Author Topic: Gas prices up, and Obama is still fighting Keystone  (Read 13297 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Gas prices up, and Obama is still fighting Keystone
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Senate tried to amend the highway bill today to fast track Keystone. 60 votes were necessary, and it failed 56-42. Obama was actually lobbying senators to vote against the measure.

I just can't understand this. It makes no sense as a matter of policy or politics.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Gas prices up, and Obama is still fighting Keystone
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Quote from: Stephen Chu Secretary of Energy
"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe,"

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
you're a fool if you actually thing Keystone will help gas price between now and ever.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
Im all for drilling and pipelines and stuff but i doubt any increase would significantly decrease the price of gas.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
It is not a silver bullet. However, a significant component of the price of gasoline is the price of crude oil, and a significant factor in the price of crude oil is market speculation. Promoting a new initiative to expand oil and gas leasing, pipelines, refineries, etc. can help to tamp down speculation. Any little bit helps. Not to mention the fact that this project will generate jobs and revenue (permits, leases, etc.) and expand oil production in North America as opposed to the Middle East.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
but haven't we been over the fact that not having a pipeline creates jobs in other segments of the economy?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
but haven't we been over the fact that not having a pipeline creates jobs in other segments of the economy?

You mean the jobs for Canadians who will ship the oil to China?  :dunno:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »
Duh, it's too soon before the election for anything to happen.  Will need to wait a little while before they figure out how to maximize their political gain.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
won't they sell it to whoever will pay them the most?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
Senate tried to amend the highway bill today to fast track Keystone. 60 votes were necessary, and it failed 56-42. Obama was actually lobbying senators to vote against the measure.

I just can't understand this. It makes no sense as a matter of policy or politics.

It looks like the Senate killed it.  It's pretty  clear Americans don't want this piece of crap.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
from TransCanada Studies:

It would cost Midwesterners more in fuel prices if Keystones went through! 

“Rather than providing the US with more Canadian oil, Keystone XL will simply shift oil from the Midwest to the Gulf Coast, where much of it can be exported to international buyers – decreasing US energy supply and increasing the cost of oil in the American Midwest,” concludes a new study by the Natural Resources Defense Council, a New York-based environmental advocacy non-profit group, citing numerous TransCanada studies and the transcripts of Canadian federal hearings.

But that is not merely Verleger’s opinion. It’s based on findings of the economic consultants hired by TransCanada – contained in their analyses of the pipeline’s impact on Canadian oil producers and in official testimony before Canada's National Energy Board.
“Existing markets for Canadian heavy crude, principally [the US Midwest], are currently oversupplied, resulting in price discounting for Canadian heavy crude oil,” concludes a 2009 analysis on behalf of TransCanada by Purvin & Gertz, Inc., an oil economics firm based in Houston. “Access to the [US Gulf Coast] via the Keystone XL Pipeline is expected to strengthen Canadian crude oil pricing in [the Midwest market] by removing this oversupply. This is expected to increase the price of heavy crude to the equivalent cost of imported crude.”

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46689167/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/#.T1rd0fFmLl8
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »

Obama politically maneuvered this one pretty well. 

First he tries to punt it until after the election, so he can kill it when it's not so toxic.
       Then the Repubs force his hand and force him to make a decision (he hates making these)
Second, he kills under the guise of some phony environmental concerns, runs a bunch of propaganda about how it increases the cost of gas in the midwest (which he doesn't give a crap about), and convinces the libtards that these construction jobs would be taking away from other construction jobs in the country (lol at this one), all of which are brazen lies unsupported by fact or evidence.
     But, says they can reapply and reroute through another place and everything will be fine while polling the senate to crush it.
Then he lets the Senate do his dirty work for him, killing it on straight partisan lines.

MSM :crickets:   Washes his hands of the whole thing, all the while giving himself credit for the jobs the oil industry created.  What a savvy politician, awful leader and horrible human being.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »

“Rather than providing the US with more Canadian oil, Keystone XL will simply shift oil from the Midwest to the Gulf Coast, where much of it can be exported to international buyers – decreasing US energy supply and increasing the cost of oil in the American Midwest,” concludes a new study by the Natural Resources Defense Council, a New York-based environmental advocacy non-profit group, citing numerous TransCanada studies and the transcripts of Canadian federal hearings.

But that is not merely Verleger’s opinion. It’s based on findings of the economic consultants hired by TransCanada – contained in their analyses of the pipeline’s impact on Canadian oil producers and in official testimony before Canada's National Energy Board.
“Existing markets for Canadian heavy crude, principally [the US Midwest], are currently oversupplied, resulting in price discounting for Canadian heavy crude oil,” concludes a 2009 analysis on behalf of TransCanada by Purvin & Gertz, Inc., an oil economics firm based in Houston. “Access to the [US Gulf Coast] via the Keystone XL Pipeline is expected to strengthen Canadian crude oil pricing in [the Midwest market] by removing this oversupply. This is expected to increase the price of heavy crude to the equivalent cost of imported crude.”

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46689167/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/#.T1rd0fFmLl8

You are a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) who doesn't understand the difference between WTI and Brent Crude.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »
Isn't the senate elected by the people?  No one wants this boondoggle.  Kill it

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »

Chicago thuggery and vote buying wins again.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

I sometimes can tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. Several demos actually crossed party lines to support the measure, and the Dema made sure it fell just short of the 60 votes needed to pass.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
Repubs can't buy votes?  Sounds like you guys need to practice this politic thing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »

I sometimes can tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. Several demos actually crossed party lines to support the measure, and the Dema made sure it fell just short of the 60 votes needed to pass.

So minority votes should pass legislation?  I mean, is this a parody post?

You want the Keystone, more people don't want it therefore you lose.  That's why we vote.  Sorry the oil companies can't ramrod a pipeline through a state that doesn't want it to help Canadian oil get to China and India.

Serious question:  if this such a great deal, why doesn't Canada do it in Canada?

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
Someone tell the oil companies they can use their wealth to influence the political process.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »

You are a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) who doesn't understand the difference between WTI and Brent Crude.
I'm the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) because I post an article sourcing info from the company who wants to build the pipeline destroying the Republican talking point?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »

So minority votes should pass legislation?  I mean, is this a parody post?

You want the Keystone, more people don't want it therefore you lose.  That's why we vote.  Sorry the oil companies can't ramrod a pipeline through a state that doesn't want it to help Canadian oil get to China and India.

Serious question:  if this such a great deal, why doesn't Canada do it in Canada?

More people don't want it? I'm not sure you're understanding what happened. A bipartisan majority voted in favor of the pipeline. It lost only because 60 votes were needed. I dare say a majority of the population also supports the pipeline.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
And I'm right. From The Hill:

New polling data shows strong support for approving the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline that the Obama administration rejected in January, a decision that unleashed a torrent of GOP attacks against President Obama.

The Pew Research Center poll released Thursday finds 66 percent who have heard about the issue say the proposed pipeline to bring oil sands from Alberta, Canada, to Gulf Coast refineries should be approved, while 23 percent say it shouldn’t.

The data reveals a partisan split but substantial Democratic support as well. Among Republicans who have heard about the pipeline issue, 84 percent back it, compared to 49 percent of Democrats. The poll also shows that fewer Democrats than Republicans are familiar with Keystone.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
So why not in Canada?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 03:19:19 PM »
don't the republicans own the senate or something too.

sheesh, even they don't want this garbage.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite