Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 326846 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3925 on: December 14, 2022, 10:45:32 AM »

Looking to get back into strength training after more than 2 years off. I’m older, feeling older and am out of shape. Plan on 5x5 (prob stronglifts).

Former lifts 5x

Squat 365 (form prob suspect that heavy)
DL 385
Bench 295
Row 240 (probs with grip)
OHP 185

How light/heavy should I start after so much time off?

Go very light

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: December 14, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »

Looking to get back into strength training after more than 2 years off. I’m older, feeling older and am out of shape. Plan on 5x5 (prob stronglifts).

Former lifts 5x

DL 385
Bench 295
OHP 185

Go very light

OMG I could feel my long-unused thighs/quads being destroyed with very light weight.

Worked way up to 225 on squat, but no way I can do 5x5 w that weight. Same w 185 for bench.

So far it looks like

Squat 185 at most
Bench 165 at most
OHP 95 at most

Prob lighter.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: December 14, 2022, 11:13:53 AM »

Former lifts 5x

DL 385
Bench 295
OHP 185

Go very light

OMG I could feel my long-unused thighs/quads being destroyed with very light weight.

Worked way up to 225 on squat, but no way I can do 5x5 w that weight. Same w 185 for bench.

So far it looks like

Squat 185 at most
Bench 165 at most
OHP 95 at most

Prob lighter.
Ha!  I have started/stopped lifting more than anyone on this blog and it is ridiculous how painful recovering from the first workout is.  I used to start @ 185 for bench but now I pretend I am a freshman in high school again and start @ 135. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: December 14, 2022, 11:14:55 AM »
skipping just one week of lifting a muscle group leads to soreness the following week for me.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: December 14, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »

Former lifts 5x

DL 385
Bench 295
OHP 185

Go very light

So far it looks like

Squat 185 at most
Bench 165 at most
OHP 95 at most

Prob lighter.
You’re going to be sore for a very long time. Start taking creatine after lifting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: December 14, 2022, 01:18:39 PM »
why go that heavy? that honestly doesn't seem very light. you'll be plenty sore without going that heavy and there's a good chance of injury at least with squat and OHP. Most important thing now is to not get hurt IMO

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: December 14, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
I'm 40, used to do reps of 225 benching when I worked out.  Haven't done anything in a while.  I'd probably start at 135 until I could rep that multiple sets of 10 and then start bumping up 10-20 pounds from there.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: December 14, 2022, 02:35:07 PM »
Heavier than I thought it would feel. May just end up cutting those original numbers in half. I’m not trying to plateau early or get turned off.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: December 14, 2022, 04:18:05 PM »
your legs and hips are going to be so sore!!!!!! I am a terrible stretcher so that prob didn't help, but I basically stopped doing much leg work around age 40 because of the constant soreness. I could get it tolerable and then I would skip a leg work out for one week and then the following workout was like I was starting all over again with the soreness so I basically gave up. Will still do some bodyweight stuff on occasion, but most of my "leg work" is riding the bike these days. Getting old sucks ass. Good luck.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: December 19, 2022, 09:01:19 AM »
12 Days of Christmas WOD today:

1 Jerk
2 PC
3 DL
4 burpee over bar
5 wall ball shots
6 pullups
7 jumping lunges
8 T2B (i scaled to K2E)
9 HSPU (I scaled to HRPU)
10 cal bike
11 cal row
12 burpee MU (i scaled to burpee pullup)

don't ask how long it took me but I feel good about finishing.

also, played 3 -0n - 3 basketball with my college-aged nephews and nephew in-law. My team won. Felt good.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: December 19, 2022, 09:45:25 AM »
That one is the worst.. doesn't matter what the movements are. I am going to guess an hour?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: December 19, 2022, 12:01:50 PM »
That one is the worst.. doesn't matter what the movements are. I am going to guess an hour?
44 min. Only used 95#. Thankfully, no thrusters were slotted on Days 7 - 9.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: December 19, 2022, 01:05:10 PM »
Was sore, but not anything I haven’t felt before. Not extreme soreness. Definitely going to ramp way down when I start training again in earnest.

