Author Topic: FoxSports.com's Bill Reiter: John Currie sucks at his job, wants a different one  (Read 21546 times)

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
What if Weber goes to the tourney the next 2 seasons and then:

1. Currie leaves for a new AD gig, and
2. Some other school (with a stupid AD) pays Weber even MORE money to go coach somewhere else?

I mean, that would be ok right?  I dunno...just spitballing here.

:dunno:

Best case scenario here.  :bball:

Brialliant.  Why didn't I think of that?  Oh yeah, because he's a suck ass coach and we won't see the NCAAs next year, much less the next 2 seasons.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What if Weber goes to the tourney the next 2 seasons and then:

1. Currie leaves for a new AD gig, and
2. Some other school (with a stupid AD) pays Weber even MORE money to go coach somewhere else?

I mean, that would be ok right?  I dunno...just spitballing here.

Best case scenario here.  :bball:

Brialliant.  Why didn't I think of that?  Oh yeah, because he's a suck ass coach and we won't see the NCAAs next year, much less the next 2 seasons.

If the team stays together, Weber is not so shitty that they will miss the tournament. We have a very talented roster.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Weber will never leave KSU for a better job, no matter how well he does, because he's got it cushy here, that contract saw to that.  If he makes the tourney 2 years in a row it will take at least 1 year for a new ad to sink him, and we'll have to have sucked. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I'M already just sick of this. I haven't even enjoyed the final 4 because of all of this bull crap.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
never thought i'd say it, but i may be starting to miss tim weiser.  at least he hired huggins. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Weber is charlie weis, he needed one last well paying gig to fill out his retirement 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Weber is charlie weis, he needed one last well paying gig to fill out his retirement

Yeah, I don't blame Weber.  Good for him.  Who wouldn't have taken that offer?  If you eff up so bad you get fired and someone throws millions at you a few weeks later, you jump on the pile of bills and roll around in them giggling like a little girl.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
oscar Weber is a very good basketball coach. But to win in Manhattan – to bring in players and win in one of the least desirable college towns in America – you need a certain kind of guy. And that is not, and will never be, Weber. It’s simply a bad fit.

:sdeek:

Total bullshit.  But, we can thank Frank Martin running off to South Carolina for propagating that time honored myth.

I love this Manhattan narrative the KC media loves to perpetuate (Reiter is a former KC Star writer). When Frank was hired, for about 10 days afterword all we heard was how terrible he was going to be, how we could never win, and how we should hire a coach with more experience because someone like Frank couldn't win long term after Beasley and Walker left.

Amazing and ironic how 6 years later, after Frank single handedly proved the "can't recruit or be successful in manhattan" narrative wrong again, they use the departure of Frank to perpetuate the same argument. Regardless what you think of the Weber hire the can't recruit to Manhattan argument is bs. Our historical success in basketball and more recent 20 years in Football proves that.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol at football being good due to recruiting. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
lol at football being good due to recruiting.

The biggest testament to how good of a coach Snyder is in terms of preparation and game day coaching is the fact that the recruiting is so bad.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

At least the squawks can hold onto the hope that Weiss will drop dead in the near future.  BW seems to be in pretty good shape.  I mean hell, the man mows his own yard for Christ sake.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Full circle I guess.

https://twitter.com/sportsreiter/status/832065376368336896

what a jerk

The truth hurts.  This guys was dead right.

When can we fire Currie?  I don't want him anywhere near a decision regarding a new football coach.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mittie seems like a good hire?

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snyder for AD?  Even Sean.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Half the morons on this board (including myself) could do better than Currie because we care for the long-term success of KSU.  This was always a stepping-stone job for Currie...he thought he would be gone before Weber's suckiness started to show itself.  This is what happens when you hire doofus career "leaders" who are more concerned about advancing in their career than actually doing a good job for the institution that hired them.

Yes, yes, I know Currie has built a bunch of stuff.  But any half-way competent AD could've/would've done the same thing.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Full circle I guess.

what a jerk

When can we fire Currie?  I don't want him anywhere near a decision regarding a new football coach.

the truth doesn't hurt and i don't need shithead reporters giving me an "i told you so" when we already knew that the hire sucked

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Half the morons on this board (including myself) could do better than Currie because we care for the long-term success of KSU.  This was always a stepping-stone job for Currie...he thought he would be gone before Weber's suckiness started to show itself.  This is what happens when you hire doofus career "leaders" who are more concerned about advancing in their career than actually doing a good job for the institution that hired them.

Yes, yes, I know Currie has built a bunch of stuff.  But any half-way competent AD could've/would've done the same thing.

Most ADs would not be able to raise funds nearly as well as Currie has. He is very good at that aspect of his job.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Steffy post. The Weber hire sucked. A couple of other things sucked. By and large, Currie has been good for KSU. If he does the right thing after this year, that will still be true.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Have always been skeptical of the Oscar hire, but what really pissed me off about that article was calling the Holy City one of the worst college towns in America.  We already knew the rest.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Most ADs would not be able to raise funds nearly as well as Currie has. He is very good at that aspect of his job.

Disagree.  We have $ rolling in from Big 12 TV, and we have alumni that really love Snyder and KSU football.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Full circle I guess.

what a jerk

the truth doesn't hurt and i don't need shithead reporters giving me an "i told you so" when we already knew that the hire sucked

You may not, but most of our fanbase does. When Wooldridge was fired I made sure to be an insufferable I Told You So guy to all the hayseeds who kept saying he needed more time; I'm absolutely going to be even more insufferable when oscar inevitably gets canned. Hopefully after enough reminding after enough bad hires, all those idiots will stop saying "the future is bright!" as an excuse to keep a mediocre coach around another year.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I feel compelled to point out, again, that keeping the athletic department profitable is basically the ONLY part of his job. Everything else (including FB/BBall success) is only important to the extent it impacts the bottom line.

People also just need to accept the fact that Weber and Currie will always be part of K-State lore because of title town.  I do think Weber has passed his usefulness to K-State sports, though.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Schulz doesn't come off as a huge sports nut to me. I'm not sure he really knows just what is going on.

I hope you are right.  He should really read goEMAW more before talking or making decisions though.  You know crap has hit the fan if we've turned against The Animal.

this. kirk had to have really made a mistake for this group of emaw's to go against him and that sweet southern drawl.

My hope is that things are still salvageable with Schulz and athletics. He's done a great job with the academic side of things during his time here. But keeping Currie for an extended period of time would show that he either doesn't really know how big time sports are supposed to work or he doesn't really care.

Ah, sweet innocence.