Author Topic: KState v. MU annual game in KC  (Read 37402 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KState v. MU annual game in KC
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
we could have nice things w/out that meaning that a local competitor gets to have nice things in the process. 

playing mu @ sprint center = playing wsu @ intrust.

that is an awful example.  MU is on equal footing with us right now.  WSU is well below us.  we do not compete with WSU for recruits.  Losing to WSU would be humiliating and beating them meaningless.  Beating MU would be great and losing to them would not be a mid major resume loss.

in both examples, we don't need to play them, could play in the arenas and fill it without them, and a loss (or annual losses) would not threaten any loss (perceived or real) "market share" of the area the arena is located in.  Playing other people in those arenas puts the spotlight on us only.  we share nothing with anyone else.  nationally, it would be better to play people outside your regiond/time zone. 

i'd be happy playing UCLA or Memphis or Florida. All attainable, imo.

Have we filled the Sprint other than the Duke game? I disagree that nationally we would be better off playing anyone else if we made this an annual event.  Sure we could play any of those three teams but we are going to have to make a return trip which I don't think is worth it when we can get a high profile KC game every year.  Like you said, when we make those return trips the spotlight is only on the other team, not us.

completely sold out?  I dunno.  But UNLV and Bama were well attended, weren't they?  like 90% capacity? 85%?    And playing someone outside your region provides a more national and local coverage.  nationally, everyone talks about both; locally, only us (regardless of the location).  IMO, it's a win/win for us on a regional and national level.  I don't care about going to another venue (gets the team ready for Brucebruary).

I don't recall those games being that well attended but I could be misremembering them.  I guess we just don't agree on the outside your region argument.  I think MU would provide much more attention because we have the history/rivalry with them and now with the conference change it adds that dimension.  The fanbases already don't like each other for the most part so there is added interest there.  Plus both fanbases can easily get to the game every year while the return game at bama or wherever is a hard sell for a lot of fans to travel to.

UNLV was sold out and very well attended

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
UNLV was a doom type atmosphere.  I think it is one of the reasons Lon hates us so much.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
I'd rather play anybody anywhere than play Mizzou in KC.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »
I'd rather play anybody anywhere than play Mizzou in KC.

:tsc:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
Beems, why have you been so angry lately? A lil filly break your heart? You can talk to me. I'm here with open arms. :Openarms:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:12:25 PM by fanningksu »

catzacker

« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
IIRC, Florida What's It's Interanational Atlantic Nobodies A&M game was sold out when Mike was there.  It was just for Mike, but just sayin'.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
IIRC, Florida What's It's Interanational Atlantic Nobodies A&M game was sold out when Mike was there.  It was just for Mike, but just sayin'.

The obvs answer is that we should sched losers and find a way to get Mike back on the team.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
completely sold out?  I dunno.  But UNLV and Bama were well attended, weren't they?  like 90% capacity? 85%?    And playing someone outside your region provides a more national and local coverage.  nationally, everyone talks about both; locally, only us (regardless of the location).  IMO, it's a win/win for us on a regional and national level.  I don't care about going to another venue (gets the team ready for Brucebruary).

MU/Illinois gets far more coverage nationally than any of our KC games have received (except maybe the Pullen suspension game). Plus no one gives a crap about our "road neutral" games as evidenced by the fact that they haven't even cracked ESPNU. They're a complete waste for what we receive. Cumulatively, two games vs. MU over two years gives us far more national exposure than the KC/Mobile home-home.

Pro Tip- we don't replace Illinois in the MU-Illinois rivalry and the games aren't going to bring any more national exposure anymore than any other decent team we play in Sprint Center.  i'd love to type "we're still k-state" but we're not even that, we're a diluted program and nothing more.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
KState v. MU annual game in KC
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
Protip: this will be bigger than the IL matchup if you pussies get over your red ass

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Protip: this will be bigger than the IL matchup if you pussies get over your red ass

similar to how K-State job = Illinois job

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
We have a longer and better history v. MU than IL. It's ours for the taking if our poor fans can deal with giving that to their KC co workers after saying it was over.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

similar to how K-State job = Illinois job

I have no idea what that means :flush

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
We have a longer and better history v. MU than IL. It's ours for the taking if our poor fans can deal with giving that to their KC co workers after saying it was over.

Mizzou's fans don't give near enough of a crap about us to make this become a better rivalry than Mizzou-UI. The relations between our two programs was as nasty as it could ever get while Frank was here and we were still third or fourth on most Missouri fans' hate list.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
UI doesn't really care about Missouri (IMO).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
this really isn't about what MU or Illinois fans give a crap about.

at least with Mu-Illinois, there was a Big 10 draw.  no one gives two shits about MU-K-State outside of the KC metro.  but major LOLLERSFACES to those of you saying that our match up will replace the MU-Illinois game and pull a national draw.  LMFAO.

good grief the butthurt in this thread trying not to be butthurt is fantastic. 

Offline WavetheWheat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • SteveDave's Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
Stevedave a closet tuck?

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
this really isn't about what MU or Illinois fans give a crap about.

at least with Mu-Illinois, there was a Big 10 draw.  no one gives two shits about MU-K-State outside of the KC metro.  but major LOLLERSFACES to those of you saying that our match up will replace the MU-Illinois game and pull a national draw.  LMFAO.

good grief the butthurt in this thread trying not to be butthurt is fantastic.

good point. i'm very much against playing them now. my butt feels silky smooth right now :surprised:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
This is the most anti-TSC'y thing.  It's like some of you aren't even serious when you TSC.

Sheesh.  How disillusioning.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
DNR

Play USC in KC every year. Should have been part of the buy out of his contract.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »
Stevedave a closet tuck?

except opposite?  While I know you don't know where shirt-tuck originated or in what context you use it you should see the "oscar Weber mentions scheduling MU" thread on GPC.  It's a meltdown to end all meltdowns.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
This is the most anti-TSC'y thing.  It's like some of you aren't even serious when you TSC.

I coined TSC.  This has nothing to do with TSC.  This has to do with what is best for KState and the conference and the basketball team and the fanbase and the KC community. KSCBFKC. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »

I coined TSC.  This has nothing to do with TSC.  This has to do with what is best for KState and the conference and the basketball team and the fanbase and the KC community. KSCBFKC.

Kinda think what is best is doing a KC neutral site game every year but not with MU. Now that Frank's gone maybe we can connect with MOKAN again and shut missouri out. In terms of recruiting, it's probably best for us to not let them back into the city they just gave the finger to. Both arguments have benefits and drawbacks to KSU, but I think it's of greater benefit to us to not play them in the long run.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
you guys can keep being enemies with your ex girlfriends to your own detriment all you want.  but keep that crap in your own personal lives.  when it comes to what's best for kstate I'd appreciate it if you would not be bitter dumbasses that hate the girl that dumped you for your entire lives. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
you guys can keep being enemies with your ex girlfriends to your own detriment all you want.  but keep that crap in your own personal lives.  when it comes to what's best for kstate I'd appreciate it if you would not be bitter dumbasses that hate the girl that dumped you for your entire lives.

it's like i'm posting to a wall

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »

it's like i'm posting to a wall

you haven't posted crap. also I coined "it's like I'm posting to a wall" but I know you know that.