Author Topic: George Zimmerman is a piece of crap  (Read 199639 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Trayvon Martin
« Reply #1850 on: July 16, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
How do I search this thread for where I predicted SYG would be in the jury instructions and a few noobs said it wouldn't?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
They are following the law no matter how they vote. The law allows for a jury system to interpret the law in any way they see fit.

No and no. They must follow the law as presented to them.

They must? What is the penalty if they don't?

For the most part nothing happens. It could result in an overturn on appeal, but that doesn't happen as much as some people would think.  when a jury doesn't follow the law and votes for other reasons it is called jury nullification.

Right, there's no penalty, but the verdict could be tossed if it ever came to light (extremely rare). Do you really want a justice system where jurors are allowed to vote on emotion and prejudice rather than applying the evidence to the law (including the requirement that the state prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt)? I'm sure it happens all the time, but it's not supposed to.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
They are following the law no matter how they vote. The law allows for a jury system to interpret the law in any way they see fit.

For the most part nothing happens. It could result in an overturn on appeal, but that doesn't happen as much as some people would think.  when a jury doesn't follow the law and votes for other reasons it is called jury nullification.

Right, there's no penalty, but the verdict could be tossed if it ever came to light (extremely rare). Do you really want a justice system where jurors are allowed to vote on emotion and prejudice rather than applying the evidence to the law (including the requirement that the state prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt)? I'm sure it happens all the time, but it's not supposed to.

You just described a jury.  Good grief.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »

Exactly. That system is the one that we have.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
I have an idea for a fun game.  If you believe the not guilty verdict was correct then try your hardest to convince everyone that it was.  If you believe it was not correct try your hardest to convince everyone of that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 16, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
The thing that bothers me more than anything is that relatively little attention has been paid to the absolutely insane laws in place that protected George Zimmerman.

Stand your ground didn't play any roll in this trial.

:sdeek:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:16 AM »
I have an idea for a fun game.  If you believe the not guilty verdict was correct then try your hardest to convince everyone that it was.  If you believe it was not correct try your hardest to convince everyone of that.

it's moved beyond that, now they're just calling each other "dumbasses"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
If you get into an altercation and no witnesses saw who intsigated the fight, as long as you kill the other party, you're free to go.  That's the law.

I'm sure you know this, but it's been that way for a long time.  My mom tells a story about living in California in the 60's.  Sherrif tells her to keep shooting until they're dead, and if she ever shoots anyone outside her country home to drag the body inside. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »

Yes. I'm perplexed as to why we're still having legal conversations here, its over. I would like to know from the people who thought that Zimmerman should have been acquitted if they feel that he followed proper societal and moral rules.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »

Exactly. That system is the one that we have.

Doesn't mean we should condone it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
If I were a juror I would ask "How on earth could somebody who scared a kid into running away chase him down with a gun and then claim self defense?" And then I would vote guilty.

And I would reply that GZ caught up to TM after TM had a 4 minute head start?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »

Yes. I'm perplexed as to why we're still having legal conversations here, its over. I would like to know from the people who thought that Zimmerman should have been acquitted if they feel that he followed proper societal and moral rules.

That's a much better question.  I'd have to say no.  Even if you assume that following him was okay, he should have maintained a safe distance.  Getting close enough to be confronted/struck was where I believe he "broke the rules." 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 16, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »

I want the noobs to admit that SYG was submitted as an instruction and I was right.

It seems now that the gun nuts have figured out that the defense may have not needed the SYG law and so they are screaming that it wasn't involved so there isn't any scrutiny on it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 16, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
33 seems to struggle with discussing controversial issues. It's ok to have an opinion and defend it, 33. We'll still like your videos.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »

Did anyone say that GZ followed proper societal and moral rules? Seems that the clear consensus from everyone, except maybe a few that are always on the fringe, is that GZ is still a pos, even if not guilty of what he was charged of.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Ok, no more legal conversations. That's just the fun nerdy stuff for me.

To your question, I'm not sure what you mean by "proper societal and moral rules." Let's assume that GZ wasn't just trying to keep an eye on Trayvon, but instead was actually trying to approach him. That was certainly a riskier choice than staying in his car, especially if you think he might be a burglar, but was it immoral?

Now let's assume GZ then blurted out "what are you doing here?" That's a little rude, if you ask me. Not as rude as a punch to the face (or deserving of it), but still rude. Would have been more polite to say something like "Hi, we've had some break-ins in the neighborhood recently and I don't recognize you. Would you mind telling me who you are?"

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »

I want the noobs to admit that SYG was submitted as an instruction and I was right.

It seems now that the gun nuts have figured out that the defense may have not needed the SYG law and so they are screaming that it wasn't involved so there isn't any scrutiny on it.

Looks like we have some competing claims here.  I wonder who will be proven right beyond a reasonable doubt.

The thing that bothers me more than anything is that relatively little attention has been paid to the absolutely insane laws in place that protected George Zimmerman.

The same laws are in place in Kansas and most other states. It was just a standard self-defense claim, and there's nothing really special about it.

You said that a lot, then someone pointed out that Stand Your Ground was mentioned in the jury instructions and you seemed surprised and now you seem to be claiming that it had no effect again.

That "someone" was me. The SYG portion was just a carryover from the standard jury instruction. I was surprised that the defense didn't try (maybe they did) to take that part out, since they never claimed SYG and it didn't fit with theri theory of the case.

Again, stand your ground had no application to this case. GZ claimed he couldn't retreat, and it is therefore irrelevant that he didn't have to retreat.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »

Looks like we have some competing claims here.  I wonder who will be proven right beyond a reasonable doubt.

The same laws are in place in Kansas and most other states. It was just a standard self-defense claim, and there's nothing really special about it.

You said that a lot, then someone pointed out that Stand Your Ground was mentioned in the jury instructions and you seemed surprised and now you seem to be claiming that it had no effect again.

That "someone" was me. The SYG portion was just a carryover from the standard jury instruction. I was surprised that the defense didn't try (maybe they did) to take that part out, since they never claimed SYG and it didn't fit with theri theory of the case.

Again, stand your ground had no application to this case. GZ claimed he couldn't retreat, and it is therefore irrelevant that he didn't have to retreat.

No one would ever contend that the judge and attorneys for both parties would allow an instruction that "plays no part in the case" to go to the jury.  I think he just misspoke.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
If I were a juror I would ask "How on earth could somebody who scared a kid into running away chase him down with a gun and then claim self defense?" And then I would vote guilty.

And I would reply that GZ caught up to TM after TM had a 4 minute head start?

1. What makes you believe TM had a 4 minute head start? GZ was already outside and in pursuit when he was on the phone with 911. You can hear his heavy breathing and the wind blowing into the phone.

2. Obviously GZ did catch up to him or the kid wouldn't be dead.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 16, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »
Unlike TM this thread just won't die.  What? Too soon? Yeah you are right, I'll just show myself to the door.  :clac:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

It's hard to find a good proofreader for my blogs posts at a reasonable price these days. I'm looking into an illegal with an English degree.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 16, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »

It's hard to find a good proofreader for my blogs posts at a reasonable price these days. I'm looking into an illegal with an English degree.

You wouldn't be able to afford him/her.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

You wouldn't be able to afford him/her.

She missed another. Gone.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 16, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
33 seems to struggle with discussing controversial issues. It's ok to have an opinion and defend it, 33. We'll still like your videos.

The phrase "agree to disagree" is very underutilized in our society.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

The phrase "agree to disagree" is very underutilized in our society.

Solid counterpunch, 33! I think this argument is really about to get heated!