Author Topic: Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...  (Read 7517 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
One thing I have to add is that I did not find Weber to be a poor recruiter and his recruiting actually improved the last few years.

Since 09 he signed 9 Top 80 high school players and 4 were Top 50. One of them left early (went undrafted). This year's roster had 8 of those players and arguably his top 3 players.

If anything having that talent and losing his team this year is the concern, not that he lost with mediocre talent because he didn't. He recruited much better than Frank the last few years.

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »
Someone on GP made the comparison for Weber to Tubby Smith and Kentucky/Minnesota. That's pretty good.

I'd rather have had Pitino than Frank.

Umm, we're the Minnesota of that example. 

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
Someone on GP made the comparison for Weber to Tubby Smith and Kentucky/Minnesota. That's pretty good.

unfortunately....  :blindfold:

Offline KSU-Krazie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
_FAN, what do you think our peak is under Weber based on everything you know now and Angel is the only one currently leaving?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
_FAN, what do you think our peak is under Weber based on everything you know now and Angel is the only one currently leaving?

I think its likely he could replicate his last 6 years at Illinois while at K-State. A couple NCAAs, a couple NITs, a couple .500ish seasons.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Woolbury? Asbridge? Tough to decide...
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »

I think its likely he could replicate his last 6 years at Illinois while at K-State. A couple NCAAs, a couple NITs, a couple .500ish seasons.

Looking at his record at Illinois, conference and overall, this is exactly what I thought. Probably at best 3rd in the conference (next year), at worst 8th. We'll probably sign him to a contract extension because he made a NCAA or two, then we'll fire him after 8 or 9 years, it will be a long slow death into SLTH-dom.
I'm purple down

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »

Yeah, I guess I completely misunderstood. I was thinking it was like Tubby taking over for Pitino. Not Tubby ending up at Minnesota.

I think it's been pounded home time and time again that Illinois is not, if at all, more successful than KSU. So I didn't fathom anyone was comparing the Illini job to UK. That's just foolish.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »

Yeah, I guess I completely misunderstood. I was thinking it was like Tubby taking over for Pitino. Not Tubby ending up at Minnesota.

I think it's been pounded home time and time again that Illinois is not, if at all, more successful than KSU. So I didn't fathom anyone was comparing the Illini job to UK. That's just foolish.

The point was a guy taking over a national program in excellent shape, having great success initially, then eventually getting run off because he didn't meet that program's expectations. That happened for both Tubby and oscar. Now we've seen what Tubby has done getting hired at a similar program as K-State, though K-State is much shape than Minnesota was when Tubby took over at Minnesota. I think its a pretty good comparison though.

catzacker

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
One thing I have to add is that I did not find Weber to be a poor recruiter and his recruiting actually improved the last few years.

Since 09 he signed 9 Top 80 high school players and 4 were Top 50. One of them left early (went undrafted). This year's roster had 8 of those players and arguably his top 3 players.

If anything having that talent and losing his team this year is the concern, not that he lost with mediocre talent because he didn't. He recruited much better than Frank the last few years.

the recruiting was better due to one man:  Jerrance Howard.  He came in during 08.  Since then the recruiting got better.  Illinois, KU and lol Weber are fighting for him (I assume Weber is).

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »

The point was a guy taking over a national program in excellent shape, having great success initially, then eventually getting run off because he didn't meet that program's expectations. That happened for both Tubby and oscar. Now we've seen what Tubby has done getting hired at a similar program as K-State, though K-State is much shape than Minnesota was when Tubby took over at Minnesota. I think its a pretty good comparison though.

He didn't have Saul Smith at Minnesota though....doomed to fail without him. At least Tubby got that title!

In all seriousness, I'm understand the analogy and it being warranted. I was half asleep when I made my initial preferring Pitino over Frank comment. Still mean it, but it's not worth replying to.

I'm just blue and unsure what to think, disregard my current postings.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
I think we are looking at more of an Altman level of performance than Woolly or Tan Tom.  We will see a few NCAA bids and NIT bids.  It won't be as bad as the depths of the dark days but we will become the epitome of mediocrity.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
I think we are looking at more of an Altman level of performance than Woolly or Tan Tom.  We will see a few NCAA bids and NIT bids.  It won't be as bad as the depths of the dark days but we will become the epitome of mediocrity.
I would tend to agree but Altman was able to recruit High major athletes from the juco ranks at that time, I am really concerned we will have Nebraska-esque athletes under Weber.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
I kind of like the ring to "Weberberryridge"

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
I kind of like the ring to "Weberryridge"

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
Weber in Big 10 play.

89-65 (58%) Overall
101-73 (58%) Including Big 10 Tournament
55-22 (71%) Home
34-43 (44%) Road
12-8 (60%) Big 10 Tournament

Last 6 years:
50-56 (47%) Overall
57-62 (48%) Including Big 10 Tournament
34-21 (63%) Home
16-35 (32%) Road
7-6 (54%) Big 10 Tournament

The one edge you see over Asbury/Wooly is that he did win some on the road, even the last 6 years. But again, he's going to be compared to Frank and Frank won 70% of his home games and 50% of his road games in conference play.

Also here's Weber's team by team Big 10 record (including Big 12 Tournament)
Minnesota   13   3   81.3%
Iowa   13   3   81.3%
Northwestern   13   4   76.5%
Indiana   11   6   64.7%
Penn St.   10   7   58.8%
Michigan   10   7   58.8%
Michigan St.   8   8   50.0%
Nebraska   1   1   50.0%
Wisconsin   9   12   42.9%
Purdue   7   11   38.9%
Ohio St.   6   11   35.3%

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
This seems like as good a Weber thread as any for this.

Just got done listening to him on mad dog.  They raved about how genuine he was.  Weber said he wouldn't be rooting for KU (no TSC).  Said he had a couple of other opportunities but K-State was the best (I assume the only major).  Keady put a lot of this together.  He is excited to see the players on the court today.  Still has to put a staff together.  Talked about some Purdue runs that ended due to injuries that are going to hurt Keady getting into HoF (bad luck).

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »