Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323353 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3600 on: March 01, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
Seriously, give resistance bands a shot. Cheaper, no ridiculous shipping cost, easy to store and travel with. I could see someone still wanting a squat rack at home, but most free weights are obsolete imo unless you’re a body builder and place a huge emphasis on symmetrical training on each side.

any swolecats ITT have any thoughts about Tonal or other home gyms that use magnetic resistance rather than gravity? seems like magnets would be an absolute slam dunk in terms of dialing up an exact amount of resistance w/o having to have any free weights and i would think for even the swolest of swolecats the equivalent magnetic resistance you could get is a lot more than with free weights.

But hey i get it...just as some people prefer the feel of turning a page or writing down every bank transaction to balance their checkbook, i'm sure there are some ppl that are just old school and would prefer to slam a heavy object down on the ground and walk away triumphantly.  Was just curious of anyone had opinions about it. thanks go cats.
much more satisfying to clang and bang. I've never tried magnetic resistance. I have done bands and a thing called crossover symmetry. Crossover symmetry is amazeballs for helping with nagging pains and strengthening those tiny muscles and tendons.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 01, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
Seriously, give resistance bands a shot. Cheaper, no ridiculous shipping cost, easy to store and travel with. I could see someone still wanting a squat rack at home, but most free weights are obsolete imo unless you’re a body builder and place a huge emphasis on symmetrical training on each side.

any swolecats ITT have any thoughts about Tonal or other home gyms that use magnetic resistance rather than gravity? seems like magnets would be an absolute slam dunk in terms of dialing up an exact amount of resistance w/o having to have any free weights and i would think for even the swolest of swolecats the equivalent magnetic resistance you could get is a lot more than with free weights.

But hey i get it...just as some people prefer the feel of turning a page or writing down every bank transaction to balance their checkbook, i'm sure there are some ppl that are just old school and would prefer to slam a heavy object down on the ground and walk away triumphantly.  Was just curious of anyone had opinions about it. thanks go cats.
Not the same thing but my rowing machine uses magnetic resistance and I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 01, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
I have old coworkers who work at Tonal and Mirror ama

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM »
Why do they cost so much?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 01, 2021, 12:01:00 PM »

I like the idea of the Tonal. Less space and the variety of resistance is appealing. I don't have any interest in the fixed training though. Like, I don't mind doing the same workout and that is what I normally do on my own, but listening to the same trainer say the same thing every time you did that specific workout would drive me nuts. Do you have to subscribe? I would probably be way more inclined to purchase if you could just get the machine as opposed to the screen and the "personal trainer" subscription.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 01, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I like the idea of the Tonal. Less space and the variety of resistance is appealing. I don't have any interest in the fixed training though. Like, I don't mind doing the same workout and that is what I normally do on my own, but listening to the same trainer say the same thing every time you did that specific workout would drive me nuts. Do you have to subscribe? I would probably be way more inclined to purchase if you could just get the machine as opposed to the screen and the "personal trainer" subscription.

you can use it without subscribing

https://knowledge.tonal.com/s/article/Membership-Subscription

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 01, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
I have never heard of such a thing. Wouldn’t magnetic resistance decrease rapidly the further away you pulled the “weight” from whatever is holding it back?

i don't really know the specs on it but just from seeing the commercials it looks like handles attached to cords...and i would imagine those cords are wrapped around some kind of flywheel and the magnetic resistance comes in as like...basically the magnets are resisting allowing that flywheel to spin, so it doesn't really matter how far away the handles get since the strength of the magnetic field is only being applied to the flywheel. Probably very similar to SD's rowing machine although i think the new fancy thing w/ rowing machines is using water to create hydraulic resistance but similar idea.

I agree w/ YLA about the satisfying clang and bang of free weights but i could see this being a good alternative for folks who don't have unlimited space to store free weights or maybe they have small knucklehead children who could hurt themselves if they managed to get in there unsupervised

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 01, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
I have never heard of such a thing. Wouldn’t magnetic resistance decrease rapidly the further away you pulled the “weight” from whatever is holding it back?

Probably very similar to SD's rowing machine although i think the new fancy thing w/ rowing machines is using water to create hydraulic resistance

I believe that's the very very old thing w/ rowing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 01, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »

i don't really know the specs on it but just from seeing the commercials it looks like handles attached to cords...and i would imagine those cords are wrapped around some kind of flywheel and the magnetic resistance comes in as like...basically the magnets are resisting allowing that flywheel to spin, so it doesn't really matter how far away the handles get since the strength of the magnetic field is only being applied to the flywheel. Probably very similar to SD's rowing machine although i think the new fancy thing w/ rowing machines is using water to create hydraulic resistance but similar idea.

I agree w/ YLA about the satisfying clang and bang of free weights but i could see this being a good alternative for folks who don't have unlimited space to store free weights or maybe they have small knucklehead children who could hurt themselves if they managed to get in there unsupervised
That makes sense. I’m a fan of resistance bands for all the same reasons you just mention, but another big plus is they’re way cheaper and require zero mounting to use.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 01, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I think they may have changed this. This sentence in the what is included if you don't subscribe section also seems weird.

