Author Topic: felix rex moves to Cairo  (Read 262459 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #725 on: January 31, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
So not only is Friday gonna be a shitstorm, but now there's a goddamn polio threat? Are you rough ridin' kidding me, Egypt?

It's really Pakistan's fault.  That's where it came from according to the genetic analysis they ran.  rough ridin' psychos there assassinated nine polio workers in the last month.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
I no can do on making videos (see attempts to upload censored family guy clips). However, I met a new potential birfer for the Cairo katpak head. Can't do it this Friday (which will likely be a shitstorm) but may be ready for the next big protest. Is the US media still paying much attention? Cuz it's hilariously mumped up here.

Also, did you guys see the video of the kid using the Nile as cover for chucking rocks at cops? Insider tip: the ones that run away are paid.
the media has a little bit of coverage here and there.  A bit on polio, a bit on Morsi trying to get crap squared away in the east of the country.  What is the situation in Port Said?  Media seems to portray it as them locking out the central government. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #727 on: February 01, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
Port Said is gonna Port Said. Protests will fade after the anniversary and flare up again with the next set of verdicts in March.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
the only reason they protest is to get on CNN.  tell them no one in the US gives fucks about them.  they can throw all the rocks they want at each other, have a bottle rocket rough ridin' party.  no one cares.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
the only reason they protest is to get on CNN.  tell them no one in the US gives fucks about them.  they can throw all the rocks they want at each other, have a bottle rocket rough ridin' party.  no one cares.

If I saw that on my television screen I would definitely stop and take notice, fwiw.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
honest truth, bfart?  i would too. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
felix rex, protest insider, definitely predicted the fun today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21289729

Side note Felix, does the Egyptian media cover the issues flaring up Israel and E1 and the tensions with Iran?
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 02, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »
Good article on the protestors. No easy solution.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-egypt-angry-men-20130202,0,1325602.story

Protesting in Egypt because they have nothing else

Legions of angry young men without prospects battle Egypt's police. They have no political agenda, only anger.

By Jeffrey Fleishman, Los Angeles Times
February 1, 2013, 4:21 p.m.
CAIRO — They are a bedraggled front line, shock troops with scabbed faces and gunshot wounds, many of them boys with runny noses and sandaled feet, standing beyond police barricades with gasoline bombs, swords and stones.

They are legion, angry young men and grade school dropouts without jobs, prospects or political ideologies. They battle Egyptian police through the fog of tear gas, advancing and retreating over charred streets and shattered glass. They are as persistent as horseflies, an endless buzz at the edge of protest.

"We have no other choice but to fight. The political powers don't represent me," said Ahmed Rifai, pulling up his shirt to show off a belly speckled with birdshot wounds. He pointed to a homeless boy at his side. "A child like this shouldn't even be fighting, but he has nothing else."

The forces arrayed against President Mohamed Morsi and his party linked to the Muslim Brotherhood are many: opposition politicians, protest movements, unions and activists. But one of the most volatile threats to the Islamist-led government is embittered youths roaming like ragged armies and harboring little hope two years after the revolution that overthrew Hosni Mubarak.

That passion and despair played out Friday as tens of thousands of Egyptians protested across the country after a week of deadly riots. Rising dissatisfaction with Morsi was evident as firebombs were tossed over the wall of the presidential palace in Cairo and demonstrators in Port Said, where more than 40 people have died, chanted for their coastal city to secede.

Echoing through the protests were voices from a disparate collection of lost boys and anarchists, including jobless waiters and laborers, university students, hard-core soccer fans known as Ultras, looters and thugs. Their ranks also comprise a new group of youths known as the Black Bloc, whose masked members despise the Brotherhood and suddenly appear in streets and alleys to besiege security forces.

The public prosecutor's office has characterized the Black Bloc as an "organized group that participates in terrorist acts ... and [commits] crimes that affect national security."

The danger of such elements has been heightened by a rising supply of arms smuggled from neighboring Libya. The cities of Port Said and Suez are rife with guns that have been turned on security forces. But the weapons of choice for most young men are rocks, pipes, Molotov cocktails and tear gas canisters fired by police, which they hurl back as they disappear, rags to faces, in gray-white plumes.

"Since the revolution everyone has a weapon," said Mahmoud Mostafa, standing along a wall stenciled with the profiles of "martyrs" near Tahrir Square. "If I had a job, I wouldn't even be in this square. There is no opportunity for us. You can't get married. You can't find an affordable apartment. At least we were living under Mubarak. Now we don't even have that."

His friend, Ashraf Mousa, shook his head, a victim of the tumult that has spoiled thousands of lives as the nation nears economic collapse. Like his compatriots, he rails against the Brotherhood but finds no resonance in the opposition. Instead, his politics are shaped by the anger of betrayal.

Fired as a hotel waiter five months ago when unrest kept tourists away, he found kinship on the streets. He was shot by a rubber bullet the other day, which to the wounded is a stamp of bravery and defiance, but also a scar revealing just how far Egypt is from where the revolution had promised it would be.

"We tried to protest peacefully but the police turned on us with violence," he said. "So now we use violence."

Two Egypts share Tahrir Square: peaceful protesters with placards and slogans, and youths who prowl its fringes and fight police at barricade walls protecting the parliament and the reviled Interior Ministry. The clashes often spill beyond the walls. Police give chase down side streets and "thugs" attack buildings, including this week's ransacking of the Intercontinental Hotel along the Nile.

Security forces fire down from the barricades, while the boys hurl stones skyward, hustling along the walls made of thick concrete squares that are stained with graffiti, giving them the appearance of a child's building blocks turned into a dangerous toy. Protesters in Tahrir's center say the young men keep the police at the fringes, preventing them from shutting down demonstrations.

In recent days, rains swept the square: Tents were soggy, mud squished underfoot, painted banners smeared. A torched police van, a trophy of sorts, sat next to a man with a megaphone and another wearing a yellow hard hat. A barefoot girl sold tissues near a boy wearing a gas mask and swinging a stick.

A man clambered over the walls at the square's southern edge. The boys raised stones, lowering them when they saw he was not police. One young man wore goggles, another a black mask. Homeless boys drifted about, collecting rocks, following orders. A youth with a bandaged nose watched a girl on a scooter, her hair flowing, drive over broken glass toward the heart of the square.

"We want the government to provide us with jobs and homes," said Mohamed Elsayed, a 22-year-old fighter. "We can't afford guns, but we've seen people with guns who try to infiltrate between us. We've also seen Brotherhood people fighting on the side of the police. They fire rubber pellet shots at us."

A young man who gave his name only as Sayed stood ready for battle.

"Nothing from the revolution's demands has been fulfilled," he said. "Tomorrow, we are bringing down the regime. We need a government that cares about the country. We need a real leader. Until then, the fighting will continue."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:03 AM »
Nice NPR story on the delivery guys in Cairo who have to dodge protests and clashes. Tabouleh is an embassy favorite. This guy is a boss:

Said says Tabouleh's best and bravest deliveryman is Sayed Masoud Abu Gabal.

"[He's] over 50, and he's more strong than the youth. He's going all [the] time, any order he's going. He's not afraid from anything. 'OK, I'll solve it,' " Said says, describing Abu Gabal's attitude if he finds out a street is shut down. "'l'll go from another way.'"

Abu Gabal walks into the restaurant from a delivery run, and his eyes are red from tear gas.

"I was delivering food nearby and I was caught in the clashes and went into a building to hide. On my way out, riot police were arresting people and I had to show them the delivery receipt to prove I was not with the protesters," he says.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
Nice NPR story on the delivery guys in Cairo who have to dodge protests and clashes. Tabouleh is an embassy favorite. This guy is a boss:

Said says Tabouleh's best and bravest deliveryman is Sayed Masoud Abu Gabal.

"[He's] over 50, and he's more strong than the youth. He's going all [the] time, any order he's going. He's not afraid from anything. 'OK, I'll solve it,' " Said says, describing Abu Gabal's attitude if he finds out a street is shut down. "'l'll go from another way.'"

Abu Gabal walks into the restaurant from a delivery run, and his eyes are red from tear gas.

"I was delivering food nearby and I was caught in the clashes and went into a building to hide. On my way out, riot police were arresting people and I had to show them the delivery receipt to prove I was not with the protesters," he says.
How much does one tip these guys? Seems like it should be a lot.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #735 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
I always tip those guys a lot and also make sure they have wiggle room past my car in traffic.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
Odd thing I learned today: There's certain guilds in Cairo that use Hebrew when discussing pricing, tasks, etc so customers can't understand when they're talking amongst themselves during negotiations. Apparently, this is because these guilds were originally located in primarily Jewish neighborhoods, and when the Jews left (not the Exodus "left" but I think Balfour "left") their local apprentices just adopted the practice. I can't say exactly because the source didn't speak English but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. So, recap: Egyptians use Jewish numbers to screw customers but still refer to the ostensibly unacceptable practice as "jewing them down."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Odd thing I learned today: There's certain guilds in Cairo that use Hebrew when discussing pricing, tasks, etc so customers can't understand when they're talking amongst themselves during negotiations. Apparently, this is because these guilds were originally located in primarily Jewish neighborhoods, and when the Jews left (not the Exodus "left" but I think Balfour "left") their local apprentices just adopted the practice. I can't say exactly because the source didn't speak English but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. So, recap: Egyptians use Jewish numbers to screw customers but still refer to the ostensibly unacceptable practice as "jewing them down."

:lol:   :lol:
I'm purple down

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »

Wow!  That's like really great!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
Felix?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 05, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Felix?

The young crowed were fired up that the night continued with other party-like dancing and music

:thumbs:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #741 on: March 05, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
If there's two things people would associate me with, it's "fired up" and "party like dancing".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 05, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
 :surprised:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
I'm probably going to have nightmares about that creepy ass thing.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #744 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »

chillax, bro. We got this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 06, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »

chillax, bro. We got this.
I assume Morsi.....but can you give more deets and background on this?  Is he really seen as an American puppet? (Like really long post, very intrigued)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #746 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:50 AM »
I may get into it later, but the short and commonly accepted version in Egypt is as follows:

The US made a deal with SCAF that they would continue to provide military aid if they allowed presidential elections to take place. Meanwhile, they used this leverage with Morsy and promised to endorse the vote so long as he promised to maintain the peace treaty with Israel.

This "secret deal" between the US and the MB is conventional wisdom on the street and is believed to be the cause for the perceived US silence towards abuses under Morsy.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
Morsi

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »
Do they know about Kony?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #749 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Koni