Author Topic: FoxSports.com's Bill Reiter: John Currie sucks at his job, wants a different one  (Read 21548 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
if reiter's theory is true, that currie is hoping to bolt for a better job in a year or possibly two, then i think his argument actually works against him. because if reiter is right, then currie's hire makes a ton of sense and could actually have a positive outcome - both for himself and also for kansas state.

most reasonable people are able to concede that weber will likely take k-state to the tourney over the next two years with frank's players. now, can k-state get beyond the round of 32? well, that remains to be seen.

but let's assume the following:

-weber leads k-state to consecutive ncaa tourney appearances; the cats advance to round of 32 next year and go one-and-done the next.
-currie finds a better gig and leaves.

if that happens, a new AD comes in and can now hire his own head coach. he'll be justified in doing so, for three reasons: 1) he can say, "i dont get the sense that our fanbase is entirely behind weber."; 2) he can say, "based on my own research, i know that weber is good at coaching players he inherits but not ones that he recruits"; and finally, 3) "i think kansas state can do better than one-and-done. it's time to find a coach who can help us compete for championships."

when it's time for the new AD to make a hire, k-state will have advanced to six ncaa tourneys in the previous seven years and would have made it to the round of 32 or beyond five times, including the elite eight in '10. given the currie-martin feud, this wasn't an attractive job - and the candidates, outside of gottlieb, were about as underwhelming as it gets.

in 2014, when it's time for a new AD to hire a new coach, k-state should be in position to target a good one and could make the splash hire that likely couldn't be delivered this time around because of the circumstances.

yeah or aliens could come down from mars and blast currie in the face and balls with a death ray and then swoop back to mars in their space ship and we can hire gottlieb and party.  there are really tons of different crazy scenarios that won't happen out there. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I wish that is true Rake, but I do not see a new AD stepping in and just canning a coach that had been to the NCAAs in 2 straight years, regardless of him doing it with someone else's players.  I think we're looking at 4 years minimum and an extension in there somewhere that leads to Weber walking with another 4 mil for getting bought out

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I wish that is true Rake, but I do not see a new AD stepping in and just canning a coach that had been to the NCAAs in 2 straight years, regardless of him doing it with someone else's players.  I think we're looking at 4 years minimum and an extension in there somewhere that leads to Weber walking with another 4 mil for getting bought out

Weber's 1st NCAA Tournament appearance will end any chance that we can be rid of him in less than a contract & a half (say 7 or 8 years minimum).  Face it, the 'tucks are going to swoon as soon as he clears the bubble that first time. 

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake

if the hate is still there, and if the pressure comes from the top (i.e., shulz), then it can be done and should be done. basically, 2014 will be your year to shine and to put the pressure squarely on schulz's shoulders.

if recruiting isn't strong in weber's first two years, you have plenty of ammo to poke holes in the future of k-state hoops under weber's watch (point to years 3-through-9 at illinois). schulz, upon hiring the new AD, can say: "if you want this job, you must fire weber and hand-pick our next coach.)

every potential AD would kill for that opportunity.

the next step is to hit a home run with the next hire, and if k-state is willing to fork over the big bucks to "undo what's been done" (from '12), the future should be bright with a viable candidate that trends upward.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The hate won't be there anymore.  At least not from a majority.  Also, I do not think this team (with Weber as coach) will make the NCAA tournament past year 1

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
The hate won't be there anymore.

well, then that's your fault for not sustaining it.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile

:surprised:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Guys, Weber told us at the press conference that he's going to recruit the basketball rich state of Kansas.  We should be good.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I will be stoking the fire as much as anybody.  Our basketball program is dying and WILL NOT accept its blood on my hands

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Another hope we could cling to is that Gottlieb finds a coaching job soon, either this year or next year, puts together a fantastic staff and starts recruiting like a badass.  That will help to expose Currie as a moron for not even granting the guy an interview.  I am a little more optimistic than most about your average K-State fan being able to eventually figure out just how Currie royally mumped us over, both in running off Frank and hiring a wet noodle as his replacement.  People may support him initially but the more information gets spread about this, the sooner those sentiments are going to change.  If I hadn't been following sports radio or reading news about the search in the day or two before the hire, I would not be nearly as pissed as I am right now.  But the word is sooner or later going to get out there about what this ass clown Currie has done.

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
What if Weber goes to the tourney the next 2 seasons and then:

1. Currie leaves for a new AD gig, and
2. Some other school (with a stupid AD) pays Weber even MORE money to go coach somewhere else?

I mean, that would be ok right?  I dunno...just spitballing here.

:dunno:
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

2. Some other school (with a stupid AD) pays Weber even MORE money to go coach somewhere else?

Best case scenario here.  :bball:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes, that would be very ok. The biggest problem we have is that Currie is already overpaying Weber and the other school would have to overpay him even more. That's why the local fans need to really make Weber feel unwelcome. We need Weber to hate Manhattan with all of his being so that he jumps at any opportunity to get out of town with a good job, even for a pay cut.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Of course I meant realistic best case scenario. Highly unlikely best case scenario is NBAF leaking cow aids into their cafe francais.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Related:

Sam Mellinger ? @mellinger
Talked to a college assistant last night who says #KState is a very bad job and not b/c of Currie. Said SC is "much" better job.

seriously, though, we didn't hear this "can't recruit to manhattan" bullshit AT ALL for the last 6 years. And the day Frank leaves, we hear it again. eff.

gottlieb's presser would have eliminated this FROM DAY ONE. Just like Huggs did to that sportscenter guy. THE PRESS CONFERENCE MATTERS.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Related:

Sam Mellinger ? @mellinger
Talked to a college assistant last night who says #KState is a very bad job and not b/c of Currie. Said SC is "much" better job.

seriously, though, we didn't hear this "can't recruit to manhattan" bullshit AT ALL for the last 6 years. And the day Frank leaves, we hear it again. eff.

gottlieb's presser would have eliminated this FROM DAY ONE. Just like Huggs did to that sportscenter guy. THE PRESS CONFERENCE MATTERS.

You mean Weber didn't handle it correctly when he said there are difficulties involved with recruiting to K-State? I don't believe you.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes, that would be very ok. The biggest problem we have is that Currie is already overpaying Weber and the other school would have to overpay him even more. That's why the local fans need to really make Weber feel unwelcome. We need Weber to hate Manhattan with all of his being so that he jumps at any opportunity to get out of town with a good job, even for a pay cut.

If someone thinks Weber is worth hiring after that, they're not going to worry about the $$ involved

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Mellinger is embarrassing himself.  I mean, a lot of people much higher up the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) media chain than he is have said it is a decent job.

eff him and whatevs shitty assistant he was talking to. 

Mellinger can die in a fire.

Offline unleashthemob

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
regardless of who supports john currie, him staying on as AD will hurt Ksu,  Schultz as president must let currie go in order to protect the image and integrity of the university.....The animosity between jc and FM, the lame hire of a outed basketball coach, the rumors of tension between him and Snyder. Its up to Schultz now to protect the university first and foremost no matter how hard of a decision it is.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Mellinger is embarrassing himself.  I mean, a lot of people much higher up the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) media chain than he is have said it is a decent job.

eff him and whatevs shitty assistant he was talking to. 

Mellinger can die in a fire.

This, but the fact that Currie was somehow oblivious to knowing that this would happen says a lot.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Guys, Weber told us at the press conference that he's going to recruit the basketball rich state of Kansas.  We should be good.

Mrs. CF3 while watching presser with me, "Wait, I thought you said there aren't any good players in Kansas?"  Me: "Yep, there's like one good one a year."  Mrs. CF3: "So why would he say that?"  CF3: "Because he's a gigantic failure."

Mrs. CF3 knows nothing about basketball, and spotted right away the disaster this is. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if reiter's theory is true, that currie is hoping to bolt for a better job in a year or possibly two, then i think his argument actually works against him. because if reiter is right, then currie's hire makes a ton of sense and could actually have a positive outcome - both for himself and also for kansas state.

most reasonable people are able to concede that weber will likely take k-state to the tourney over the next two years with frank's players. now, can k-state get beyond the round of 32? well, that remains to be seen.

but let's assume the following:

-weber leads k-state to consecutive ncaa tourney appearances; the cats advance to round of 32 next year and go one-and-done the next.
-currie finds a better gig and leaves.

if that happens, a new AD comes in and can now hire his own head coach. he'll be justified in doing so, for three reasons: 1) he can say, "i dont get the sense that our fanbase is entirely behind weber."; 2) he can say, "based on my own research, i know that weber is good at coaching players he inherits but not ones that he recruits"; and finally, 3) "i think kansas state can do better than one-and-done. it's time to find a coach who can help us compete for championships."

when it's time for the new AD to make a hire, k-state will have advanced to six ncaa tourneys in the previous seven years and would have made it to the round of 32 or beyond five times, including the elite eight in '10. given the currie-martin feud, this wasn't an attractive job - and the candidates, outside of gottlieb, were about as underwhelming as it gets.

in 2014, when it's time for a new AD to hire a new coach, k-state should be in position to target a good one and could make the splash hire that likely couldn't be delivered this time around because of the circumstances.

that is best case.  But what if no one wants JC.

Offline h8ku

• Fan
    • View Profile
the next step is to hit a home run with the next hire, and if k-state is willing to fork over the big bucks to "undo what's been done" (from '12), the future should be bright with a viable candidate that trends upward.

I think the best opportunity for a home run hire we may ever have in our lifetimes was just in front of us, and Currie took a big dump all over it to serve his own interests and values. The dangling carrot for a home run hire was a brand of basketball that is nationally respected, the excitement of opening up a new practice facility, and inheriting a core of quality players capable of making a deep run in the tournament.
2 or 3 years down the road we may have a couple NCAA runs, but Weber's personality will not intrigue the press to promote the K-State brand like they did when Frank was here. The practice facility will still be there, but competing programs may be planning or building comparable facilities or improving their existing ones to compete in the never ending facilities arms race. We don't know what kind of players will be left over from the Weber regime, but history has shown us that it will likely not be near what it is now. I think our talent level will be of the quality of the team Altman left Asbury. Maybe enough to get to the NCAA the first year, but essentially a rebuilding effort all over again.
Currie's move here will shape the culture of EMAW nation for years, and I fear it will turn us to a "happy to be in the tournament" fanbase, and not a contender for final fours. He'll make tucks of us all (unless we start liking other teams).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:45:13 PM by h8ku »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Kirk responds via Facebook: I am not sure it is possible to trash Kansas State, John Currie, Manhattan, and everything else all in one article. If this guy has EVER been to Manhattan I would be shocked. I don't mind criticism - but this is downright hateful.

If you let one man do it as his job, Kirk, its only going to be a matter of time til someone puts pen to paper

Well said.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Nuts Kicked, I don't think we'll have a problem in that respect.  I'm sure almost every coach we had, besides OB, was very anxious to get the hell out of our little cow town.  :facepalm:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.