Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327686 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #2525 on: April 15, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
CNS have you rowed before?  I ask because you need to have proper technique on an erg to keep from injuring your back.

A good thing to work on while on the erg is your split per 500m. (Big # in the center obviously)

http://www.concept2.com/news/500m-split-what-does-it-mean
Depending on what your goals are there are a few different ways to approach the erg to get to those objectives.

Meh, I have been doing it for like 3 weeks now and all is well.  I have been pushing it pretty hard lately(580 cals this morning in 40min) without incident or any strain.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 28, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
Joined Prairie life.  Forgot how Great Gym People watching is!

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 28, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »
Keto....you guys.....

This is pretty great.  Been on this for about 3.5 weeks.  10#, 1% BF, no energy crashes, never hungry, don't have to eat all the damn time, every single workout feels energetic and strong.  I should have tried this a while ago.

Been doing this since 1/2/16.  Down 35 lbs as of last week.  All other results are similar.  I'm amazed. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
There's a guide service up in BC and their guides mostly keto.  And it's so they can haul food closer to 200 cal/oz into the back country, with almost all calories coming from fat.  Carbs are much heavier, ~90 cal/oz.  Kinda nutso and interesting.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
I just started keto this week!

I feel like ass.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 28, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
There's a guide service up in BC and their guides mostly keto.  And it's so they can haul food closer to 200 cal/oz into the back country, with almost all calories coming from fat.  Carbs are much heavier, ~90 cal/oz.  Kinda nutso and interesting.

They may say that is why, but that is silly.  It is an awesome way to eat for guides though.  Being fat adapted would be the best way of keeping energy high for long ass hikes while carrying a bunch of crap in or meat out.  It gives you the ability to go a long time without food without crashing.  It basically gives you the freedom to be gone all day and exerting yourself a bunch over a long period of time without near the negatives that you would face if you were downing a bunch of carbs.

It's pretty great.  I don't need caffeine anymore.  I sleep much better now too.

I have been messing around with fasting while on it.  I used to get pretty hungry every 4 yrs or so.  I have gone 24hrs three different times in the last 4 weeks and wasn't even hungry when I broke.  The more I hear about this stuff, the more I wish it was available, and I interested, 20 yrs ago.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 28, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
I just started keto this week!

I feel like ass.

I kinda eased in.  I was already pretty carb restricted(around 155g-200g a day) when I found it, so my down time was a slight headache for a day or two.  I have heard a few different podcasts where ppl on the diet have said that MCT oil in the morning can help force your body by the shitty feeling days.  Quest Nutrition makes an MCT oil chowder that mixes really good with coffee or even water.  I use it with water before working out in the mornings.  It tastes like really really thin milk almost.  Might give that a try.

Either that or a tablespoon of coconut oil in the coffee.  Doesn't taste as good, but it's not horrible.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
all I need you to tell me is that this is normal and it goes away.  I used to eat a LOT of carbs, and I think I've been right around 20-25g per day for the last few days.

I tried to go even lower, but apparently the bbq sauce I used for some of my meet was pretty carby (which I found out by checking the label again last night).  probably because of the sugar.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 28, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »
Yep.  Goes away.  Make sure you don't oops into sugar in the next few days.  That will make it last longer.  Stay as all in as you can.  If you don't No Man's Land will keep you feeling like crap.

Cook. 

There is no place on this eating plan for ppl that don't want to cook unless you can afford for someone else to do it for you(not a restaurant, either).  Carbs are rough ridin' everywhere.  Being on this has really pissed me off regarding how basically everything involved added sugar.  It is outrageous. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »

I used to get pretty hungry every 4 yrs or so.
You should see a doctor.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 28, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
It was the eating plan I was on.  It was designed to do that.  Small amts of food but often.  It is a really common strategy right now.

Also, I did go see a doctor.  He told me to keep doing what I was doing.  When trying to discuss weight loss/nutrition specifics, he had no real clue and whisked me out of the office as fast as possible.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
Yep.  Goes away.  Make sure you don't oops into sugar in the next few days.  That will make it last longer.  Stay as all in as you can.  If you don't No Man's Land will keep you feeling like crap.

Cook. 

There is no place on this eating plan for ppl that don't want to cook unless you can afford for someone else to do it for you(not a restaurant, either).  Carbs are rough ridin' everywhere.  Being on this has really pissed me off regarding how basically everything involved added sugar.  It is outrageous.
I've been eating eggs and meat at night and chipotle salads (with double meet, cheese) for lunch to get started.  gonna cook up a few pounds of buffalo chicken tonight or tomorrow.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
I had to lower the amt of chicken I was eating.  I switched to fattier protein.  Too much protein will keep you from Ketosis too.  Eating more pork, burger, and steak than before.  Still not a lot, I am keeping my daily protein around 150g so that I don't get kicked out.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »

They may say that is why, but that is silly.  It is an awesome way to eat for guides though.  Being fat adapted would be the best way of keeping energy high for long ass hikes while carrying a bunch of crap in or meat out.  It gives you the ability to go a long time without food without crashing.  It basically gives you the freedom to be gone all day and exerting yourself a bunch over a long period of time without near the negatives that you would face if you were downing a bunch of carbs.

It's pretty great.  I don't need caffeine anymore.  I sleep much better now too.

I have been messing around with fasting while on it.  I used to get pretty hungry every 4 yrs or so.  I have gone 24hrs three different times in the last 4 weeks and wasn't even hungry when I broke.  The more I hear about this stuff, the more I wish it was available, and I interested, 20 yrs ago.

I'd have to go back and listen again, but the guys are ounce counters for sure.  They have most everything very dialed, have some guides that are 1500 cal/day type folks and some that are 3500ish, some lost massive weight and some are maintainers.  Just every guy/body is different.

I myself like fruits and vegetables too much to really try this.  I definitely try to stay away from pastas, breads (most grains), and of course sugars.  But I never have struggled with weight or being fat, always been the lean athletic type, sometimes softer than others.  Later this summer I will try my best to get rid of every ounce of spare fat on my body while not sacrificing muscle mass.  That will probably suck.  And I might regret it anyway.  Honestly, I need to kill about three or four deer a year to eat how I want to eat.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 28, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
CNS you should research grain fed vs grass fed meats, omega-3 vs omega-6 fatty acid contents.  Heard that same girl on another podcast (girl from Heather's Choice) and she basically says the grain fed meats have high omega-6 which serve to stiffen, inflame, make sore your joints, whereas the omega-3 does the opposite.  I have no idea if she's full of it or not. You should research and report back.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
It was the eating plan I was on.  It was designed to do that.  Small amts of food but often.  It is a really common strategy right now.

Also, I did go see a doctor.  He told me to keep doing what I was doing.  When trying to discuss weight loss/nutrition specifics, he had no real clue and whisked me out of the office as fast as possible.
I just think a person sound eat more than once every leap year.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 28, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »
Its a ratio thing. Most of the O6's come from industrial seed oil, supposedly.  Canola, etc. 

You need some O6, but iirc, you want something like 2:1 or 3:1 O3:O6. 

I decided that I am not going to get into the grass fed vs corn fed thing.  Most corn fed beef was grass fed for all but the last couple weeks of it's life, from what I understand.  I just can't believe the meat being that much diff, and if it is, I don't want to afford the huge increase in cost.  Butter, cream, etc are something different and I am trying to get my grocer to provide me options on this. 

Until then, I am focusing on what I can control and what I want to afford.  I figure that if I do what I am doing, not splitting hairs as absolutely far as they can be split is fine. 

One of the three main sources I have found for info on this (Dr. Dominic D'Augustino) seems to think a modified keto is better than full on anyway(low carbs, moderate protein, high fat).  That is where I am trying to land.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: April 28, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »

I just think a person sound eat more than once every leap year.

That y is way too close to the h on the keyboard, imo.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 28, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »
CNS what are your staple meals?  I'm a little worried about variety. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »
CNS what are your staple meals?  I'm a little worried about variety.

I have quite a few.  I have taken a bunch of my old ones and just put them with salad instead of rice, or something like that.

Breakfast this week:
Diced red jalepeno, red pepper, ham, and green onion.  Scrambled into a couple eggs.  I separate three egg yokes from the whites, cook the yokes in 1tbsp butter, then drizzle the yoke and butter over the eggs, then put a slab of havarti over it all and wait a few minutes until it melts.  Sometimes I top that with hollandaise.  It is probably top 5 breakfast I have had. 

My lunches are almost always a huge salad.  I pack them in the mornings.  Saute 2 cups kale in 1tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil.  Just break it down until it is a little soft.  I put that on top of about 1/5 c raw spinach and 1.5c romaine.  Sea salt and ground pepper.  Stalk of celery chopped up.  Top with 2tbsp good olive oil.  Lately I have been buying a really creamy artichoke/parm/spinach dip and smearing it on top.  Some diced grilled chicken/pork/or steak(whatever is left over).  Sometimes I hold back the dip and use hollandaise or something like that.  It is really freaking good.  Today I used Mascopone cheese in place of dip with a little left over beef gravy from the beef bouguignon I cooked this weekend. 

Dinner is where I get my variety in dishes:  Also, I cook a lot and really like it, so some of them are involved
1. modified Beef bourguignon with cauliflower
2. broiled salmon with broiled asparagus, topped with hollandaise or butter
3. Blackened flounder with a creamy shrimp scampi and broccoli
4. grilled hamburgers(chuck) with salad, havarti cheese, and an avocado
5. grilled chicken breast with regular shrimp scampi and sweet potatoes(yep, I know they are high in carbs but a bunch of the sources I have found on keto still recommend eating them)
6. baked chicken, gravy, some veg of some sort
7. Taco salads
8. grilled steak
9. seared ahi tuna

Butter on top of most things.  Also, get some Morton lite salt.  I prefer sea salt, but evidently, getting potassium and magnesium is really important.  Evidently, keto is a dieretic(sp) diet and you will expel a bunch of both through urine.  I don't eat bananas because of the sugar content, so it is pretty hard to get very much potassium any other way. 

This is mostly in the last two weeks.  We eat a pretty big variety of stuff.  There are plenty more meal options if you want more ideas.

Most of the above stuff is much easier than most ppl think.  If you want actual recipes, let me know.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 28, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
thanks for the info, CNS!  I look forward to trying some of these out.  that breakfast looks insane

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 28, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
holy crap guys. i started keto this week!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: April 28, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »
i tried it a couple years ago but was not in place where i was ready to commit to it on days other than mon.-thurs, which obviously doesn't work.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 28, 2016, 06:00:45 PM »
Is that < 50 grams of carbohydrate?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best