"You will have three basic movements to choose from: handle, bar, and rope moves."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 01, 2021, 02:15:53 PM »
For reference, these are what I’ve been using the last few months: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZXTCCM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_Y1QPPSCZ4ZN1WYDJN7A0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 01, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »

That makes sense. I’m a fan of resistance bands for all the same reasons you just mention, but another big plus is they’re way cheaper and require zero mounting to use.

Agree, Was a clanger forever and had to adjust with Covid. I thought about getting a rack and bench for squats and bench mostly. I decided to get some bands and see how it went and I love them. I know i'm not getting the same as when I do barbell squats and bench, but i've found different things to do that I really like and i'm having success. I have the adjustable dumbbells as well and i get a pretty good workout in. The low cost of bands and the not having a giant cage in my basement is also a plus.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 01, 2021, 02:23:43 PM »
Agree, Was a clanger forever and had to adjust with Covid. I thought about getting a rack and bench for squats and bench mostly. I decided to get some bands and see how it went and I love them. I know i'm not getting the same as when I do barbell squats and bench, but i've found different things to do that I really like and i'm having success. I have the adjustable dumbbells as well and i get a pretty good workout in. The low cost of bands and the not having a giant cage in my basement is also a plus.

Yeah, I think the biggest difference with bands is they’re not as well suited for big compound movements, but they’re awesome for targeting specific muscle groups. The workouts I’ve done are actually perfect for WFH cause I can do them right next to my desk and it only takes 30-40 minutes at a time, 5 days a week.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 01, 2021, 02:27:03 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I think they may have changed this. This sentence in the what is included if you don't subscribe section also seems weird.

"You will have three basic movements to choose from: handle, bar, and rope moves."

I sent a message to ask!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 01, 2021, 03:05:49 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I sent a message to ask!

I'd want some early adopters to work out the kinks.  $49 monthly almost bothers me more than the $3k but expensive +subscriptions seems to be the accepted business model.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: March 01, 2021, 04:18:56 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I sent a message to ask!

I'd want some early adopters to work out the kinks.  $49 monthly almost bothers me more than the $3k but expensive +subscriptions seems to be the accepted business model.

Agree, the machine itself seems impressive. I just don't think I would want the screen or find the sub useful. I get that this is the model these days, but I would rarely if ever use their canned workouts. Maybe a small screen to track some things or whatever would be useful.  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: March 01, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »
So you have to buy a year at $49/month when you get the machine. After that you get the basics (3 movements plus counter on screen I think). Also I was told no discount code so they are probably losing a shitload of money.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:38 PM »

bay area/nyc salaries

I sent a message to ask!

Subscriptions are how these companies get VC investment. Basically no product gets touched by them without it (which honestly is probably for the best)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: March 01, 2021, 09:31:53 PM »
I am a Peloton basic bitch now after doing one ride on my new bike.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: March 12, 2021, 11:11:59 AM »
I’ve been trying to eat better and not eat later at night. Not really any exercise change but I weighed myself today and I’ve lost 25lbs.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: March 12, 2021, 11:22:21 AM »
I’ve been trying to eat better and not eat later at night. Not really any exercise change but I weighed myself today and I’ve lost 25lbs.

That's awesome.

Diet and portion control is like 90% of the game.  Exercise is important for health and feeling better tho.  I am on the journey and down about 20 lbs myself.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:41 PM »
I had been on 3 ride losing streak with my numbers kjw. I also watched an ad that was for watching like the Tour de France or something and jt had kjw stats for riders during the race and lmao holy crap it is so funny, like 500 kjw. I can’t even.

I think I need to get a pre work out routine with a little bit of protein and a banana and water and then get after it.  I don’t usually eat all day at work and so by the time I get home I don’t have enough energy to get in a big workout, but I also don’t want to eat dinner before workout.

Thoughts?

Also any other #pelotoncats here? I need to add some # if anyone has some recommendos

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 16, 2021, 08:31:50 PM »
I had been on 3 ride losing streak with my numbers kjw. I also watched an ad that was for watching like the Tour de France or something and jt had kjw stats for riders during the race and lmao holy crap it is so funny, like 500 kjw. I can’t even.

I think I need to get a pre work out routine with a little bit of protein and a banana and water and then get after it.  I don’t usually eat all day at work and so by the time I get home I don’t have enough energy to get in a big workout, but I also don’t want to eat dinner before workout.

Thoughts?

Also any other #pelotoncats here? I need to add some # if anyone has some recommendos

everyone at my wife's work has one and she's intrigued and feels like she's missing out on the cool kids' club but also kinda doesn't want one just because she doesn't want to join the cool kids club on principle.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: March 16, 2021, 08:33:27 PM »
The real joule is having fun with your friends*

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: March 16, 2021, 08:36:09 PM »

Thoughts?

everyone at my wife's work has one and she's intrigued and feels like she's missing out on the cool kids' club but also kinda doesn't want one just because she doesn't want to join the cool kids club on principle.

As someone who absolutely hates working out, it is pretty great.