Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 20942 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
I always like the L, its cheaper than 1 cab ride for a week.  I would take it, but it might take some time.  The hotel will hold your bags.  I would consider the aquarium over a museum.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
I always like the L, its cheaper than 1 cab ride for a week.  I would take it, but it might take some time.  The hotel will hold your bags.  I would consider the aquarium over a museum.

Thanks!  :D
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
Is this the most shameless thread hijacking ever? I say yes. :dubious:

i gave you a really good tip on the purple pig though  :dunno:

Doesn't take reservations  :ohno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »
Is this the most shameless thread hijacking ever? I say yes. :dubious:

i gave you a really good tip on the purple pig though  :dunno:

Doesn't take reservations  :ohno:

yeah. also, if you want a romantic place then purple pig is not it. it's pretty noisy and crowded and stuff. really fun though. idk, check out the menu and see if it's something you and your wife would like.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
architectural river tour is good.

Hugo's Frog Bar (restaurant) is awesome.

the Violet Hour is a pretty cool high-end cocktail bar

Take the El from the airport...takes 45 minutes or so, but a cab ride is spendy, and will still take 20-25 minutes at least.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
I'm thinking maybe an Italian (pasta) place on Friday night.  Thoughts on Osteria Via Stato?  Got good review on trip advisor.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
I think you might be over planning this thing.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
I think you might be over planning this thing.
No such thing

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
My wife is lollin with this amateur hour chicago talk.  I asked her to tell me some good things to share and she said the only decent thing that has been mentioned is the architecture boat tour.  Sorry guys she says you are beyond her ability to help.

As for Chicago-pak this summer, I think August 25 should be ok.  I am pretty sure my wife will insist on a sox game if that is possible.  Her family friend Paddy over at the cement union can get us tickets.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
I second taking the train in from Midway, and everything said about the Purple Pig.

As far as a little more intimate dining on Michigan Avenue goes,  I can't recommend the Gage highly enough. Phenomenal food, exceptional service.

Chicago style pizza sucks. But the pot pie pizzas at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. are brilliant. It's a great place to go after doing Lincoln Park, the zoo, the conservatory.

Navy Pier pretty much sucks, but is not without its hokey, Bransony charms. The Ferris wheel is kind of fun, and there are lake cruises that leave from there that are pretty nice, look for deals online  and go around sunset.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
My wife is lollin with this amateur hour chicago talk.  I asked her to tell me some good things to share and she said the only decent thing that has been mentioned is the architecture boat tour.  Sorry guys she says you are beyond her ability to help.

As for Chicago-pak this summer, I think August 25 should be ok.  I am pretty sure my wife will insist on a sox game if that is possible.  Her family friend Paddy over at the cement union can get us tickets.

well the purple pig is a consistent chicago michelin guide bib gourmand winner and was voted one of the ten best new restaurants in 2010 in america by bon appetit magazine. not surprisingly though, your wife knows more than them. pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:11:55 PM by rick daris »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
Seems that we have an Aug 25 consensus

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
Eat at a Rick Bayless restaurant (I havent but on my to do list). 

Topolo?  Look delish!  :drool:

Sure, and then report back on what is particularly awesome

No reservations available...for either of the days I'm there.  :horrorsurprise:  :bawl:

do lunch, no reso required.  thank me later.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »

well the purple pig is a consistent chicago michelin guide bib gourmand winner and was voted one of the ten best restaurants in 2010 in america by bon appetit magazine. not surprisingly though, your wife knows more than them. pretty interesting.

Oh great thread.  A gringo named Rick Bayless has the best Mexican food according to every terrified white person.  "see kk!  It is even in Bon appetit!". Yes of course, Bon appetit, with their finger to the pulse of chicagos ethnic food as prepared by wasp chefs.

When I finally meet up with you are you going to actually ge t your face cratered or are you going to send your butler to catch the beat down?

Gmafb.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
I would generally trust the Michelin guide.  But if your volumptuous wife has amazing ideas, I am open to them
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:12:08 PM by ChiCat »

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
It will take about an hour to get downtown via the El from midway.

Don't go to Navy Pier. There is almost nothing to do there. I really don't know why it's so popular.

The blue man group is a pretty good time and you can get there fairly easily on the El. Tickets are a little pricey though ($80 or so per person) and you have to get tickets a little in advance because the theater is really small.

Also, if you don't mind spending a good chunk of change eating dinner at the John Hancock building is pretty awesome.

Also take a look at Markethouse if you are looking for a cheaper alternative that is still really good. They grow their own vegetables and only use Illinois raised meats. Which is kind of cool. http://markethousechicago.com/

Also, if you have a smart phone (I'm assuming you do unless you are 90) use the google maps app and hit the public transportation button. It's a good way to utilize all the buses (most people don't even think about taking the buses but a lot of times they are quicker than the El.

Also, almost every bar downtown plays super loud music and sucks. Hubbard street has the best bars downtown though.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
I would generally trust the Michelin guide.  But if your volumptuous wife has amazing ideas, I am open to them

:lol:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »

well the purple pig is a consistent chicago michelin guide bib gourmand winner and was voted one of the ten best restaurants in 2010 in america by bon appetit magazine. not surprisingly though, your wife knows more than them. pretty interesting.

Oh great thread.  A gringo named Rick Bayless has the best Mexican food according to every terrified white person.  "see kk!  It is even in Bon appetit!". Yes of course, Bon appetit, with their finger to the pulse of chicagos ethnic food as prepared by wasp chefs.

When I finally meet up with you are you going to actually ge t your face cratered or are you going to send your butler to catch the beat down?

Gmafb.

:confused:

Located on
The Magnificent Mile,
The Purple Pig is a collaboration of
Chefs Scott Harris of Mia Francesca,
Tony Mantuano of Spiaggia,
Jimmy Bannos and Jimmy Bannos Jr.
of Heaven on Seven. Featuring housemade
charcuterie, cheeses and classic
Mediterranean fare plus an extensive
yet accessible wine list.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
Also go to Billy Goat tavern on Michigan just because it's under the city and kind of neat.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
If this actually happens, there is a 1000% percent chance I am dragging the group down to the south side for clubbing.  Will be epic.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
If this actually happens, there is a 1000% percent chance I am dragging the group down to the south side for clubbing.  Will be epic.

I know a guy who is big into the DJamer scene there

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »

L schedule says about 30 minutes.  I'll trust the L doesn't routinely run 100% late.  :dubious:

Also, I think we are going to hit up Second City.  They just opened their 100th revue tonight...which should be pretty cool.  The only question is the 8:00pm show or the 11:00pm show.  Do any experienced Chicagoans/Second City goers know if there's any difference in the quality/content of the two show times?  Other than I'll be more  :drink: by the 11:00 show and, as such, will probably  :lol: harder.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

L schedule says about 30 minutes.  I'll trust the L doesn't routinely run 100% late.  :dubious:

Also, I think we are going to hit up Second City.  They just opened their 100th revue tonight...which should be pretty cool.  The only question is the 8:00pm show or the 11:00pm show.  Do any experienced Chicagoans/Second City goers know if there's any difference in the quality/content of the two show times?  Other than I'll be more  :drink: by the 11:00 show and, as such, will probably  :lol: harder.

both shows are the same, though you could sit through both and see totally different shows based on the improv aspect.   The area is a little sketch, so be safe if you leave the late show.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
The area is a little sketch, so be safe if you leave the late show.

That's actually solid advice that I hadn't considered. We'll be taking the L back to the hotel and I know the L is pretty safe but I'm not sure how much we'll want to be out wandering around riding subways after midnight.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »
You have fists.  Be a man.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite