by ChiCat »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

because a field goal would have resulted in a tie and a tie would've been just as bad as a loss. i'll stop though, because there are only three options for how this conversation went/is going...

No, you've explained it fine from the perspective of a long-suffering MHK Cat fan.  I'm saying it's weird from the perspective of somebody who didn't suffer through 30 straight non-wins to not hear in a 17-14 game with a minute left that the Cats can get to or are in FG range, even if that's immediately followed by Mitch screaming that they don't want a tie, they want the win, baby.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
I think it's weird too.  I also think it's weird that LHC Bill Snyder ate a timeout at the end of a game like that.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
or maybe the kicker wasn't feeling well and lacking confidence. Snyder is very good at reading players, imo.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
snyders was bold and daring before bold and daring was cool

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »

4) the most attractive and best smelling poster of all time wanted everyone to let everyone know that we had a kicker with a demeaning and funny nickname.
It is like two walls are posting to each other and the first wall is so self centered and narcissistic that he can't understand that another wall may have motivations that have nothing to do with what the first wall has posted. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
guys-

Your point doesn't make any sense.  We wouldn't have lost every game for like 30 years if we had this kicker and his 8 thousand field goals

Ya we would just kick from our own 20 after a touchback every time.  A lot of teams wouldn't be able to produce more than 3 points per possession.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
#58 for UNT was rough ridin' dominating our left tackle.

Scary thought -- there were a couple of guys sitting on the bench who were not good enough to win the starting LT spot.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »

Good points. We had to win that game. In 1989 vs N. Texas when you haven't won in a long time, you go for the win.

But Snyder changed within a few years based on a different situation. In 1993 against Colorado he went for the tie.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

Good points. We had to win that game. In 1989 vs N. Texas when you haven't won in a long time, you go for the win.

But Snyder changed within a few years based on a different situation. In 1993 against Colorado he went for the tie.

yeah. i thought about that colorado game too. i was so mad at the time but kind of understood. tying colorado was an accomplishment. that one handed lockett catch.  :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
yeah. i thought about that colorado game too. i was so mad at the time but kind of understood. tying colorado was an accomplishment. that one handed lockett catch.  :love:

Yes, it was the oddest mixture of disappointment and happiness that I have ever had after a K-State game.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »

Yes, it was the oddest mixture of disappointment and happiness that I have ever had after a K-State game.

hmm, was that the same game? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »

yeah.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=one+handed+kevin+lockett+catch&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=one+handed+kevin+lockett+catch&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

yeah.

I was watching from the endzone. I thought there was no way the ball would be caught when May threw it.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
 :sdeek:  :sdeek:  :sdeek:  :sdeek:  :sdeek:  :sdeek:  :sdeek:

Turner Gill was a closet :ksu:  :emawkid:  :lynchmob: all the way back in 1989!

http://www.fanbase.com/North-Texas-Mean-Green-Football-1989/roster

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »
The attendance was good because the athletic department made a strategic decision to encourage underage drinking.  It worked.