Author Topic: felix rex moves to Cairo  (Read 257564 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: felix rex moves to Cairo
« Reply #2950 on: June 28, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Back in DC living that airBnB life. AMA this week to close this thread down?

Preemptive answer to KatKid: 2015 FF auction items are now officially in country.

glad you survived your time there, welcome back!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: September 03, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Random note: An Egyptian parliamentarian said women should get FGM because Egyptian guys can't reliably get boners so it's only fair that nobody has working junk.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: September 03, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
I mean, the fact that FGM is currently illegal and he is calling on people to engage in a crime and human rights violation almost gets overshadowed here.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: September 06, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
I mean, the fact that FGM is currently illegal and he is calling on people to engage in a crime and human rights violation almost gets overshadowed here.

Benghazi!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: October 31, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »
I'm in Jordan now, which is nice and stable enough that it's just kind of "meh" in terms of stories.

But there is a severe water shortage here and there's all kinds of restrictions and conservation measures everywhere (at the office, you push the handle up for "liquids" and down only for "solids" etc).

Anyway, my 3-yr old started school this week. After the first day, her teacher told me, "she did very well and always asked to go to the restroom. However, water is very scarce here and we do not observe the practice of what your daughter called a 'courtesy flush'."

Maybe my proudest moment as a father.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: October 31, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »
How long until you overthrow this seemingly stable government?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 31, 2016, 07:37:32 AM »
walking in dibbini's wonderland!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 31, 2016, 07:45:49 AM »
How long until you overthrow this seemingly stable government?

Honestly, this place is a little like early 2000s Egypt. It could go to crap at any time if there's any economic downturn. God forbid.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: October 31, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »
Ever see the queen?

:fatty:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
PETRA!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »
Jordan sounds nice, except for the water part.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 31, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »
Ever see the queen?

:fatty:

Only in the news, where's she's credited with every good thing ever.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 31, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
Jordan sounds nice, except for the water part.

It is very nice. Well, this one part of Amman at least, which is all we've seen. Even the water part isn't a hassle (we're insulated from it so long as we remember to keep our tanks full at the house).

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 31, 2016, 10:44:54 AM »
how is the commute?  Is the 2 wheel game anything like the ruff riders in Cairo?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »
We live a half mile from the embassy. There's basically no traffic, and I have seen maybe two motorcycles and zero animals on the roads in the month we've been here (but again, we haven't left our neighborhood really). Also, the weather is great. And there's a pretty elite butcher down the street (with long bones, even). So other than having a pizza delivered in a cattle truck the first week, not much to say. There IS a shocking amount of redheads here.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 02, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
Have you had holiday in Tel Aviv yet?  It's kinda bullshit you didn't get a stint in Israel first.  Tell me more about the redheads.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 06, 2016, 05:53:12 AM »
Have you had holiday in Tel Aviv yet?  It's kinda bullshit you didn't get a stint in Israel first.  Tell me more about the redheads.

Sounds like an easy trip to Israel, which is nice.  And redheads are a common demographic in the Levant. I mean, I knew that beforehand as like a grad school book fact or something so I guess I should have expected SOME redheads but I was not expecting so many.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: November 06, 2016, 06:30:09 AM »
How's the Jordanian pizza game?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: November 06, 2016, 06:33:26 AM »
How's the Jordanian pizza game?

Overall, the food is pretty good. Much better than Egypt, both the local and international cuisine.

Also, can you buy this in the states? I'd never seen it before and thought it was hilarious:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2970 on: November 06, 2016, 06:55:38 AM »
Not on the shelf in Kentucky.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: November 06, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
Wow that's awesome

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: November 06, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
Also, notice the branding on the "American Garden" ketchup. That brand is everywhere in the region. It's awful, but I love their labels. That is "US Grade A"/"born in the USA" U.S. ketchup.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Also, notice the branding on the "American Garden" ketchup. That brand is everywhere in the region. It's awful, but I love their labels. That is "US Grade A"/"born in the USA" U.S. ketchup.
Any good tshirts?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: November 07, 2016, 04:36:33 AM »
Any good tshirts?

Egypt had a much stronger t-shirt game. I did see one at the grocery store the other day that said "Afghanistan: Take the Risk" with a picture of like an arrow or spear or something.

Side note about grocery stores: observing enormous fat and angry-looking Arab men (this demographic is usually 50+ yrs) meticulously pick out fruit and disdainfully toss aside those they find wanting has become one of my favorite things. These guys spend 15-20 minutes just handling fruit, knocking on it, rolling it around in their hands, and then tossing it aside and digging around for a better specimen. It's fascinating. And they look so sternly pleased and arrogant when they find something acceptable.