Author Topic: Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...  (Read 7516 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
Welp.

For 12 or so hours I had some hope.

Then to go from the Gottlieb anticipation to the Weber realization was tough. Real tough.

But I'm an optimist and a numbers guy, so off and on for the last day I've been looking at the numbers. And looking...

I've decided that if you took Asbury and combined him with Wooly pretty much what you get is oscar Weber. Instead of a good old boy from a mid-sized Oklahoma City, Weber is the upper midwest version from Milwaukee. And like Asbury, Weber worked up as an assistant, got a BCS job, and eventually forced his employer to fire him by completely losing his team. 

First I always wonder about long time assistants becoming head coaches. Weber sat under Keady for nearly 20 years before heading out on his own. That itself is disconcerting.

However, his time at Southern Illinois featured some solid teams and success that he built himself. It looks like it was a fun style, 70 possessions per game, solid at oboarding and getting the the FT line, forcing TOs; actually not too much different than Frank's style.

Then Illinois came calling. With Bill Self's talent some things seemed to change. There was still an emphasis on oboarding early, but as his career went along that waned. His early teams had great guards and shooting was premium, but as more of his own players moved in the shooting got worse. Weber's best team at Illinois shot 39% from 3 and 39% of their shots were 3s. This year's team shot 30% from 3 for the season. Granted the Big 10 is slow in general, but the pace of his teams dropped to the mid to low 60s. The FT rate of his teams at Illinois was mediocre, way below average. TO rate forced only got worse during his tenure as well.

There was a point where it didn't seem like Weber was a SLTH in the style of basketball he played, but he certainly has evolved into one. The classic case of slowing down the game, not taking chances on the offensive glass, not attacking and thus forcing fouls, and not forcing turnovers at a high clip. Weber's defensive numbers are solid (besides when he lost this year's team), but its definitely a style that keeps the offense in front of you and seemingly bores the defense into missing shots. On the offensive end it becames a game of hoping you make shots. The last several years his offense has been characterized by being average at effective FG%, TO rate, and OR% while being terrible at FT rate.

Then you look at the fact that he completely lost his last team, a team he built, and a team with some solid talent. A team that sat at 15-3 and ranked in the Top 25 with adv stats that looked like this:

Total   Pace   PPP   eFG%   TO%   OR%   FTR
Illini   66   1.04    51.6     21.0     33.5     32.8
Opp   66   0.92    46.9     22.0     28.0     34.7

Then the wheels fell off. On the way to being fired and Weber claiming he "guessed" it was his fault, his team went 2-12 with these numbers:

Total   Pace   PPP   eFG%   TO%   OR%   FTR
Illini   63   0.96    46.8     19.7     27.7     28.3
Opp   63   1.07    53.3     18.2     28.5     41.2

So Currie has left us with a head scratching hire. I appreciate the angst of the board, but I leave that to the rest of you who are much better at it than me. Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to go back to watching this brand of basketball. Should most of the players stick around, Weber will be fine next year, he won't be able to coach out the toughness that Frank instilled in one year. But as time goes on I'll miss the tenacity, effort, and agressiveness I've comed to love the last 6 years. Many have called it ugly basketball, but its become the basketball I prefer.

Now I'm faced with going back to watching some combination of Asbury and Wooly.

Thanks John Currie.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:34:35 PM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
I'd rather just have 100% Wooly.  They all 3 are going to put a crappy team on the floor, at least Wooly was likable and tried.  Asbury cared about as much about the program as Currie, and it looks like Weber will stop giving a crap a soon as McGruder and JO are gone.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
 :bawl:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
this ordeal is turning into a tragedy

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
STRAIGHT TO THE BOTTOM.

:(
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
I almost wish Rodney and JO would just leave that way we can hit the ground running on sucking and get Weber out sooner rather than later.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
So lots of perimeter passing, a jump shot, 4 back to guard against transition and no o-boards?  Got it.

:bang:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
WHEN YOU LOSE _FAN, YOU LOSE THE WAR. 

So long, John Currie.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
I almost wish Rodney and JO would just leave that way we can hit the ground running on sucking and get Weber out sooner rather than later.

That's the thing that's tough. Next year will actually probably be pretty good if they stay because I think Weber is smart enough not to mess them up and he can't coach the toughness out of them. Its after that things will likely get ugly in a hurry based on his track record at Illinois.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Someone photoshop BW with a disturbingly red face and a neck brace.  K thanks.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
So lots of perimeter passing, a jump shot, 4 back to guard against transition and no o-boards?  Got it.

I don't know if it will be that bad, he had several teams that oboarded at a clip in the upper 30s. I could live with that.

But based on being consistently terrible at getting to the FT line that the offense will feature a lot of jumpers.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
I was waiting for him to say "fools gold" during the press conference.  That was my stroke word.

By the way, mods, I want to apologize for doubling my post count in 36 hours with an endless stream of hatred and anger...but right now this outlet is the only thing keeping me out of prison.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

catzacker

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
I want someone who makes me uncomfortable to schedule a game @UMKC in year 4.  Just to see.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »

I don't know if it will be that bad, he had several teams that oboarded at a clip in the upper 30s. I could live with that.

But based on being consistently terrible at getting to the FT line that the offense will feature a lot of jumpers.

Well at least Rodney will turn in to Rip Hamilton. That will be kind of fun I guess.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
My issue with him is he is the opposite of Frank as far as intensity. He got fired, then took everyone out for chicken nuggets. He says "I guess its my fault." He just doesn't care. I can't stand that I care more than he does. He could be great at everything else, but he can't lead like that, and can't succeed like that. Players see that losing isn't a big deal, that the coach doesn't expect more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
I was waiting for him to say "fools gold" during the press conference.  That was my stroke word.

Honestly this is one of the strangest things in following the trends of his teams. He has had several teams that shoot tons of 3s, with a 3PA% of 38-39%, and then some that don't shoot many at all, hovering between 29-30%.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »
My issue with him is he is the opposite of Frank as far as intensity. He got fired, then took everyone out for chicken nuggets. He says "I guess its my fault." He just doesn't care. I can't stand that I care more than he does. He could be great at everything else, but he can't lead like that, and can't succeed like that. Players see that losing isn't a big deal, that the coach doesn't expect more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

This is my biggest concern too, and probably a big reason he lost his team this year. I mean all of his players seemed to like him based on his last press conference, but not many respected him enough to play that hard for him.

Pretty much the exact opposite of Frank, so I guess Currie's choice shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »

By the way, mods, I want to apologize for doubling my post count in 36 hours with an endless stream of hatred and anger...but right now this outlet is the only thing keeping me out of prison.

:lol:  I mean a good straight minute.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
I know your talking about style here fan, but I just wanted to clarify...are you saying you think the results for the next five years will be somewhere between those two eras?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
I know your talking about style here fan, but I just wanted to clarify...are you saying you think the results for the next five years will be somewhere between those two eras?

Yeah, probably. I'd guess if Weber is around for 5 years we'll go to an NCAA, probably next year, then mix in a couple .500 (or below) seasons with a couple of 19/20 win NIT seasons.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
No one really knows how Weber will do...just a matter of waiting and seeing. People Could be right and he could suck horribly. On the other hand, you don't know if he will be successful here or not. He COULD be great here. Sounds stupid, but a true statement

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
No one really knows how Weber will do...just a matter of waiting and seeing. People Could be right and he could suck horribly. On the other hand, you don't know if he will be successful here or not. He COULD be great here. Sounds stupid, but a true statement

Of course. But I'm trying to judge based on his track record. Plus he's 55 years old, people don't change much in general, but especially when they are 55.

We'll see, I just hoped Currie would hire a coach that could perhaps equal the record Frank achieved, even if he couldn't match Frank's personality and national face for the program. I just don't see Weber doing that based on looking back at what he did at Illinois.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
I like Woolbury.
emaw

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »
_FAN!

YOU KNOW ME. You know me.

I really tried to recover and approach Weber as positive as I could. I have a 6 sheet excel file breaking down his tenure as a head coach.

The problem was the more I looked, the worse it got.

Honestly, if we were getting Weber straight from Southern Illinois everyone would be excited; he had a fun team that played fast. I'm afraid Big 10 basketball and SLTH style has permeated his being though.

Sad really.