Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 326221 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3850 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:15 AM »
If I don't eat and and have caffeine that morning I usually get shaky/not feeling right. No way I could go three days not eating and still workout.
I lied.. just did this, kind of invigorating. drank 2 liters a day (plus additional water) of 1t of potassium chloride, 1t of himalayan salt, 1t baking soda, 1t epsom salt. About the only times I'm hungry are at night when I'm not doing anything.

intrigued by this. i've been doing some IF. never more than ~23 hours, but am often surprised at how not-miserable i am toward the end of the fast.
update to this.. after doing it so far I'm not hungry in the morning so if I eat anything its a banana or an apple, skip lunch (unless I go to lunch with someone) and then have dinner. No snacking during the day either. also haven't had a cup of coffee since I started this  :sdeek:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: May 21, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »
I need to not skip leg day so much, today was brutal.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: May 23, 2022, 07:55:38 AM »
Anyone planning to do Murph this weekend? Our gym has been on a Murph prep kick over the past six weeks. Almost blacked out doing air squats to a plate last week. I think a half Murph would be my limit right now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: May 23, 2022, 07:56:11 AM »
Anyone planning to do Murph this weekend? Our gym has been on a Murph prep kick over the past six weeks. Almost blacked out doing air squats to a plate last week. I think a half Murph would be my limit right now.
Nope my weekend exercise is strictly basketball now

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: May 23, 2022, 08:30:10 AM »
Nope my weekend exercise is strictly basketball now
Our weekend basketball group seems to be dissolving for the summer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: May 23, 2022, 09:10:36 AM »
I'm in Minnesota now, until September and I have to alter my weight workouts because I'm deep in the woods. I usually make heavy use of machines for weights, exceptions are a smooth press for squats and a bench press. The place I'm working out has almost nothing but dumbbells, like 5 different sets, so on Friday I had to circuit train with dumbbells. Haven't used them in 30 years. It's Monday and my bicep and back still feel like I popped every muscle in them. I think I'm too old and inexperienced to continue to use them without hurting myself. Looks like when I'm capable of weights again I will be using resistance bands.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: May 23, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »
I'm in Minnesota now, until September and I have to alter my weight workouts because I'm deep in the woods. I usually make heavy use of machines for weights, exceptions are a smooth press for squats and a bench press. The place I'm working out has almost nothing but dumbbells, like 5 different sets, so on Friday I had to circuit train with dumbbells. Haven't used them in 30 years. It's Monday and my bicep and back still feel like I popped every muscle in them. I think I'm too old and inexperienced to continue to use them without hurting myself. Looks like when I'm capable of weights again I will be using resistance bands.
I really like dumbbells. I just keep very modest expectations for how much I can lift with them. We did this movement called "devil press" with them this morning. Felt good.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: May 23, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
Try really low weight and do manmakers.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: May 23, 2022, 10:29:56 AM »
I’m a big fan of resistance bands, mostly because my schedule can suck and it’s the only way I’ve forced myself into a consistent workout routine.

I still think weights are great for targeting specific muscle groups since some bands workouts end up putting a lot of pressure on other joints to stabilize, but I think most people can go weeks if not months using just bands with decent results unless you’re a body builder or something.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: May 23, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »

Sounds like you need to drop the weight in your workout.  FWIW, the same thing usually happens to me when I get going after a layoff and I have to remind myself that I'm not at the Rec anymore.
@mikec2w

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:38 PM »
Try really low weight and do manmakers.

:sdeek:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: May 23, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »
I’m a big fan of resistance bands, mostly because my schedule can suck and it’s the only way I’ve forced myself into a consistent workout routine.

I still think weights are great for targeting specific muscle groups since some bands workouts end up putting a lot of pressure on other joints to stabilize, but I think most people can go weeks if not months using just bands with decent results unless you’re a body builder or something.

I really got into resistance bands at the beginning of the pandemic when gyms closed and I still like them a lot. I use hasfit workouts on YouTube and their own app. A lady I play tennis with, who is a kinesiology professor told me that I should do more weights for faster weight loss, so since I incorporated a 2x a week circuit workout to my routine.

You boys are right that I probably overdid the weight dumbbells are much harder and less forgiving than machines, but I'm still going to chill with them for a while. I didn't enjoy the circuit, the 90 minutes went by a lot slower than it usually does.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: May 23, 2022, 03:37:16 PM »

I really got into resistance bands at the beginning of the pandemic when gyms closed and I still like them a lot. I use hasfit workouts on YouTube and their own app. A lady I play tennis with, who is a kinesiology professor told me that I should do more weights for faster weight loss, so since I incorporated a 2x a week circuit workout to my routine.

You boys are right that I probably overdid the weight dumbbells are much harder and less forgiving than machines, but I'm still going to chill with them for a while. I didn't enjoy the circuit, the 90 minutes went by a lot slower than it usually does.

Do you have a bench available?

If so, go lighter than usual, and lift one side at a time in things like bench, shoulder press, etc.  Don't allow yourself to hold on to the bench, engage core to help balance.  For example, with the bench, keep your feet close together and your off hand on your stomach or just hanging to the floor.  Don't use your body or off hand to brace.  The whole idea is that you have to engage the living crap out of your core as well as whatever muscle you are targeting.  Takes a while to get it down, but they work great. 

Also, look into kettlebell swing but with a dumbell and Turkish get ups.

Manmakers are also amazing at this.  If you don't like them, get pushups into everything. 

Those things all incorporate a lot more muscle than just what your primary target is.  If burning fat is your goal, the amount of muscles this stuff will incorporate is where it's at.

Since you will have to go lighter than usual, plan a circuit with opposing lifts and use the opposing lifts as rest for each other.  Cut out actual down time.  Cut the circuit to like 30 min or less. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: May 23, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
I’m a big fan of kettlebell swings.  Hits a lot of muscle groups and doubles as HIIT. About as minimalist as it gets too if you are not near traditional gym equipment.  I’ve had a 50 lb for several years and it has served me well.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: May 24, 2022, 07:44:29 AM »
I’m a big fan of kettlebell swings.  Hits a lot of muscle groups and doubles as HIIT. About as minimalist as it gets too if you are not near traditional gym equipment.  I’ve had a 50 lb for several years and it has served me well.
KB works very well for goblet squats. The most destroyed my quads have ever been was after a WOD that involved like 90 KB goblet squats.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: May 24, 2022, 08:39:35 AM »
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a39893418/chris-hemsworth-barbell-circuit-workout-instagram/
Did this the other day with a buddy thinking it would be pud city.... It was awful. 10 lunges on each leg without alternating and holding a barbell in one hand was terrible.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: June 09, 2022, 12:43:47 PM »
Used to be real fit when I was a younger cat, then opened a brewery and got less fit, had kids and got even less fit. Then 2 years ago I fractured 4 vertebrae and really went downhill from there.

Woke up about 3 months ago and realized how miserable I felt all the time. Starting working out again after that and at least was feeling healthier.

about a month ago I started using the Noom app to help with diet etc...pretty much love it. Has completely changed how I eat in just a few weeks. (reducing alcohol to just a few drinks a week helped drastically)

Anyways, I've lost about 20 lbs since March and feelin' pretty good! Happy with my weight currently just want to keep getting stronger/more fit now.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: June 09, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
Nice work!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: June 09, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »
Used to be real fit when I was a younger cat, then opened a brewery and got less fit, had kids and got even less fit. Then 2 years ago I fractured 4 vertebrae and really went downhill from there.

Woke up about 3 months ago and realized how miserable I felt all the time. Starting working out again after that and at least was feeling healthier.

about a month ago I started using the Noom app to help with diet etc...pretty much love it. Has completely changed how I eat in just a few weeks. (reducing alcohol to just a few drinks a week helped drastically)

Anyways, I've lost about 20 lbs since March and feelin' pretty good! Happy with my weight currently just want to keep getting stronger/more fit now.

Nice work!!! Where is your brewery?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: June 09, 2022, 03:21:21 PM »

Nice work!!! Where is your brewery?

In KC crossroads, but I sold it in 2020

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: June 10, 2022, 01:17:34 PM »

Woof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: June 10, 2022, 01:49:19 PM »

Woof.

was this one workout? that's a hell of a workout if so. what do the times mean?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: June 10, 2022, 01:59:24 PM »
I do not get CrossFit at all.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: June 10, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »

Woof.

was this one workout? that's a hell of a workout if so. what do the times mean?
One workout but split the reps. My buddy and I started from the bottom and the other two dudes started at the beginning rep wise. those times he was writing so he knew how long it was taking to get through things. It got real spicy after the 200 45# db snatches. thought he was going to puke during the thrusters

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: June 10, 2022, 02:27:58 PM »
I do not get CrossFit at all.
Nobody does.. but it's provocative, get's the people going!