Simple Stronglifts 5x5, Plan for 12 weeks

Session A: Squat, Bench, Row (Pendlay)
Session B: Squat, OHP, DL
Week 1: ABA
Week 2: BAB
All lifts 5x5, except DL 1x5

Starting weights ——> 12-week progression*
Squat 185 ——> 365
DL 225 ——> 405
Bench 150 ——> 262.5
Row 150 ——> 262.5
OHP 95 ——> 185

May begin to plateau on Squat and OHP prior to 12 weeks, so will probably be a tad short on those numbers.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: December 19, 2022, 03:52:37 PM »
might belong in the brag about some stud thing thread but was bet I couldn't (cold) do 15 Jerks at 185# in a row. Got a little spicy but did it and now someone else gets to finish the rest of my 800 lunges I had left to get to 3000 for the month

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: December 20, 2022, 10:08:25 AM »
might belong in the brag about some stud thing thread but was bet I couldn't (cold) do 15 Jerks at 185# in a row. Got a little spicy but did it and now someone else gets to finish the rest of my 800 lunges I had left to get to 3000 for the month
Can confirm that this feat of strength belongs in the brag about some stud thing thread.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: December 20, 2022, 12:12:47 PM »

for some reason I read this as snatch instead of jerk and I about fell over

I don't know why you would do that cold though? seems dangerous

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: December 20, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »

for some reason I read this as snatch instead of jerk and I about fell over

I don't know why you would do that cold though? seems dangerous
It was a very dumb idea. Sometimes the T is pumping at the dojo though.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: January 10, 2023, 08:58:03 PM »
My wife and daughter wanted a treadmill for our workout room so I researched them and ended up buying a NordicTrack model.  I didn't think I would care much for it, but I've enjoyed the hell out of the trail hikes that they have in their online program.  I am currently working my way through the national parks in Cali and end up doing about 2 miles or so a night.
@mikec2w

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: February 21, 2023, 10:00:34 AM »
Anybody with pro healthy snack tips?  I'm trying to drop a few lbs these days and snacks are my downfall.  I've used Halo Top and quest bars to help with some of the tendencies but didn't know if there was some other healthy-ish product out there that someone vouches for.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: February 21, 2023, 10:19:57 AM »
Anybody with pro healthy snack tips?  I'm trying to drop a few lbs these days and snacks are my downfall.  I've used Halo Top and quest bars to help with some of the tendencies but didn't know if there was some other healthy-ish product out there that someone vouches for.

What are you looking for? Low calorie? Satiating?

My go-to on the road is nuts and dried fruit. Pork Rinds are good if your on low fat. I don’t think any low calorie snacks are too good really but there are tons of fried veggie options

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: February 21, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »

Eliminating them is the only way friend. Cutting up some veggies is prob your best bet. Do that and dip in hummus, but try and limit that as much as possible. All those snack bars are just extra sugar and calories. If you need something sweet, google a peanut butter ball recipe or something. I used to make those with some PB, protein chowder, shaved almonds, dried fruit, etc. Those can be calorie bombs as well so make them small and limit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: February 21, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »

Eliminating them is the only way friend. Cutting up some veggies is prob your best bet. Do that and dip in hummus, but try and limit that as much as possible. All those snack bars are just extra sugar and calories. If you need something sweet, google a peanut butter ball recipe or something. I used to make those with some PB, protein chowder, shaved almonds, dried fruit, etc. Those can be calorie bombs as well so make them small and limit.

Yeah, I would only do the Quest if it was for the protein after a workout as they're pretty calorie-dense.  I know I'm going to snack some, but I start tracking which helps me cut down.  If I know I have to record it, I think twice about eating it.

I'm mostly looking low-cal for now.  After I get into a rhythm, I'll do more protein with my lifting but mostly I'm doing cardio and high reps now.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: February 21, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »
Wasabi Peas

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: February 21, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »
This is one of my new favorites for a snack (if you like yogurt).

https://www.twogoodyogurt.com/lower-sugar-yogurt/

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: February 21, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »